Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Default Romanian ak47 sar-1

Advertise Here

Hey!

Wanted to get some opinions and information about Ak's... I have a Romanian ak47 sar-1 that i inherited from a family member. He always said it was a decent version. I know some parts are romanian and some are american due to the laws, etc... I want to get another one, preferably a clone or exact match so i have a duplicate rifle for simplicity if the SHTF...

Any opinions for info about them, and other Ak's. I have been reading up, but there are so many variants and varietys, it gets very confusing. Can anyone boil it down simpler?

Is the Sar-1 fairly reliable as they go? i ready it is mid/high quality???

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,916 Times in 6,772 Posts

A good SAR-1 is hard to beat. I have one that was among my first rifle purchases from many years ago and I refuse to part with it. The thing is that they are reliable and practical. They aren't great for long range shooting or super accurate but they do have punch with that 7.62 X 39 ammo. If I remember right, I think that SAR-1 rifles are no longer imported which is a shame because they are decent ones to have around. But you can still get them. Just watch out for the canted front sights on them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

I've had one for a long long time. it's been 100% reliable, a good shooter. A little trigger slap, but I really don't care. It's a keeper. I bought it new for just under $300. It came with 2 30 round magazines and one 10 round magazine.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,183 Times in 682 Posts

Herd hit it on the head, generally like normal. People will poo poo Romanians alot but if you are on a budget they are pretty decent. You can get lemons (more often then the company should allow) but sending them back to get fixed is easy.

The question is do you want to stick with the same stock etc? There isn't a huge difference in most ak's so most of the parts will exchange freely provided your head spacing is good. Stocks (minus under-folders) handguards etc are a pretty universal, or file and hammer universal. Some Aks like the Egyptians have a few extra parts like a recoil spring retention button (why I am not sure) however basically the same across the board.

Differences really come into play with milled recievers vs stamped but both are good usually, people prefer one or the other for odd reasons I wont go into.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarksInnerDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,357 Times in 31,482 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

One of my AKs is a SAR 1. For a mid grade AK it's not a bad gun. It's been 100% reliable and is fairly accurate by AK standards. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah I have picked up on some of the issues and plus sides of certain aspects of the ak varieties such as milled versed stamped, etc. That is a good point that maybe another type or manufacturer may work fine an be interchangeable.

If I can not easily find another SAR1, what other makes do you guys recommend that isn't super expensive?

Yes I have shot a few hundred rounds through mine with no issues. It is a 2001 model which I have read was a good year. It is fun to shoot, look forward to getting a second. Then I want a good M1a/ m14!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Good rifle; very hard to find at a reasonable price nowadays
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,099 Posts

Mine shoots & functions well even with the canted sight. Trigger slap is easily fixable with a Tapco trigger. When I got mine they were a little over fifty bucks for the pair shipped. "Novice-tech" level too. Easy to install.

Buy a SAR-1. You'll love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks! By the way what is the main issue with the canted sites? I have seen it mentioned before... Glare or in accuracy in some way?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,411 Times in 4,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adapt_today View Post
Thanks! By the way what is the main issue with the canted sites? I have seen it mentioned before... Glare or in accuracy in some way?
Canted front sight.. one of mine has one. Doesn't affect performance.. a minor irritation, because you know it's there. lol Some day, I may bother having it corrected.... maybe.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Thanked 3,854 Times in 1,508 Posts

100% reliable.
Not very accurate.
Could use a muzzle brake.
Mismatched furniture is hilarious.

Much better than the WASR which is basically a 10 rounder modified to take normal-cap magazines.

All in all, definitely effective.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Double tap

I have one as well bought in 2001. I have around 4000 rounds through it and love it. I put some Topco furniture and POSP scope on it for fun. I have had no problems with it at all. I have run every damn magazine through it I could find. The trigger slap is there but it isnt a show stopper for me. I paid $299 for it and consider it a great value.
The Following User Says Thank You to USJudo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 AM

The SAR 1 was my first full caliber AK. It is made on a real military receiver which had to be marked for export, hence the chicken scratch on the right side. The SAR 1 is the closest thing to a real AKM in the US for a semi auto. It is ugly, the finish looks scratchy, but I would not part with mine for anything.

If you have one with straight sights it is a keeper, and more than likely a total bullet hose. It is the type of AK you don't mind tossing behind the seat or taking on the trail. Mine has never jammed in many thousands of rounds and punishment. It is eager to eat more ammo and asks, "Is that all you got?"

The gun accepts any mags of the caliber I have tried. The front sight post is drilled and ready for the muzzle attachment detent and spring so you can easily thread the barrel and select the LH14X1 muzzle device of your choosing. Add a weld to build up the area where the Bayonet lug was ground off, and shape it to again take a bayonet. I love the SAR1.

As you see in the posts here. Most guys who have the SAR1 will not part with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to fullbore For This Useful Post: