Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 PM
The Right of the People..

Default Storage in capri Sun Pouches

Advertise Here

Awhile ago, someone mentioned reusing capri sun pouches to store food in. They are mylar so why not?

I finally got about 40 of them saved up, washed out and dried. I also received my 50cc oxygen absorbers. 200 of them shipped for 15 bucks.

I am looking for ideas of what to store in them. I am planning on making a bunch of salt and sugar packs. I was also thinking maybe some single serve packs of rice or beans. The only problem is they are only 6 ounces. Not a lot of room.

My other thought was to make a bunch of spice packets. Maybe whole peppercorns or seasoning salt, maybe baking powders or even powdered eggs.

What do you guys/gals think I should do? I will post pictures as I go along.

Thanks for any suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to tedennis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,808 Times in 31,350 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

They seem to be an ideal size for spices, soup and gravy mixes, buillion, seaweeds if you store it, tea, etc. They'd be the perfect size for tomato and lemon powder. It's very concentrated and even though I cook with it often, that's just about the amount I would use in several months. It's very prone to absorbing moisture from the air, so opening smaller amounts like that would be handy.

I'd avoid putting O2 absorbers with your salt or sugar though. They don't require it anyway and it turns them into solid bricks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 PM

It is a good idea in fact I have thought about doing exactly the same thing. You can also use the bags that some rolling tobacco comes in, they are also Mylar and are bigger than the capri sun pouches. There are a number of every day products at the grocery stores that come in Mylar containers. You can store a number of items in them and re seal them with an iron on low heat after adding your O2 absorbers of course. You can store non food items in those capri sun pouches like matches as an example to keep them dry. I am sure you can find all sorts of goodies to put in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to DARKSIDE_1970 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 PM
The Right of the People..

Yah, I've read that salt and sugar don't need absorbers. But should I use a dessicant or not worry about it?

Great idea on the non food items. Would be perfect for matches. Or even little fire starters to keep them dry until needed.

I filled one with water and resealed with my hair straightener and sealed it good. I tried standing on it just to see what it would take and I estimate about 25 lbs before it broke.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,808 Times in 31,350 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedennis View Post
Yah, I've read that salt and sugar don't need absorbers. But should I use a dessicant or not worry about it?
Unless you're in a terribly humid area, I wouldn't worry about it. They generally contain anti-clumping additives. If you package them on a dry day you're good to go. If you do need to add a dessicant, you can generally find silica gel at local hobby shops. They use it for drying flowers and stuff. Or you can probably get a much better deal on it online.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedennis View Post
Awhile ago, someone mentioned reusing capri sun pouches to store food in. They are mylar so why not?

I finally got about 40 of them saved up, washed out and dried. I also received my 50cc oxygen absorbers. 200 of them shipped for 15 bucks.

I am looking for ideas of what to store in them. I am planning on making a bunch of salt and sugar packs. I was also thinking maybe some single serve packs of rice or beans. The only problem is they are only 6 ounces. Not a lot of room.

My other thought was to make a bunch of spice packets. Maybe whole peppercorns or seasoning salt, maybe baking powders or even powdered eggs.

What do you guys/gals think I should do? I will post pictures as I go along.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Here is that thread if you want to check out some of the ideas that others have been using it for:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=111956

There have been a lot of great ideas from mini first aid kits, to sewing kits, tinder and other stuff. I put an "easy tear slot" on the edge of them now so I can open them in a hurry. The slot tear is only on the edge and not through the seal.

Reminds me, I still have one buried in the yard that I have to dig up and check on. LOL Trying to wait 2 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Left the building

Thanked 25,204 Times in 8,254 Posts

I'm gonna have to try this. My grand daughters go through a box of those a week. I read the other thread a while back, just never really had them on hand. Great idea for recycling yet another useful item!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,236 Times in 3,956 Posts

Instead of that just do what we did. We bought brand new ones and they were alot cheaper then Buying them with the fluid in them and we didnt have to clean them or take the chance that they were not cleaned good enought heres where we get ours.
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/standupbags_order.html
And with the new ones you can seal them up and after you open them use them as a zip lock bag they are awsome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Great link. Thank you!