Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
ERROR_SUCCESS

Default eating rotten food

Advertise Here

i spent half my childhood on the farm. as kids we ate everything we found in the woods. wild fruit and berries and wild onions etc. we didnt take it home and wash it. we just sat there and ate it in the field. we ate raw wheat as we were trucking it around...we butchered animals out in the yard.

as an adult i have eaten food all over the world and have never been sick. i know people that throw good food away when the 'government' expiration date passes?

when i was in college i couldnt afford to throw away old meat...i ate it. i routinely scrapped mold off food and ate it. if it didnt taste bad ..i ate it!

so when is food rotten?...too rotten to eat...?

the power went out again the other day.... the city cant afford to really maintain the network soit constantly blows up. what will happen when the real SHTF starts and all refridgeration stops?

i think my never getting sick in third world countries has a lot to do with my eating everything that couldnt get away as a kid....and i have had to eat at some realllly disgusting places in foreign countries....

should we be training ourselves to eat 'older' food with more bacteria present...?

to show you how stupid and paranoid one can get...the media really pushed the SARs and birds are evil bit on tv. i was eating some blackberries off the vines and realized that birds had actually been on the vines eating the same blackberries...so i'll get SARs....!!!!! birds have always been on the blackberries and are on the blackberries from the grocery store but if they come from the grocery store they are 'ok'...LOL.

i ate all the blackberries anyway...screw the birds.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 709hannah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

You'll probably be fine why not? I too have eaten lots of things like you describe. If you have a healthy gut you can eat stuff that would surprise most and be just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to theboonedockssaint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Plan Z: Run!

Thanked 17,424 Times in 7,372 Posts

I went on a school trip oversees. One guy was religious about using and sanitizer every hour in the states and on the trip. I always take my chances - except when the TP breaks. Then I wash good.

Anyway. Guess who went to the E.R.

A month later I was eating at a place with .. .. let's say a lot of local color. When we saw a rat run across the floor, the others pushed their plates away and stopped eating.

I finished my meal. I already ate enough to get sick and figured I would at least die with a full stomach. (BTW: I lived)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,059 Times in 930 Posts

food is to rotten to eat once the maggots have eaten it all. if i am hungry i WILL eat it. I have eaten 3 day old fast food burgers out of my hot florida car before..........i ahve never had food poisoning.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,006 Posts

I have caught endless crap from people for this, but.......

Me, wife and both kids have eaten stuff from the fridge that is at least a week or two old. I have a thing about throwing away leftovers.

We always leave leftovers in the skillet (covered) overnight. Sometimes for a couple of days. A little water added (food dries out some when you leave it out), and someone will eventually eat it.

We have eaten KFC that has set out for three days.

I make salmon and beef jerky. It sets in the fridge sometimes for several months before being eaten. The fridge will finish drying jerky.

I make a HUGE pot of beans with pork or bacon (around 3 gallons):
Day one.... We eat bean soup.
Day two.... We eat some for lunch (Been setting out overnight.
Day three.. Goes in the fridge after day two.
Days four through seven. Sets in fridge usually uncovered.
Day eight.. Onions, and dinty moore canned beef stew added, eaten for dinner that night.
Day nine... After setting out all night once again, placed back in fridge.
Day ten.... Rice added (both white and wild) water/boullion added. Eaten for lunch.
Day 11..... Sets out overnight again, starts to smell slightly fermented. Eaten for lunch. By this time, there's perhaps less than a quart left. It gets put in the fridge in a tupperware container and used as a starter for the next pot of beans perhaps two months down the road.

We have NEVER been sick from this.... any of it. However, using a couple cups of slightly fermented beans to start the next pot DRAMATICALLY cuts the "fartage" of beans because the complex amino acids are broken down before you eat them better than beano. Also, better to let beans set out overnight after cooking and before eating. This helps too.
I do split pea soup this way also.
Adding a teaspoon of white vinegar or a tablespoon or two of worcestershire sause works as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
ERROR_SUCCESS

@9113115

i can relate....LOL. i was with a friend from europe and several americans eating lunch when a giant roach walked across the table. my friend just calmly took an empty water glass and placed it over the roach trapping it alive and we just kept eating lunch with the roach watching us eat from inside the glass. i thought my american friends were going to vomit! i have to admit i was even a bit taken back when i ordered because the cook looked like he had run his finger thru the meat slicer and had bloody bandages wrapped around his hand.......but the lamb was excellent!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Target Shooter

If the food is fermenting because it has juices in it then it's only helping to preserve itself by upping the alcohol content. I would eat it as long as the taste isn't offensive.

If it's a bread and it has some mold, I'll tear the mold off and eat it no question.

If it's a piece of meat and it has mold, I wouldn't eat it unless it was cooked to a piece of charcoal.

If it's a leftover container of beans in the fridge and it's covered in a half inch layer of white mold, I think I might pass too...

