Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Prepared

Default Best Crossbow for a smaller women

Advertise Here

I'd like to learn to use a crossbow this summer and know nothing about them.
We do have a training center a few miles from here that also sells them, but when I went in there, they were so snobby, dismissing and arrogant. I take it that some of the men there have a problem with a women interested in a man thing. Anyway...I'm only about 5'4 and am working on getting back down to a size 3, but am pretty strong for a girl.

What would be....Best brand? lbs? length? accuracy? also..I'd like one that's quick to reload (if thats the right term)...

Thanks! All input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 2,181 Times in 794 Posts

I bought a pistol crossbow at a garage sale for $20 a few years ago, and then ordered a bunch of bolts off the internet. It is pretty easy to operate, and quick to reload. It's actually a cheapy from taiwan, but for what I want it for, it does just fine.

I'm sure you could order one online. What exactly are you wanting to do with it? Hunting large animals would require a full size crossbow, but for small game, and quiet self protection, a pistol crossbow would do just fine.

Make sure to buy extra bolts and strings for it as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to wilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,092 Posts

I get that attitude whenever I go into one that's near me also. I have to be downright rude to get any help. Once I cop an attitude, they seem to adjust theirs a bit. Testosterone filled morons? I dunno what it is. It may not be your gender.

Also, I'm not sure on your state laws, but here, you can't hunt with a crossbow unless you have a doctors note that says you have some disability that won't allow you to pull a different type of bow back, like a compound. If you ever plan on trying to put meat on the table with it, you should probably look into that.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to 64duracraft For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,553 Times in 15,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules64 View Post
I'd like to learn to use a crossbow....
We do have a training center a few miles from here that also sells them, but when I went in there, they were so snobby, dismissing and arrogant. I take it that some of the men there have a problem with a women interested in a man thing. !
NO- it's because women shot better then men once they learn how.

I had a PSE in the 80's it was a good XBow. 90# I think, my wife could shoot it really well and liked it a lot, but I always prefered a bow( they make some really cool compact bows for women now) The only thing I didn't really like about it was the bulk and weight, a bow is just so much easier to move around with. and the rate of fire is faster, But that might not matter at all if your just getting meat with it or upper strength is a issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 AM

Look for a crossbow that you can attach a crank handle to cock the string. Most crossbows I have seen have a draw weight 150 lbs or above. Hopefully you can find a place that will allow you to hold and shoot prior to purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottM For This Useful Post: