Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
"Normal" is an illusion

Lightbulb Sturdy, cheap HOMEMADE bike trailer!

Advertise Here

This is a great idea if you are planning on using a bicycle to bug out:

The ones with the larger wheels though seem more stable:

Making your own seems more doable after watching youtube!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to love2garden22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 03:24 PM

I really like the idea behind the second one. I'm more comfortable with wood as you can make exactly what you need. One thing I don't understand is how you sterr it if its hooked to both sides of the tire?
The Following User Says Thank You to PaloVivo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
"Normal" is an illusion

Thumbs up Glad you found this post!

Hey Palo,
I'm glad you followed my link here!
I'm not 'buying' the hooked to the rear axle of the bike as a 'hitch' either.
I like how this guy attaches his 'shopping cart' bike trailer to his bike much better (however I'm sure I'd have a hard time explaining where I 'got' a shopping cart from):

Ha, btw, I thought I was going to have to 'come to your rescue' and defend you, but I can see that you're doing just fine all by yourself!
The Following User Says Thank You to love2garden22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM

That looks great ;D A shopping cart sure looks a lot more rugged ad strong to carry a decent load f gear and materials to live off of it; gardening tools for example. I see a lot of homeless people with shopping carts but I don't exactly know how to get my hands into one 'legally' ;P

Jajaja...Thanks lot for taking your time to actually help me out and not bash me for my ideals and way of living because at the end of the day we all are different. It is difficult to express myself true to what I want to say in a language that I never speak (not that I can't, simply there is nobody to practice with ;P ). I still try to do so in a respectful manner and sometimes I succeed.

By the way, the name is Juanky, from the so-common spanish name Juan Carlos Cheers!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,354 Times in 2,003 Posts

Or you could just use a baby trailer/carrier.
The Following User Says Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
"Normal" is an illusion

Default Maybe adapting a game cart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
Or you could just use a baby trailer/carrier.
Thanks, paramilusmc, I did look into the baby trailer and at the most, one like this one, can only carry 100 lbs.

I kind of like this bike cargo trailer, but it can only carry 180 lbs, although there is one made of aluminum on eBay that can carry 300 lbs, it costs almost $ 300 with shipping and that's a little too steep for me.

However, this game cart looks adaptable and it's under $ 100, might work:

This one can handle 500 lbs and comes with a harness and is only around $ 100 as well. This might be the way I go b/c you can either pull it with a bike if you fashion a hitch, or simply use the included harness and pull it yourself.

I'm not looking to pull 500 lbs, but since I don't believe the hype, I'm hoping that something that is rated for 500, will at least pull 250, which is what I'm looking to do.

Juanky, Here is a youtube search on 'homemade bike trailer':

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...22%2C24&page=1

there are lots of videos to choose from, many great ideas. I did come across one lady who made a bike trailer for her landscaping business and it had a center locking cabinet made from wood for her tools, I couldn't seem to find it again or I would have posted it for you. Many of these homemade trailers are made from recycled bike tires and other recycled materials.
There are even a few people who have made a bicycle trailer camper of sorts - they all look great, not exactly for me, but you might be able to get some ideas and modify something that works for you.
I think you're doing great, and have a good mind. You will go far, just hang in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to love2garden22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden22 View Post
Thanks, paramilusmc, I did look into the baby trailer and at the most, one like this one, can only carry 100 lbs.

Amazon.com: InStep Quick N EZ Double Bicycle Trailer: Sports & Outdoors

I kind of like this bike cargo trailer, but it can only carry 180 lbs, although there is one made of aluminum on eBay that can carry 300 lbs, it costs almost $ 300 with shipping and that's a little too steep for me.

Amazon.com: Aosom Bicycle Bike Cargo Trailer-yellow and Black: Sports & Outdoors

However, this game cart looks adaptable and it's under $ 100, might work:

Amazon.com: TimberRidge hunting backpackable big game deer cart NEW: Sports & Outdoors

This one can handle 500 lbs and comes with a harness and is only around $ 100 as well. This might be the way I go b/c you can either pull it with a bike if you fashion a hitch, or simply use the included harness and pull it yourself.

Amazon.com: Big Game GC3000 500lb Multi Purpose Cart: Sports & Outdoors

I'm not looking to pull 500 lbs, but since I don't believe the hype, I'm hoping that something that is rated for 500, will at least pull 250, which is what I'm looking to do.

