Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Ask me about Agenda 18

Thanked 30,137 Times in 7,960 Posts
Default Buying a handgun in New Hampshire

Advertise Here

I live in CT and would like to start purchasing pistols before the 3 or 4 months that it will take to take the get a pistol permit or eligibility certificate. Call me impatient.

In CT, you can own, buy from a private party, inherit, receive as a gift, and purchase out of state, any legal pistol with no certification or permit. You just can't buy one from an FFL without the certification or permit.

From what I understand, I can go to New Hampshire any time I want, pass an instant background check, give them cash, and walk out the door with my pistol right then and there. Is this true, even for out-of-state resident who purchases in NH?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 4,777 Times in 2,217 Posts

If not, then the Kittery Trading Post right over the Maine border might be the place to go.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Lonesome Road

Thanked 1,627 Times in 555 Posts

Wow, I guess CT has changed since I last lived there. I would call an FFL dealer in NH and ask. It sounds like all you have to do is fill out all appropriate forms and wait for the instant background check. The only issue then would be driving back through Mass. What are the rules in Rhode Island?

While your at it might as well put in for your concealed carry in CT and NH.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Ask me about Agenda 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunrush View Post
Wow, I guess CT has changed since I last lived there. I would call an FFL dealer in NH and ask. It sounds like all you have to do is fill out all appropriate forms and wait for the instant background check. The only issue then would be driving back through Mass. What are the rules in Rhode Island?

While your at it might as well put in for your concealed carry in CT and NH.
Oh, I certainly am. I'm just a freedom junkie. I get a thrill doing things in ways that most people around the world aren't allowed to do, or can't afford to do, or would have to get a license to do. It's like a drug. If I can raise my middle finger to the power grid, I'll do it, which is why I'm slowly building a solar PV and wind system. If I can tell the IRS to kiss my hairy backside because I don't feel like working so dang much just to support Uncle Sam's shopping spree, I will. If I can go buy a pistol and rub it in our blue-green governor's face that taxes and regulations incentivized me to buy elsewhere, then that's a priority for me.

My addiction to freedom is more powerful than if crack and heroin had a love child in the middle of a drug rehab clinic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Ask me about Agenda 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
If not, then the Kittery Trading Post right over the Maine border might be the place to go.
Hey, I've been there before. But it was many years ago, and I was too young to buy guns then.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids

Thanked 1,087 Times in 609 Posts

I have not lived back in New England for some 20 years, so correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't it be a felony to possess an un permited hand gun in MA. while traveling from NH or ME to CT? Or did they ditch that idiotic piece of nonsense?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Ask me about Agenda 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorust View Post
I have not lived back in New England for some 20 years, so correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't it be a felony to possess an un permited hand gun in MA. while traveling from NH or ME to CT? Or did they ditch that idiotic piece of nonsense?
Firearm Owner's Protection Act?

Also, I could not possibly care any less about what MA thinks. It's not like I'm going to rob a liquor store and go on a shooting spree while passing through; I'm just comporting myself along the most direct route from the point of sale to my residence.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post

Also, I could not possibly care any less about what MA thinks. It's not like I'm going to rob a liquor store and go on a shooting spree while passing through; I'm just comporting myself along the most direct route from the point of sale to my residence.
Here is some food for thought. In some areas of the country, having a unregistered firearm puts you in the same class as robbers and murders.

If you don't like the rules, don't break them, work to change them or move to somewhere like AZ where the gun laws are less restrictive. Of course, remember to learn to el speako the espana before moving.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorust View Post
I am a MA resident. I would not travel through this state with a unregistered firearm, and NO PERMIT. its asking for trouble. Be patient, or ship it if that's possible.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,209 Posts

On interstate travel of firearms...

The Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986...

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

Quote:
FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.
You can buy a firearm in NH if you live in CT....but I wouldn't speed or break any local traffic laws traveling through MA.

If you're going to follow through with this, make a copy of the FOPA (as it reads in the law) and keep it with you....it might help if they find you are transporting the weapon within the confines if the law....personally I wouldn't stop for a pee break....

concerning this...

Quote:
I live in CT and would like to start purchasing pistols before the 3 or 4 months that it will take to take the get a pistol permit or eligibility certificate. Call me impatient.
I have no idea if an FFL in NH will ask for any licensing from CT in order to sell a pistol to you...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
From what I understand, I can go to New Hampshire any time I want, pass an instant background check, give them cash, and walk out the door with my pistol right then and there. Is this true, even for out-of-state resident who purchases in NH?
The current ATF position is that:

(a) You CANNOT purchase a handgun from a Licenced Dealer outside of you state of residence.

(b) You CANNOT purchase ANY private party firearms outside of your state of residence.

This leaves you with precisely one option - wait for your licence to be approved...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojurn87 View Post
On interstate travel of firearms...

The Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986...

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

You can buy a firearm in NH if you live in CT....but I wouldn't speed or break any local traffic laws traveling through MA.

If you're going to follow through with this, make a copy of the FOPA (as it reads in the law) and keep it with you....it might help if they find you are transporting the weapon within the confines if the law....personally I wouldn't stop for a pee break....

concerning this...

