Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Homesteader

Default Stove Top Non Electric Water Distillers

Advertise Here

Anybody on here know where to buy a stove top non electric water distiller? The type that can be used on any type of heat source, camp stove, camp fire etc. It seems the Waterwise 1600 units are no longer available. I would appreciate any help. Prefer US suppliers. Thanks...
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,463 Times in 1,743 Posts

here's a link to where you can buy waterwise 1600

http://www.eves-best.com/waterwise-1600.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to wyldflwr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Excelsior

The link states that the WaterWise 1600 is no longer available.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Homesteader

I would like to buy a waterwise 1600 but they are no longer offered for sale. That is why I am seeking some advice. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 11,037 Times in 5,272 Posts

It wouldn't take much to make one. Get a pot, drill a decent hole in the lid, put a copper coil to it, seal with flour/water dough.

Or you could hit up eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Gallon-Copper-...item415b2a70b5

Just over a hundred bucks, easy!
The Following User Says Thank You to SamboRoberts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radclyffe View Post
The link states that the WaterWise 1600 is no longer available.

I can't find either. Water is a serious concern for me because we don't get rain for 6 to 9 months. I do live near the ocean within 5 miles so I was hoping to find something to distill ocean water. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,978 Times in 908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgirl View Post
I can't find either. Water is a serious concern for me because we don't get rain for 6 to 9 months. I do live near the ocean within 5 miles so I was hoping to find something to distill ocean water. Anyone have any ideas?
If you cant find one make one. There is plenty of info on making them using things like Pressure cookers, old coffee cans, etc.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
If you cant find one make one. There is plenty of info on making them using things like Pressure cookers, old coffee cans, etc.
Yes I am working on that. I found a design I like already and am going to see if my hubby can make it. I feel a serious one is needed capable of making a couple of gallons of water a day, because of the lack of water in my area.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 660 Posts

I don't know why the waterwise is no longer available but it has been for some time. I only know of one non-electric water distiller. It comes in a kit that you use with a pressure cooker and a 5-gallon bucket.

I sell them at my store: Highwater Filters
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 660 Posts

oh, the distiller kits are called the Life Saver non-electric distiller kits and are made in the USA. The copper distiller on ebay is made for moonshine. I don't think cooper is the best for water distillation. I think I read that somewhere. I could be wrong.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Trapper

http://www.waterwise.com/productcart/pc/1600.asp

Hi, Just letting you all know that the 1600 is for sale on the waterwise web site.
The Following User Says Thank You to pearlselby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Neo Confederate

Thanked 1,925 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulcher View Post
Anybody on here know where to buy a stove top non electric water distiller? The type that can be used on any type of heat source, camp stove, camp fire etc. It seems the Waterwise 1600 units are no longer available. I would appreciate any help. Prefer US suppliers. Thanks...
Here Dear, I can't imagine a place that gets no rain not being sunny so.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_still

http://greenpowerscience.com/SWAMPWATER.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ1qk3HuRiA

Solar stills are used in cases where rain, piped, or well water is impractical, such as in remote homes or during power outages[1] . In Florida and other hurricane target areas that frequently lose power for a few days, solar distillation can provide an alternate source of clean water.

Solar stills are occasionally used on a longer term basis in developing world settings. However, depending on environmental conditions, they usually produce a relatively small amount of water, and even less where the source is saline or brackish. If the source is inadequate, a compromise method is to mix the distilled water with the brackish or saline water purified with other methods - this gives a more adequate quantity and re-introduces the other source contaminants, while still lowering the salinity, and improving the taste. The Water Pyramid is a larger version, which uses an inflatable dome as the condensing surface and can be used in tropical, rural areas.

Knowing how to put together a solar still can prove to be a useful survival skill and could provide an important means of obtaining potable water in the event of a wilderness emergency. Nevertheless, under typical conditions makeshift solar stills rarely produce enough water for long-term survival, and the sweat expended in building one can easily exceed its daily output. Solar stills can extract water from moisture in the ground but to increase the amount of moisture available to a solar still, water (fresh or saline) can be added inside or along the edges of the still. Where no water sources are readily available, shredded vegetation, wet soil/sand, urine or covered faeces, can be used inside the pit. If only the natural soil moisture is used, the pit must eventually be moved as the productivity drops. To prevent losing moisture by taking apart the still to retrieve collected water a length of plastic tubing can be used to sip water as it accumulates.

The fresnel lens is so cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eyebone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Curmudgeon/Raconteur

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,845 Posts

Big Pressure Cooker. Stainless Natural Gas Flex Pipe. Flare Fittings to mate up same. Pot to collect Distillate. Done!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 08:08 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,978 Times in 908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandLoad View Post
Big Pressure Cooker. Stainless Natural Gas Flex Pipe. Flare Fittings to mate up same. Pot to collect Distillate. Done!
And seriously under $300.