Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Propane Tank Problem

Advertise Here

Over time I have had a problem with propane tanks that wouldn't release their contents; I'd open the valve, but got no gas, even though, by weight, the gas was present in the tank.
(This has happened at times of moderate temperature.)
Has anyone a cure for a "reluctant" tank?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,118 Posts

Yes I do but it falls in the same catigory as those high efficiency 55 gal. plastic trash burn barrels.

Place the tank at 250 yards and shoot it with a 50bmg APIT, it will release its contents for ya.

Sorry I could not be any real help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,376 Times in 2,007 Posts

I wouldn't fu** with it, Have someone certified with this type of thing look at your tank and diagnose your problem.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,129 Times in 303 Posts

Take it down and exchange it at your closest Blue Rhino. Unless you are going to go with the .50BMG suggestion (Which I like by the way) $20 in propane is not worth getting hurt over. Once you the the Blue Rhino or whatever the equivalent is in your area (Sold at Gas stations or home depot) Then if they don't work you just take them back and exchange them and let them worry about it if they don't work. I keep several tanks at the house and have never had any problems with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slats For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 PM
This is a great survival forum

I have tried the exchange system. It worked for a while but I started to come across ones that didn't work. After changing it out, I would get home and the new one didn't work. Sucks having to drive all the way back to change it out again and hope that the store would honor the exchange. The one I have now is from Costco and has a gauge on it. I have owned it for 2 yrs with no problems and I get it refilled at U-Haul.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks to all who replied!-at present I have no Ma-Deuce available, so will use the "Blue Rhino" cure.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,868 Times in 5,067 Posts

Something to check:

These are OPD tanks. If you have the gas on when you connect the propane, unknowingly, the tank will not pressurize the system. Connect your tank, making sure your grill or other item is off. Turn on tank and then turn on grill. If that doesn't work, turn off tank, turn grill on and then off again. Turn tank back on and see if that cures the problem. It could be a pressure imbalance. The other thing to check, tip tank side to side, listen for float valve inside tank to move. If it doesn't, that has been damaged and it needs a new valve.

Snoop!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snoop37 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts

valve problem ..........
Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Sky Soldier

The new OPD safety valving have to have back pressure to open, if it is in a grill besure all burners are off before opening the tank.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Target Shooter

The overfill shut off valve is stuck. First way this happens is if they get transported other than upright. Rolling around in the back of a truuck is another way. One unrecomend way to fix this is to tap the tank on the ground till the float drops. Unrecomened because of obvious dangers. Enertia is your freind tie a stout rope to handle [not valve] suspend tank from rope, drop tank so it jerks at the end of the rope without impacting ground or anything else. Repeat warning do [B]NOT[B] tie rope to valve. A fall of three feet seems to be enough to shake loose the valve. Personal note; don't you feel safe now that the feds have mandated these malfunctioning valves on all propane tanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to azyogi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Beginner's Mind

Thanked 2,897 Times in 996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyogi View Post
Personal note; don't you feel safe now that the feds have mandated these malfunctioning valves on all propane tanks.
I also want to thank them for the new, safe, 5 gallon gasoline containers. They're safe only because there is no way to get gas out of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jungatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Trapper

I've run into this problem before. The solution was to make certain the appliance connection is completely tightened. There is another safety device on the OPD bottles that will not allow gas to flow out of the bottle if the grill connector is not turned in tightly. This feature is to prevent gas from being released and filling spaces to create an explosive/flammable area if the valve gets opened unintentionally.
If turning your connector completely tight does not work, it's either the bottle or there may be damage to the appliance connector.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 18,288 Times in 7,528 Posts

might not be a tank problem, but a regulator problem...
The Following User Says Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefunkymxw View Post
might not be a tank problem, but a regulator problem...

X2 , THIS IS WHAT I WOULD THINK OF FIRST !
The Following User Says Thank You to cj06 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Hunter

If you have a tank never allow it to pull air.

Never allow the valve on a empty tank to stay open so that air and moisture gets into the tank. one more days of heating in the sun and cooling at night can draw in a lot of moisture.
Always leave a pound or two pressure to remain in a empty tank. to prevent problems

One the oxygen in the air allows the inside of the tank to rust. and two the moisture will freeze to ice and plug the valve or the screen in your hose system.

The OPD system can be jammed by this ice or rust.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyogi View Post
The overfill shut off valve is stuck. First way this happens is if they get transported other than upright. Rolling around in the back of a truuck is another way. One unrecomend way to fix this is to tap the tank on the ground till the float drops. Unrecomened because of obvious dangers. Enertia is your freind tie a stout rope to handle [not valve] suspend tank from rope, drop tank so it jerks at the end of the rope without impacting ground or anything else. Repeat warning do [B]NOT[B] tie rope to valve. A fall of three feet seems to be enough to shake loose the valve. Personal note; don't you feel safe now that the feds have mandated these malfunctioning valves on all propane tanks.

x2 on above .that is what the guy told me that fills my tank.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM
BASS

I have taken off the propane line from the tank and pick up the tanks and turned it upside down in the air and gave it a shake.

I have also burped the tank. Shut of the gas grill burners. With the tank turned on start to loosen the propane line at the tank.. You will get burp of gas and then re-tighten the propane line and start the grill. It works for me and I have a tank I need to do this with quite often.