Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Chaffing, Heat Rash?

Advertise Here

So, this thread is to get some ideas on how to combat chaffing, heat rash, and the likes.

I am not overweight but it seems anytime it is really hot out and I hike, or just at work sometimes. I start to chafe in-between my legs. I went to U.S.M.C. boot camp in 2000 and experienced this and just would stop wearing underwear (even had a moment of deleriousness and used Icy/Hot cream once for the cream factor.WOWOW ). Dropping the underwear helped. But now its back again and it really hurts my desire to hike more.

So, I am asking does anyone have an solutions.

I have tried so far:
Vitamin A&D ointment
Vaseline
Powders
Different material jeans/pants (although most are all cotton bases, IE: Denim and cargo pants)
Under Armor Underwear (whatever material that is made of)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,177 Times in 1,148 Posts

I really like Calmoseptine. You can get this online or sometimes in a educators behind the counter if you ask the pharmacist.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Prepared

Calmoseptine & Lotrimin

The latter is to rule out any bacterial origins. The former is cooling and geared for chaffing. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboDog1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Gatorbait

It sucks, as we get older, our skin gets weaker and less resilient, even calluses split and bleed. One thing I have done that works is a catch 22. If you shave the area where your legs rub, the skin has less of a buffer but you can put on large bandages or duct tape. (The only reason to shave is to prevent the pain that will come from removing the tape) This will stop the chafing but if you do it on a daily basis, your skin will eventually become too damaged to continue and you will have to let it heal. I have had to do it for up to a week. No pain while the tape is being worn but continually replacing it does real damage to the skin. The reason you don't just leave the tape on for days is b/c it will become very itchy due to lack of moisture evaporation, i.e. the sweat can't dry properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Nice, two good suggestions. I have actually read a little about calmoseptine in the past but forgot about it. Now it is written down and I will find some.

Another good one about the tape, will work for emergency situations so that is very helpful. Good thing I dont have any hair around the chaffing region anyways.

Thanks to all of yall so far.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
This is a great survival forum

While I'm out building fence line or cutting brush to make fire breaks to help prevent up hill fire storms or just trecking the outlands. I have had many a day of pain from rash, chaffing and to a point raw skin. I started to wear bike shorts under my work pants. This helped but what helped more was using Bag Balm. I apply it as needed to keep a good coating on between my legs. In extreme heat it works but it does stain the pants. Oh well, I can replace my pants, my skin and health means more to me.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedv8 View Post
So, this thread is to get some ideas on how to combat chaffing, heat rash, and the likes.

I am not overweight but it seems anytime it is really hot out and I hike, or just at work sometimes. I start to chafe in-between my legs. I went to U.S.M.C. boot camp in 2000 and experienced this and just would stop wearing underwear (even had a moment of deleriousness and used Icy/Hot cream once for the cream factor.WOWOW ). Dropping the underwear helped. But now its back again and it really hurts my desire to hike more.

So, I am asking does anyone have an solutions.

I have tried so far:
Vitamin A&D ointment
Vaseline
Powders
Different material jeans/pants (although most are all cotton bases, IE: Denim and cargo pants)
Under Armor Underwear (whatever material that is made of)
I used paper towels folded up. It sounds funny but it works. In the evening after bathing use diaper rash ointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to RECONDO101st For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 19,652 Times in 6,904 Posts

Good old fashioned $1 box cornstarch. It's what our ancestors used and works great. Also, if you have had the heat rash for a while and it's not getting much better, you may acutally have a yeast growing there. (you can get a yeast infection in other places than the obvious and guys can get it too) Monistat 7, rubbed in twice a day, for a few days should do the trick. I know it sounds strange, but trust me it works.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Good old fashioned $1 box cornstarch. It's what our ancestors used and works great. Also, if you have had the heat rash for a while and it's not getting much better, you may acutally have a yeast growing there. (you can get a yeast infection in other places than the obvious and guys can get it too) Monistat 7, rubbed in twice a day, for a few days should do the trick. I know it sounds strange, but trust me it works.
I used baby powder on days I know I will be outside in heat alot, mostly during work.

But if/when I do get the heat rash and chafing, it goes away by the night time after a shower and applying some A&D ointment. So I know its not a bacterial or viral rash. Just the friction of heat and sweat.

I will look into the cornstarch though.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,145 Times in 498 Posts

I'm in my fifties and overweight and work outside in the sun and Tennessee humidity. I have only been having this problem for the last few years. I stop wearing underwear when working outside, shower and use baby powder and sleep in the nude during the summer. This seems to help. I also use athlete's foot creme if it gets really bad.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsScout View Post
While I'm out building fence line or cutting brush to make fire breaks to help prevent up hill fire storms or just trecking the outlands. I have had many a day of pain from rash, chaffing and to a point raw skin. I started to wear bike shorts under my work pants. This helped but what helped more was using Bag Balm. I apply it as needed to keep a good coating on between my legs. In extreme heat it works but it does stain the pants. Oh well, I can replace my pants, my skin and health means more to me.
I am not sure but the Under Armor underwear is alot like biker shorts, I dont know if it is made of the same material though. But it is definitely tight and compression fit like biker shorts.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,068 Posts

edited for a reason
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 19,652 Times in 6,904 Posts

On the subject of underware, ladies try the SPANKS (as seen on Opera) knockoffs at the Dollar General for $5 each. I can't imagine the $30 originals would work any better. These things are great!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 PM

Goldbond Powder!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to akblack10 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Hiker

BTDT.

the rule with rashes. "If it's wet, dry it. If it's dry, wet it".

If your rash is wet and weepy, use dry powders. If it's a dry one, use creams.

I switched to boxer-briefs, all cotton, and it helped tremendously.

I dust my junk with generic gold bond from the dollar store, every time I bathe (or twice a month, whichever comes first).

prevention is better than cure. just like blisters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 02:19 AM
This is a great survival forum

Corn starch is a bartenders best friend. I work outside for 8-10 hour shifts in the hot humid Florida weather and let me tell you, Corn Starch is the only cure for the dirty martini that brews inside my underpants. Boudreaux Butt Paste also works awesome
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Target Shooter

I mix my corn starch, 1/2 & 1/2 with baking soda. Not only does it help the rash but cuts down on oders as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azyogi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,636 Times in 2,436 Posts

Yep good old fashioned starch works really well. Iv been pretty obese and I used it all the time.

Carry some in an old camera film case. Just dab some on your fingers and rub into the effected area and re-apply when you need to. It dries out the swet really well.

PS That is one delight of loosing weight, I no longer have that problem. Yippeeee!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,068 Posts

edited for a reason
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,843 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post: