Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Prepared

Default Body armor as a shtf prep?

Advertise Here

Any of you have body armor in your shtf preps ? Why or why not?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:19 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,914 Times in 6,770 Posts

To actually stop rifle rounds, you need what is loosely called "a body bunker." And those things weigh a ton. They are so heavy that I wouldn't want one if you gave it to me free of charge. I'll pass on most armor but I might go with a lightweight ballistic vest under my shirt or something.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Asian Newbie

I do have 2 x Level IIIA Body Armour, 1 x Level III Steel Rifle Plate and 2 x Level IV Ceramic Rifles Plates. I also have 2 x stab vest.

Body Armour formed part of my prep and it is a backup for me and my family in the worst case senario if ever caught in a gun fight/crossfire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtcepl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,896 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

AR 500 steel plate- 1/4th inch

language alert

Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 AM

As a former LEO and Security contractor, I have 2 level III-A concealable vests and a few flak jackets. I do see potential uses for them in a SHTF scenario, HOWEVER those situations are very limited/specialized in my opinion. If you've covered all of your NEEDS and have the extra cash, go for it. But I personally wouldn't do without any amount of "beans, bullets or band aids" just to own body armor.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tactical_N_Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 6,066 Times in 2,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical_N_Practical View Post
As a former LEO and Security contractor, I have 2 level III-A concealable vests and a few flak jackets. I do see potential uses for them in a SHTF scenario, HOWEVER those situations are very limited/specialized in my opinion. If you've covered all of your NEEDS and have the extra cash, go for it. But I personally wouldn't do without any amount of "beans, bullets or band aids" just to own body armor.
Body armor has a pretty specific purpose. A concealable III-A vest is probably a good idea when you must go out in a bad situation, but full battle armor is really just for doing battle.

If there's that much gunfire going on, I'm not moving from a safe location until it dies down. My philosophy is that if I get into a gunfight, I've already screwed up big time. The vest is just insurance.

Az
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 AM

I should have specified that I don't own the armor for SHTF purposes. I simply have them left over from previous employment. A lot of guys buy all this armor after reading a few issues of "SWAT" magazine and see what the cops are wearing. They fail to realize that the cops need this armor because they have to go TO the threat. In addition, they have to risk their own lives and safety to apprehend the subject(s) alive if possible. In a SHTF scenario, you'll (if you want to live long enough to eat all that SPAM that you stored up) be AVOIDING danger as much as possible. Granted, sometimes this is impossible. And, if for some reason you did have to take out a threat such as a house full of known "raiders" or whatever pet scenario you have. You'll most likely be firing a few tracers rounds into the attic and systematically neutralizing them as they run out the door from the fire, or some similar action. The goal will be to cause as much damage to the bad guys while remaining as "safe" as possible. This being said, I can't say "no don't waste your money on body armor". But, at the same time I can't tell you that you NEED it. In the short term scenario such as having to bug out due to a flash storm or even a terrorist act, I can see more uses for concealable body armor if you live in a more "urban" environment such as down town Atlanta.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,681 Times in 6,114 Posts

Don't Kevlar vests "Expire" after about 10 years? I thought the fabric degrades over time, especially if it is worn all the time and moved in.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM

I'd go with a thick tough jacket personally along with some leather gloves. Thick cow hide should help against everyday sharp objects and even if it won't help you in a knife fight i suspect that it would be better then bare skin against getting rocks/bottles and other improvised weapons. Don't forget that not everyone is going to be prepared and that most looters and rioters use the crap that's around them. Note that this is opinion is more by assumption then actual knowledge and i'd like to hear some input on that as well
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,896 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

it does NOT degrade over time. the expiration date is a rough guesstimate the factory makes as an arbitrary amount of time in which constant use introduces enough solar radiation, heat and moisture to damage the kevlar fibers past their capacity to do any good ballistically. Different story for spectrashield, twaron, and other soft ballistic cloth.

Last edited by Dwind; 06-28-2011 at 07:02 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwind For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,097 Times in 449 Posts

Brick walls are a much better option.

It does not matter much if someone is coming for you what they wear. They have to move, and very slowly wearing that stuff. Detected Movement = targets of opportunity.
We will focus more on target detection, coming across a pasture a couple hundred yards.
It works best in conjunction with overwhelming numbers.

ISS

PS: anyone who really plans to put their faith in body armor should put it on, and walk out 100M in front of their spouse and ask them to fire a round out of their 223 Radway Green at center mass.
The Following User Says Thank You to ISS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,442 Times in 973 Posts

I looked into it for hunting figured might as well be protected took into count weight size price how little protection it gives you (soft) its really pointless because to get a good enough armour rateing you need heavy and bulky and that is only good if you don't have to leave ie a bug in then it might be handy but to take it with you to much weight.. 16lbs could be allot more food and water..

works for pistols but not rifles in a shtf rifles will be more of a threat then handguns so really it depends..
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 AM

im planning on buying a bulletproof vest from my local military surplus store soon yay!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,755 Times in 971 Posts

Body armor is a great investment.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,165 Times in 457 Posts

i feel body armor is a goood investment.i'm not sure about everyone else but i don'tsee my prepping ever stopping,,there is always something else to purchase.

instead of another pistol or rifle, buy a level IIIA for yourself. I have a few setups,,,one concealable, the other a mil style vest w plates. even some older flack vests for others in my group.

I don't plan on getting shot,,but why not tip the odds in my favor by wearing armor?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

FerFAL's thoughts on BA from his experiences of SHTF in Argentina in 2001:

Quote:
Dear God! Buy body armor PLEASE!! Its dirt cheep in USA. Preferably, get the police concealable kind (class II) then continue to work on it and get class III A military armor and some rifle plates, just as you do when you start buying guns. Youíll end up with 2 or 3 sets of armor which are great to have for family members and spares. Just so you know, I got so desperate about body armor I ordered it from USA through internet (bulletproofme.com), I ended up paying a total of nearly 600 USD for body armor that costs 200 USD in USA. Buy it while you still can. When the SHTF youíll end up wearing it, believe me. I donít wear mine all day long but I do wear it when I have to go some place dangerous, deal with people I donít trust, or when I have to go teach Architecture Representation late at night, and must travel through a much dangerous road at 12 PM.
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

The link is also a great read if you haven't already.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

I have a IIIA molle vest and IIIA concealable. It was priced right and makes me feel better.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS View Post
Brick walls are a much better option.
NOT against a 7.62x39 or better..

Just FINE for stopping a .22(3) though..
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,307 Times in 15,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS View Post
ISS
PS: anyone who really plans to put their faith in body armor should put it on, and walk out 100M in front of their spouse and ask them to fire a round out of their 223 Radway Green at center mass.
Do you have any idea how many lives body armor has saved, or seatbelts for that matter. Both are uncomfortable but they serve a purpose. I only wear a seatbelt when I'm driving.

Btw- never ask your spouse to give you a center mass shot at 100 meters. She could get lucky and miss the plate entirely.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
WHATEVER IT TAKES

Got 2 large SAPI's lookin to trade for mediums.. Anyone?