There's some mold that's normal to get on food, there's some that means it's past it's date.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 AM

I leave out cooked meat out routinely. It's only covered so flies can't get to it and get down to business. After about day six I have a nice slim jim that was formerly a hot dog. Never had the runs.

In fact, in Afghanistan I never got runs or parasites from the local food. Then I ate at the official dining facility on a FOB. I had the drips for 2 days afterward. This is after I don't know how many pieces of goat in a pot, picked through by many fingers, washed down by tea made from wadi water, sweetened by sugar cane that was sometimes nibbled on by goats as it dried. Go figure.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,557 Times in 3,512 Posts

All this is good when your young , your immune system is strong and built up very healthy ,to be commended for your culture.
I find that as I get older ,and this may not happen to every one ,but life can get a bit more sensitive as one ages .
Vinigar ,white or cider ,is the most common preservitive in the world ,going back before the time of Christ .
I am told old timers carried vinigar with them in their travels ,just to be safe ,eating questionable foods . It's a little late AFTER you get bochelism ,to take it, but a good start if you've evacuated your stomich first .
I would certainly encourage young people to develop their tollerances to deal with questionable food ,in the event it becomes scarce , all that hits the garbage bin in the back of the stores is rotten . Often it is just not pretty.
The danger is ,those that see you eating things that they don't have the immunity to stand up to, can hurt them ,especially during the hardest of times ,and having medicines or remidies to turn to are running thin.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
All this is good when your young , your immune system is strong and built up very healthy ,to be commended for your culture.
I find that as I get older ,and this may not happen to every one ,but life can get a bit more sensitive as one ages .
Vinigar ,white or cider ,is the most common preservitive in the world ,going back before the time of Christ .
I am told old timers carried vinigar with them in their travels ,just to be safe ,eating questionable foods . It's a little late AFTER you get bochelism ,to take it, but a good start if you've evacuated your stomich first .
I would certainly encourage young people to develop their tollerances to deal with questionable food ,in the event it becomes scarce , all that hits the garbage bin in the back of the stores is rotten . Often it is just not pretty.
The danger is ,those that see you eating things that they don't have the immunity to stand up to, can hurt them ,especially during the hardest of times ,and having medicines or remidies to turn to are running thin.
You can build a strong stomach to help with rough eating, but if the food is actually diseased then noone should be eating it. There's a difference between eating food that would turn the stomach and food that is actually infested. Don't eat mold on foods like meat, rice etc... It needs to be thoroughly cooked before eating and then either refrigerated or cooked to where there's no moisture left(essentially jerked). In the case of rice, even cooking may not help with the problems that mold can cause.

If TSHTF, I won't be the one risking both my and my families lives with eating food that is spoiled that breaks my basic rules of safety. Perishable food should be the first eaten or preserved. I would even be suspicious with leaving pizza out for more than a day, such things are a recipe for disaster, it doesn't matter how 'strong' a stomach is.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,202 Times in 607 Posts

I'm probably one of the few of any on this forum that has actually ate raw meat.
The meat was beef, and clean. Otherwise I wouldn't eat it. Pork, and fish scare me with the worms. I'm kinda iffy on chicken even.

When I was a health nut I learned about how cooking meat destroys the enzymes needed to properly digest it. There were a few weight lifters that swore by it. So I too started eating it raw. First starting off small, then eating bigger portions.
I did this for a few months, and the taste of meat started to become addictive. It's a very weird thing to experience.
Anyhow, I felt great when I did it, and after being begged by my mom to stop, I did. And that was years ago, and I never got sick, not got any worms or anything negative from it.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife View Post
I'm probably one of the few of any on this forum that has actually ate raw meat.
The meat was beef, and clean. Otherwise I wouldn't eat it. Pork, and fish scare me with the worms. I'm kinda iffy on chicken even.

When I was a health nut I learned about how cooking meat destroys the enzymes needed to properly digest it. There were a few weight lifters that swore by it. So I too started eating it raw. First starting off small, then eating bigger portions.
I did this for a few months, and the taste of meat started to become addictive. It's a very weird thing to experience.
Anyhow, I felt great when I did it, and after being begged by my mom to stop, I did. And that was years ago, and I never got sick, not got any worms or anything negative from it.
I guess I can come out now.... I too, am a raw meat eater as are my daughters. My wife will "taste" it but not eat it per-se. Whenever I take out a large amount of beef to cook or BBQ, I fix a bowl and put garlic salt, onion powder and pepper. Give a slice of meat a light coating and let it set for half an hour then enjoy. My oldest daughter can and will literally eat a raw steak as long as it's warm, so could I. My youngest daughter will eat it "blue" (Very rare, but has been cooked a little. My wife prefers them medium rare.

When I make meatloaf, the raw mix is in danger of being picked at until non existant by my older daughter. My younger one will eat it too, but usually just a bite or two.
Other stuff we eat raw besides beef:
Fish (warm or cold)
Sausage (room temperature)
bacon (warmed in the sun)
lamb (warm)

I agree, raw meat is addicting.
What we DON't eat raw:
Other than bacon/sausage, Pork. Non of us like the smell of it raw.
Poultry (Same reason).

Great recipe and simple for you raw meat eaters out there:
Good CLEAN hamburger 97+% lean and at room temperature.
finely chopped raw onion, salt, pepper, finely chopped cilantro.
Mix together, spread on club crackers and eat!

YUM!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,327 Times in 28,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1985 View Post
If the food is fermenting because it has juices in it then it's only helping to preserve itself by upping the alcohol content. I would eat it as long as the taste isn't offensive.
Fermented foods are preserved because fermentation raises the acidity of the food. It takes a high level of alcohol to preserve food, and that can't be achieved by simple fermentation.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,327 Times in 28,565 Posts

I don't know where to draw the line between safe and unsafe. But after having food poisoning a few times, I tend to err on the side of caution.

But many of today's recipes got their start as a way to hide the taste of spoiled meat. For example, German saurbratten.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I don't know where to draw the line between safe and unsafe. But after having food poisoning a few times, I tend to err on the side of caution.
This is me too. I'm the guy with all the chronic stomach troubles. I've had food poisoning a couple times and I'm not fond of it. My motto is "When in doubt, throw it out". I'd rather throw away $5 worth of questionable food rather than gamble that $5 on whether or not it will make someone sick.

Left overs get put it the fridge immediately in a covered dish. If it is still there 5 days later it goes in the trash.

I do eat sushi though. Go figure....
The Following User Says Thank You to sprkymrk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Anyone ever use to hangout with Gutterpunks as a teenager?

I eat raw minced lamb/beef a couple times a month. It is my favorite food by far. Been doing so since I was five years of age. No one in my family has ever got sick from it (Kibbeh). It really comes down to how you handle the meat. I'm still alive LOL!

The only time I had food poisoning was after eating at some Asian restaurant.
Anykind of restaurant creeps me out really.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM

I agree it probably helps your digestive system be able to handle things better when you eat a variety of foods and some with bacterial growth, and not always the good kind. However, in a SHTF situation a bad case of food poisoning could be a real problem. I think there is a line between not throwing out perfectly good food vs throwing caution to the wind and eating anything that isn't crawling with maggots. Just keep in mind that many times when people get food poisoning the meal they ate looked, smelled and tasted fine so you can't always go by your eyes or nose to determine if food is safe to eat.
I am super cautious about food and will only eat leftovers 2 days, then it gets pitched. If it was the only food I had I might take my chances a few more days but if given the option as I am now, it's getting trashed. Taking a class in microbiology really changed my point of view concerning leftovers.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyRatLady For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM

I think knowedge is your friend on this. I have eaten all sorts of raw meat, and rare pork (from good sources). I have seen people eat maggots. I guess the maggots themselves are clean. I have also seen fast food that was dessicated, and probably would be safe to eat because of the high amounts of sugar, salt, and preservatives. Often, the healthiest foods decay the worst. Spinach is lousy after 48 hours! Sure, you can cook it and eat it, but it's vitamins are depleted. The same is true for many fruits. Whole grain flours are potentially lethal if moldy, altough some can be tolerated, it is often hard to tell just how much contamination there is. Of course, some foods decay so badly that the toxins produced by their decomposition actually make them safe to eat! One example is the ammoniated goats heads that they eat in Iceland. Shark cheese is another example. Ammonia is toxic, however, the residual ammonia being ingested is not nearly as toxic as the free ammonia vapors that kill bacteria, and can be absorbed through skin and lungs, so it is actually relatively safe to eat, just don't wallow in it. I know from personal experience that the hungrier I am, the more likely I will eat something rotten, because I sense it smells better, until I've had a chance to eat something. Other dangers are less likely to be noticed until too late. There are worm cysts in Egyptian water that will infect non-Egyptians, but go un-noticed to the population. Many diseases and parasites are insidious, and a healthy immune system may not be enough, since the immune system must be conditioned or selectively adapted for certain parasites.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,409 Times in 1,276 Posts

I won't hesitate to eat food that has been left out all night & do it all the time. I eat meat that has been left in the frig for days & turned grey, as long as it don't stink it's fair game.

I've also eaten quite a bit of fresh red meat completely raw Beef & venison both. I very rarely ever get sick, probably cuz I'm such a germy bazterd the viruses all die once they've been exposed to what's inside me already.

However, you have to use common sense cuz you don't want to end up on an episode of "monsters inside me". If it smells less than savory, you can probably cook it to a crisp & eat it fine but, if it smells foul give it to the dogs.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,511 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by old. 90's? I've never been particular about how long I leave food out and I've never gotten sick with my food. Growing up, women would cook a meal and leave the leftover out all day in case someone was hungry and wanted to eat more. I don't remember anyone getting sick in my house or that of my grandfather. But you can get sick if you are too clean and your body doesn't develop immunity to common "diseases" for your area.