Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Pedophiles will die soon!

Thanked 1,481 Times in 576 Posts
Default Worms in my pinto beans

Advertise Here

I just learned a lesson about prepping in the spring. I had bought two 20 lbs bags of pinto beans a couple of weeks ago and just now am sealing them in Maylar bags. Well I noticed a few worms in one bag. The lesson for me is to make sure I seal what I get in the spring as soon as I get them.

Yes, I am going to keep them anyway even with the worms. There were only a few worms and if the oxygen absorber does it's job there will be no hatching of these into bugs. I will however mark this bucket as WORMS so it would be the very last one I ever used in a survival situation. Or I could use them as barter.

Anyone want to barter with me? I have pinto beans with some free protein!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,017 Posts

Mmmmm, werrrrrrrmzzzzz!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughFemale View Post
I just learned a lesson about prepping in the spring. I had bought two 20 lbs bags of pinto beans a couple of weeks ago and just now am sealing them in Maylar bags. Well I noticed a few worms in one bag. The lesson for me is to make sure I seal what I get in the spring as soon as I get them.

Yes, I am going to keep them anyway even with the worms. There were only a few worms and if the oxygen absorber does it's job there will be no hatching of these into bugs. I will however mark this bucket as WORMS so it would be the very last one I ever used in a survival situation. Or I could use them as barter.

No Thanks...not at the moment, however, in 3 -5 years I may change my mind. My former mother-in-law (who is no longer with us, but was always like a second mother to me) always had a garden and put up her own veggies every year and had a favorite saying "whoever eats the most peas/beans, gets the most protein"....that has also become my motto........
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GAdixiedarlin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 PM

And MY mother would say, "If there are worms, that means it's good food. Worms always go for what will sustain them."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 PM

I may use them to divert possible raiders. "Look raiders here is all I got a nice bucket of pinto beans". LOL

Honestly though if it come down to starving or eating those beans I would eat the beans. Hopefully the oxygen absorber will take care of them anyway. If not they would still make good bait for bird traps or I could feed them to my earthworm farm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,820 Times in 1,440 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Dang girl, you gots beans and meats.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepony View Post
Dang girl, you gots beans and meats.
Yea! I am a rich girl. Lots of protein! Beans and miniature weenies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
When all else fails......

Thanked 5,929 Times in 1,785 Posts

Quote:

HINT: throw a couple of bay leaves in your beans, rice, raw wheat bags and flour. Insects will not make it through the night. Some kind of chemical in the leaves. Grandma always used them for as long as I can remember and we never had bugs in our food or grain. I use them in my macaroni until I can put them up in bags or cans. WORKS !!!!!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to alaska_freedom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska_freedom View Post
HINT: throw a couple of bay leaves in your beans, rice, raw wheat bags and flour. Insects will not make it through the night. Some kind of chemical in the leaves. Grandma always used them for as long as I can remember and we never had bugs in our food or grain. I use them in my macaroni until I can put them up in bags or cans. WORKS !!!!!

That is a good idea. I should have put them away as soon as I got them home. I am sure the bugs come with them from the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,236 Times in 28,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska_freedom View Post
The bayleaf thing has been disproven in several different lab tests. Same with the Wrigley's Spearmint Gum one.

I'd stick to tried and true. If nothing else, at least use food grade diatomaceous earth. That's what they use in mixes like Bisquick to keep bugs out. It's cheap and has so many uses around the house that it should be a prep item anyway. Especially handy post SHTF!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,236 Times in 28,547 Posts

Quote:

The O2 absorber should take care of them. When you open them, it'll be easy to sift the little dry buggies out. A quick rinse and you're good to go.

It's funny. I've eaten a few insects and actually kinda like fried agave worms. But I'm still really squeemish about bugs in my foods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The O2 absorber should take care of them. When you open them, it'll be easy to sift the little dry buggies out. A quick rinse and you're good to go.

It's funny. I've eaten a few insects and actually kinda like fried agave worms. But I'm still really squeemish about bugs in my foods.
The fact that I only saw about 6 worms too out of only one of the bags. I think they will be ok too. I came close to pouring them out on the ground but then thought why not use them as a good experiment just to see how well my sealing methods are. I may open them up in a year just to see what happened to them. If it works they should just dry up and wash right out of the beans if I ever use them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Trapper

Dang,
where did you get them beans?
I have been buying my meat seperate.
They are weevils.
Do a google search of poison for weevils.
All so check all of your grains- Oats,Flour,Meal, Pasta,Rice, etc.
Also if your have deep freeze set at zero degrees and put your grains and beans in for thirty day. It will kill the eggs or Larve. prevents re-infestation.

No White Flag Above My Door.
Daveeeds
The Following User Says Thank You to daveeds For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeds View Post
Dang,
where did you get them beans?
I have been buying my meat seperate.
They are weevils.
Do a google search of poison for weevils.
All so check all of your grains- Oats,Flour,Meal, Pasta,Rice, etc.
Also if your have deep freeze set at zero degrees and put your grains and beans in for thirty day. It will kill the eggs or Larve. prevents re-infestation.

No White Flag Above My Door.
Daveeeds
Does it really take 30 days?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:

Or feed them to some goats. Those goats will love you for ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alligatorgars For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM
SLACK OUT!

What you got against extra protein? America is the only country that does not consume insects. Just have some beans tonight. Boil them if you have a question.
The Following User Says Thank You to PartisonConfederat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Target Shooter

Any time you bring home beans, grains, flour ,cornmeal ,rice ect,ect....repack them and then put them in the freezer for a week, then remove for a couple of days then put it back in the freezer for another week or two, remove one more time and let it warm up then pack into buckets. The other advice on o2 absorbers an D-earth is good also but if you do not have any on hand or are shy on cash the freeze-refreeze kills the larva. I have used this method and am just finnishing up the last of my KY2 flour. Now lets see, that makes it twelve years old...........
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ssonb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,464 Posts

When I started prepping, I learned about bugs the hard way, now it's 02 absorbers and Mylar for any long term storage. Nothing personal against bugs, just don't want them in my food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Nothing personal against bugs, just don't want them in my food.
The bugs say thanks, they understand, and they're not offended, and they appreciate your honesty.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,135 Posts

Worms in my pinto beans???? That would make a great Hank William's Jr song...."I got worms------------In my pinto beans-----------Shudda sealed them sooner-------Do you know what I means?-----------"