Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Texas Born and Raised

Default Safety Problems on Mossberg

Advertise Here

I have seen several things on the web that complain about the safety not working on 500 type Mossberg after the stock being changed or swapped for a pistol grip.

It is a simple fix. The bolt that holds the grip or stock can be too long, causing it to interfere with the slide motion of the safety. Open it up and see if it does and if it does, cut the bolt down to where it clears the safety slide.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nasa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,502 Posts

The full stock bolt is way too long to ever cut down, though. The pistol grips use a far shorter bolt. The problem lies in folks who leave off the washers assuming they don't count for much. That sticks the stock bolt into the path of the safety connector and blocks the trigger from being pulled. The worst part, though, is the folks who insist on pulling the trigger harder to see if it'll work and they hear a tiny "click" as the safety connector snaps off in the trigger group. If you broke your safety connector, the safety won't ever work again until you get the trigger group fixed.

Good post, N!

Pleasure to meet you, sir!

rich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Another tip on 500's is to make sure you have the safety in the off (fire) position when you replace the trigger assembly.

For anyone who's interested, I'm a moderator on www.mossbergowners.com. Stop in and say hello.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mudinyeri For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
Another tip on 500's is to make sure you have the safety in the off (fire) position when you replace the trigger assembly.

For anyone who's interested, I'm a moderator on www.mossbergowners.com. Stop in and say hello.
Not to hijack the thread but what in your opinion is the best peep sight for the Mossberg 500? My Remington 870 Tac Express has an awesome peep sight straight from the factory, is there a quality one for the Mossberg 500?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot121 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but what in your opinion is the best peep sight for the Mossberg 500? My Remington 870 Tac Express has an awesome peep sight straight from the factory, is there a quality one for the Mossberg 500?
My 500 has the original bead sight on it. With that said, I really like the ghost ring sights that come standard on the 930 SPX.

There might be some guys on the Mossberg Owners site that would have some differing opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudinyeri For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
The full stock bolt is way too long to ever cut down, though. The pistol grips use a far shorter bolt. The problem lies in folks who leave off the washers assuming they don't count for much. That sticks the stock bolt into the path of the safety connector and blocks the trigger from being pulled. The worst part, though, is the folks who insist on pulling the trigger harder to see if it'll work and they hear a tiny "click" as the safety connector snaps off in the trigger group. If you broke your safety connector, the safety won't ever work again until you get the trigger group fixed.

Good post, N!

Pleasure to meet you, sir!

rich
Thanks for this! The Washer! i was converting my 500 and thinking i needed to shorten the bolt. I didnt even realize the washer was missing!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 9,254 Times in 3,067 Posts

Personally, I don't even use the safety on my 500... I don't keep a round loaded and will just cycle it when I have an uninvited guest. These are tactical shotguns, so I would only use my safety when out hunting with the Remington I have.

Happy to hear that someone had the answer for you. Washer's didn't come with your stock? I purchased a Kicklite stock for mine and it had everything, including a new bolt.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Nope, the washer wasn't included or was lost somehow. it's crazy that a milimeter or two would prevent the safety from working or the trigger from engaging. Thanks again, I added the washer and now its working fine.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,966 Times in 1,837 Posts