I have no idea if an FFL in NH will ask for any licensing from CT in order to sell a pistol to you...
Several problems here....

First, FOPA makes NO provision for ANY stops WHATSOEVER, and if you stop the vehicle, you place yourself under the laws of the state you are in.

Second, NO person may purchase a handgun outside of their state (or in VERY limited situations, outside of the states of residence) of residence, regardless of whether or not you purchase the weapon from a Licenced Dealer or not.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Whereas I live in NH, heres my take on this. I purchased a 1911 and an 870 from Kittery Trading Post in MAINE. NH and ME have this odd agreement with eachother, and I have found out recently, the same agreement holds true for MA. Sorry for using state codes but I'm too lazy to spell it out, but I digress. You can purchase a handgun in another state, at least here anyway, so long as you take possesion of it in your state. This can be by way of a FFL or personally from a courier from the place of purchase. Long guns don't require this procedure. I'm sure many of you know that. Now I know I'm going to catch hell from someone or several someones, but this has been my experience on the matter in question.
The Following User Says Thank You to M.K.47-1911A1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Prepared

Quote:

It's not that they think you will commit a crime it's the fact that you will posess a firearm .
Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrightenedWolfe View Post
Several problems here....

First, FOPA makes NO provision for ANY stops WHATSOEVER, and if you stop the vehicle, you place yourself under the laws of the state you are in.

Second, NO person may purchase a handgun outside of their state (or in VERY limited situations, outside of the states of residence) of residence, regardless of whether or not you purchase the weapon from a Licenced Dealer or not.
I want to clarify my statement, there is a distinction between longarms and pistols (my mistake)...you can only buy a pistol from an FFL within the individuals state of residence. An individual can purchase a longarm from an out of state FFL and transport it himself back to their home state provided the longarm conforms to their home state laws.

He can stop for gas and food...and still be considered "in transit"...

Again, per the link I provided, I'd be cautious about transporting through non friendly states who view the law as a defense plea...not something that keeps you from being arrested in the first place.

As one poster suggested, I'd call a FFL ....Riley's Gunshop of NH would be more than happy to answer any questions he has...If they can sell one to him legally...they will.....if it's not legal to do...they'll tell it to him flat out....

Yes I live in NH and yes I've bought firearms in Maine from an FFL (Kittery) and transported them over the border.
The Following User Says Thank You to sojurn87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojurn87 View Post
Yes I live in NH and yes I've bought firearms in Maine from an FFL (Kittery) and transported them over the border.
I know that the Kittery Trading post will sell a handgun to a NH resident, but technically, the transfer was completed in NH, as they have a location in NH for this very purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to FrightenedWolfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.K.47-1911A1 View Post
Whereas I live in NH, heres my take on this. I purchased a 1911 and an 870 from Kittery Trading Post in MAINE. NH and ME have this odd agreement with eachother, and I have found out recently, the same agreement holds true for MA. \
A State CANNOT make an agreement that violates Federal Law...

What the Kittery Trading post does, is to own a location in NH that has a valid Federal Firearms Licence, so that if a NH resident wants to purchase a handgun, the Kittery Trading Post employee can transfer the weapon to their sister store in NH, and then the buyer can go pick up the weapon in NH, after passing the NH State Police Background Check that all handgun purchasers must pass prior to taking possession of a handgun in NH.

Massachusetts has NO such agreement with NH (or any other state for that matter) as the transfer of a handgun to an out-of-state resident is strictly prohibited.

It is legal for a Licenced Dealer to transfer a rifle or shotgun (with one minor exception that most people won't run into) to an out-of-state resident as long as the weapon is legal in the state of the purchaser (for example, a Connecticut resident could not legally purchase an Arsenal SGL21 AKM in 7,62x39 in NH, as Connecticut law prohibits the ownership of AK-type rifles chambered for the 7,62x39 cartridge.)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Prepper

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I came across this when doing some research. Due to the recent bans of magazines and rifles in Connecticut, a friend of mine has been asking me for advice. I told him he's able to move the rifles out of state to his New Hampshire lake house (which he visits at least once a month). He has no magazines larger than 10 rounds (per CT state law); however he would like to pick some 25 rounders up in NH and **LEAVE** them in NH along with his rifles at his lake house just to have some extra plinking when he takes them to the range. His question to me, and now my question to you is: would he be required to have some sort of permit to purchase the magazines in NH? Here in Connecticut we have to have a pistol permit in order to purchase a magazine. I was wondering if it's the same in NH, or if he would have the same freedom to buy a magazine in NH the same as he would be able to buy a bottle of orange juice at the supermarket (obviously so long as he does not bring them back into Connecticut). Thanks folks.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"

Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,029 Posts

MOVE! I paid for and walked out of LGS with an AK the same day.

VA is a good state, look at your options and take your money to a free state!

eb
The Following User Says Thank You to ElevenBravo29th For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
One of the Good Guys

You can not buy a handgun in NH!
Any one saying you can is wrong! You could buy a long gun if the gun is legal in Conn. , if the long gun is prohibited you can not even buy that.
(sorry just released this is an old thread) Yes just go in to the LGS and buy mags if you can find them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greatnorthern For This Useful Post: