Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,093 Times in 759 Posts
Default 5.7 AR Upper?

Advertise Here

Anyone using the 5.7 upper on their AR15?

I have been looking at possibly getting one. I was thinking that a CAR set up with one of these uppers might be a nice little carbine for running through the woods. No need to carry any extra mags with 50 rounds riding on top.

If anyone has one of these please pipe up and let me know what you think of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to klickitat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,370 Times in 876 Posts

I dont see why any one would want a 5.7 chambered gun unless it is a tiny little PDW like the p90.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,585 Posts

A 5.7 AR upper is a problem searching for a solution. It's an overpriced, underpowered pipsqueak of a cartridge..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Hunter

I did not ask anyone for their opinion of the cartridge.

I asked if anyone had any experience with these uppers.
The Following User Says Thank You to klickitat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,986 Times in 2,986 Posts

i have had no experience with a 5.7 ar, because they are a pipsqueek gun!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
zombie response team

Thanked 1,370 Times in 876 Posts

I see it having a niche, and that niche is a small PDW like the p90. I don't see why you would want a full size carbine/rifle length weapon chambered in it.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Hunter

It's about balance. I don't need a belt fed .50 running through the woods. I have already built the lightest AR possible but my problem with the AR platform is that they are not balanced very well.

The 5.7 fits my needs just fine. What I like about the upper is that it puts 50 rounds on top of the receiver, changing the balance of the weapon. The other thing I like about the idea of this upper is that all the empties all the brass through the mag well.

With one mag that holds 50 rounds, I do not need to carry anything more and gives me more than enough for a 4 or 5 day trip into the woods. The 5.7 is perfect for bobcats and coyotes or any other small game. The 5.7 gives me everything I need and 50 rounds in what should be a better balanced rifle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klickitat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Hiker

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

If you have the money and want it, buy it.

But for me, the price of the ammo, magazines
and upper dont make it worth the price of the purchase.
I thought the set up with an ar15 pistol would be interesting,
but gave up on the idea.

If you dont get it done with 30 rounds of 5.56,
you probably wont get it done with 50 rounds of the
FN stuff.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quite frankly, there's nothing the 5.7 can do that a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire can't do for approximately half the price. ..and you can't even get the good ammo for the 5.7 unless you're "authorized". For the price of a 5.7 upper, there are much better niché options available, IMO

Doesn't look like there are any folks with 5.7 uppers on their ARs on here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Hunter

I looking at it because those fifty rounds are on top of the gun and not under it. It completely changes the balance of the gun. I got rid of my 30 rnd magazines a long time ago because they hang too low and make for an awkward weapon.

Ammo is on the shelf every where around here so that is not an issue. As for the .22 mag, I have not found a semi auto rifle in .22 mag that has the same capacity or in a slim package like I want.

I am not looking to take down grizzly and I am not wanting to put more than one shot into each critter I take anyhow. I do not like to tear up the pelts that I am after.

I spend a lot of time in the woods hunting and just running around. Here in the last couple of years I have been on a quest to find a light fast handling and well balanced rifle. The AR is an ok rifle and I like it, but it far from what I am looking for.

I am not wanting to carry an extra mag. I do that right now. I have a 20 rounder in the gun now and a 20 rounder in my back pocket when I am out and about now. I am trying to get away from carrying a second one and I do not like having a loaded mag hanging down under the gun.

I have spent enough time in the woods and have owned and shot enough guns to have an idea of what I am looking for. I doubt I will ever find the ideal gun, but that is part of the fun of looking for it.

I was hoping to find someone on here who has ran one, not relive the "I want a DPMS Cartoon"
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Considering that you are looking at making your AR more balanced, why would you put a 50 round 5.7 mag on it? I mean most of the weight would be from the mag well forward only to increase the barrel weight. With the standard 30 round AR mag the weight is centered under the receiver. Most if not all M4's that I have handled (and there have been many) are barrel heavy in the first place...just not sure that you are going to be able to get the balance that you are looking for by doing this.

Post back if your M4 happens to be rear heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to DARKSIDE_1970 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
It's about balance. I don't need a belt fed .50 running through the woods. I have already built the lightest AR possible but my problem with the AR platform is that they are not balanced very well.