Juanky, Here is a youtube search on 'homemade bike trailer':

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...22%2C24&page=1

there are lots of videos to choose from, many great ideas. I did come across one lady who made a bike trailer for her landscaping business and it had a center locking cabinet made from wood for her tools, I couldn't seem to find it again or I would have posted it for you. Many of these homemade trailers are made from recycled bike tires and other recycled materials.
There are even a few people who have made a bicycle trailer camper of sorts - they all look great, not exactly for me, but you might be able to get some ideas and modify something that works for you.
I think you're doing great, and have a good mind. You will go far, just hang in there.
Thanks a lot! i don't need to carry half a ton, but some of the baby trailers look flimsy to me. Last Big Game looks good enough but since it will haul some expensive equipment, I wouldn't want it to fall off the sides. I will do it out of wood since I have a lot in the backyard and can get more for free, why pay if you can recycle. This
one
looks very sturdy and steers very well. I can use the same "golf car" steering column and make a sort of 'box' as the trailer. One that would accommodate my ALICE pack, trimmer, shovels, rakes, soil, etc. Something around 2' high x 2' wide x 2.5' long would do great. I plan on making one to serve August - January while I get a car. My uncle offered me his Astro Van for $500 and I would have to pay for new "bottles" and the "marbete" which would be another $500. I think is a great deal since I could live in it with everything I need.

Thanks a ton for your kindness!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 6,704 Times in 2,327 Posts

I rebuilt this bike trailer:

All I had when I started was the chasis frame. No wheels, No tongue, No hitch mechanism.

I used steel electrical conduit to fashion a replacement tongue. Bent the conduit in small increments by putting it between two fence posts and pulling. I designed a flexible joint to connect the tongue to a mount on the bike frame.

I made the flexible section from reinforced rubber hose (The kind with mesh in it). In front of the hose is an aluminium tube with a hole drilled in it and that hole fits onto a 5/16" steel bolt that's bolted to the bike frame through an existing hole in the frame. I used a long threaded nut as a spacer to get the trailer tongue away from the frame. The pictures show all of that. It all works really nice. The trailer rides quiet and smooth and when empty it's almost like there's nothing back there.

In my experience designing the flexible/articulated joint is probably the most difficult aspect of building a bike trailer. One of the designs in the videos above are really good. The threaded bolt to the seat post ring one is one of the best I've seen.

Mine works well and it's strong enough for anything I'll do with my trailer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM
"Normal" is an illusion

Thumbs up What a great trailer!

CrypticCricket
Thanks so much for posting such beautiful detailed pictures of your hitch and trailer. That's exactly what I'm looking for, something that I can do, is sturdy and I can understand.
Do you go over any rougher terrain, or do you stay on city streets?
How much of a load can you carry?
Did you use regular bike tires? Do you think that solid rubber tires would work, or would they bounce around too much?
Thanks for sharing!

These heavier duty game cargo bike trailers look great but are expensive (see attached picture)
Attached Thumbnails
cccccccc-532x294.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to love2garden22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM
-.-. --.-

Thanked 10,488 Times in 1,144 Posts

@Cricket,

What if you need to turn right really hard? Looks like there would be some rubbage.

@love2garden:

A simple wheel swap and hitch mount relocation would give him more ground clearance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no_fair_fights For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden22 View Post
CrypticCricket
Thanks so much for posting such beautiful detailed pictures of your hitch and trailer. That's exactly what I'm looking for, something that I can do, is sturdy and I can understand.
Do you go over any rougher terrain, or do you stay on city streets?
How much of a load can you carry?
Did you use regular bike tires? Do you think that solid rubber tires would work, or would they bounce around too much?
Thanks for sharing!

These heavier duty game cargo bike trailers look great but are expensive (see attached picture)
I've puled it throught the swails in my neighborhood which are like a a very bumpy dirt trail. No problems. I mostly stay on the road with it. I sat in it once with Mrs Cricket pulling me. I'm about 200 lbs. It took it just fine. I don't know what to think about solid rubber tires. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fair_fights View Post
@Cricket,

What if you need to turn right really hard? Looks like there would be some rubbage.

@love2garden:

A simple wheel swap and hitch mount relocation would give him more ground clearance.

I've done a lot of tight right turns deliberately trying to rub the tire and in order to do a turn that tight you're having to go so slow that you're almost unstable. It would be rare to need to turn that tight while riding an adult size bike. The few times I've rubbed, it doesn't do much other than cause a vibration when the knobs on the tire make contact with the tongue and then you're made aware that you're turning too tight.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks a ton Cricket! Great pics and info. How much was the total cost if you happen to remember?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloVivo View Post
Thanks a ton Cricket! Great pics and info. How much was the total cost if you happen to remember?
I bought the trailer chasis for $5 at a thrift shop. I later bought a 20" childs bicycle for it's wheels and tires ($10 thrift shop). I don't remember how much the conduit costs but It's probably not more than $4. I spent maybe $5 on other parts. Probably about $25 total.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 AM

i love it. i have been meaning to build a bike trailer and i like how you did this one.