The 5.7 fits my needs just fine. What I like about the upper is that it puts 50 rounds on top of the receiver, changing the balance of the weapon. The other thing I like about the idea of this upper is that all the empties all the brass through the mag well.

With one mag that holds 50 rounds, I do not need to carry anything more and gives me more than enough for a 4 or 5 day trip into the woods. The 5.7 is perfect for bobcats and coyotes or any other small game. The 5.7 gives me everything I need and 50 rounds in what should be a better balanced rifle.
I was about to state the same to the 5.7 haters . . . I agree it is not a powerful round but having a 50 rounds at your disposal without a 20-inch magazine sticking out the bottom is pretty friggin' cool. Would be great for laying prone. I want one
Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

Why is your AR off-balance? Did you sacrafice handling for low weight?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Why is your AR off-balance? Did you sacrafice handling for low weight?
He said that he built it with the lightest possible parts...I see reliability issues down the road. Light parts make for a weapon prone to failures in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE_1970 View Post
He said that he built it with the lightest possible parts...I see reliability issues down the road. Light parts make for a weapon prone to failures in my opinion.
Not necessarily, Eugene designed it to be lightweight in the beginning. Aluminum receiver, plastic handguards, hollow plastic stock, etc. He probably just used a standard profile barrel, small optic, and minimal buttstock. For this weapon, "Light" usually just means KISS or Standard. Now a carbon fiber or poly lower receiver does mean trouble later on, but only rookies go for those.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Prepared

I'll answer your question OP. I've got both the 16" and 11" upper. They're both a blast on the M16 lower. Recoil is light so follow up shots are easy in full auto or semi.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,613 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitat View Post

Or you could just get a PS90, SBR it, and have a rifle that's designed to shoot it from the ground up. The PS90 is a great rifle with a great reputation for reliability. I have a PS90 SBR and it's my favorite "run through the woods" gun when I go camping. It's absolutely tiny.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Hunter

Wow, a lot of stuff to go through since I left last night.

#1 I have 4 AR's right now and getting ready to build another. Of all that I have owned and still own, the XM177 version is my very favorite. It is light and fairly handy. The next one I am building is going to be a flat top version of the XM177.

#2 Balance - I am talking about rotational balance. Scopes up high or mags hanging down low effect the rotational balance of a gun. When you are in the woods and doing a lot of misc. tasks I like a rifle that handles well. A lever action 30/30 is a nice fast acting rifle until you put a scope on it and then the handling changes completely and it looses what made it good and adds nothing to it's capability.

#3 I thought about buying a PS90, but the cost is more than I wanted to spend. Also SBR are not allowed in Washington State.

TXSWFAN, please tell me more about your uppers and how they handle. Have you had any issues with them?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Prepared

Zero issues, even with the mags. On my M16A2 lower, they both run about 650 rpm. I'm guessing from experience. It took a while for 5.7 to come out with their FA bolt. Both uppers have never hiccuped with either bolt.

I have a PS90, but not a SBR. Both the wife and I enjoy shooting it too. We also like to shoot the 5.7 pistol because of the fast follow ups. It's a real easy handgun to shoot.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Hiker

There is a lot of misinformation on this forum by the so called experts. This place is like many forums online...too many experts that never owned or even fired the weapons being discussed, but that is another topic.

I had the AR57 upper along with the PS90 and FsN. The AR57 upper is a cool upper in that you can remove the follower and spring from any standar AR15 30rd mag and use it as a brass catcher. What more could you ask for in a platform that offers 50rd mags and no signs that there was ever a gun fight since all of your brass would be contained in the magazine.

The AR57 is a great way of getting into the 5.7 caliber because new the uppers are $600ish versus $1,300 for a PS90. You just need to swap to a heavy buffer on your AR15 lower and you are ready to go. The entire set up is lighter than typical AR15s.

The only negative for me about the AR57 is that you really cannot use standard scopes. You can have BUIS along with a short red dot as say the Aimpoint T1, but if you want a 3-9x optic, it's not going to happen with the AR57.

The 5.7 caliber is limited to 200 yard range, so you probably won't need a magnified optic. Get a red dot and you will be enjoying yourself on the range.

I sort regret that I traded my AR57 upper. I think you will be happy if you purchased one.