Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default Synthetic oil for high mileage vehicles?

Advertise Here

I've been using synthetic oil in my passenger cars for about 2 years now.
I've notice a slight bump in gas mileage.

I'd love to start using it in my truck (114k) because at these prices, I really need a bump in gas mileage.

I remember reading, however, that synthetic oil will cause leaks in older vehicles. Not sure if it had to do with gaskets used in chronologically older vehicles or the idea that it will loosen up leak-sealing sludge.

Any truth to this?
Should I feel comfortable using it, or am I asking for another Exxon Valdez?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Hunter

I am not 100% on this, but I think it will loosen up the sludge. Once you do go synthetic you can't go back is another rumor I have heard. I do use it in my vehicles thow.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldcamper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 38,652 Times in 12,987 Posts

All oil can be used with any other oil. Before during or after syn, blend, dino-doesn't matter. @ 114k you may notice a leak or 2 you never had before as it will find its way through where reg. dino could not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 AM

I have been a mechanic most of my life, to me its a toss up. I use regular valvoline oil in my Ford e250 work van, and synpower full synthetic in my 06 suv. I have worked with a guy that ran used 15w40 full syn oil from diesel engines ( We are Diesel Mechanics) in his 92 suburban, now he has done this for several years and has yet to have any problems. Would I do this, no , can it be done, yep , As for increasing you MPG if you adjust your driving habits, grade of fuel, modify your air intake setup, depending on how new your vehicle is and what kind there are chip options, this would be a larger bump than your oil is going to provide. Hopefully some of this helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Indyoutdoors For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 AM
This is a great survival forum

I switched from Castrol GTX to Pennzoil High Mileage in my car with 150K plus miles and the gas mileage went up 1-2 mpg. It went up another 1 mpg when I switched to non-ethanol gasoline. I am a total freak about my mileage I whip out the calculator at every fill-up.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 38,652 Times in 12,987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Keenbean View Post
I switched from Castrol GTX to Pennzoil High Mileage in my car with 150K plus miles and the gas mileage went up 1-2 mpg. It went up another 1 mpg when I switched to non-ethanol gasoline. I am a total freak about my mileage I whip out the calculator at every fill-up.
Well if you have an pre (07?) car you can cause damage usin 10% ethonal. Fuel pump,lines, injectors can all be damaged. Also you are actually LOSING abit of power AND mileage doing it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 17,172 Times in 4,812 Posts

Synthetic oil does not cause oil leaks!

Oil leaks are from bad, loose or poorly sealed gaskets

I use synthetic blend in my vehicles and pure synthetic in my Harleys

I like the lubrication properties of the synthetic in the high heat application of the air cooled Harley motors
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
-- - --

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,133 Posts

If I may shed some light from 30+ years experience testing oils for one of the Big 3.

• The largest benefit from synthetic is ability to change oil less frequently. It lasts longer!

• Oil economy may improve based on the oil you are running.

• Gaskets don't react to oil type usually. If they are going to leak, regular or synthetic will most likely not be the reason.

• Can't use regular oil after synthetic? Hogwash.

• People change their oil too often! If taxi cabs in Las Vegas can run 10,000 miles between oil changes with absolutely no oil related issues, so can 99% of us. Kids, don't try this at home, do what your owners guide tells you.

• People use the wrong viscosity for their engine! If your owners guide says to use 5W20 - use it! The engine was designed for that oil viscosity and was tested with it. There is zero benefit running 10W30 in an engine designed for 5W20. Honest. It took me years to prove to an Orlando taxi company they would have less problems running the multi viscosity oil designed for their engines instead of straight 30W. OMG.......

• Today's oils are near synthetic quality. Not quite there but almost and cost less. If you want to use synthetic, take advantage of the increased oil change interval. Always use name brand high quality oil. Billy Jo Bob's Bucket of Sludge brand motor oil available at Tony's Bait & Haircuts for 45 cents a quart is not for you LOL. You would be surprised how much testing is performed by major engine oil companies at great expense. One last thing - what do oil companies want you to do? Buy their oil and lots of it. Let the auto company decide what the oil change intervals are - not the oil company. I hope this helps folks a little here. Both oil choices these days have a lot going for them. Good luck!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,627 Times in 7,032 Posts

I use AMSOIL in all my vehicles, Explorer is at 98,000 miles, Impala at 81,000 and my Harley has 42,000, none burn oil or have oil leaks.

here is something that might help. I use the Harley version in every tank.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Prepped and Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Keenbean View Post
Very true. I can't find the stuff anywhere though.
I think they're all blending it now.

Why?
Because I'm a freak about mileage too. Remember when gas went down to 1.37 or so in '09? When tankers were parked at sea waiting for the price of oil to rise?
During that time, I was getting about 29 mpg in our van. Up from 26. It's my belief that at the time, NO ONE was blending ethanol. It was just more expensive than crude oil, so why bother.
That's my theory anyway.

BTW, up to 10% ethanol is okay in older cars. IMO, it's unavoidable anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuellerBueller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Prepped and Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfarmer View Post
If I may shed some light from 30+ years experience testing oils for one of the Big 3.

The largest benefit from synthetic is ability to change oil less frequently. It lasts longer!
Yes.
Running synthetic, allows me to go by the book (every 5k) rather than 3k as is commonly recommended.

One strange thing I noticed: Our van runs about a quart low at around 4k miles. Definitely not leaking. Has to be burning synthetic whereas it wasn't previously burning dino. Don't know what that's all about.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,627 Times in 7,032 Posts

I have, when I was out of AMSOIL used Mobile One Synthetic Hight mileage from Wal Mart. Mobile One is my second choice and is good stuff.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Trapper

Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil and other top shelf oils are the best. I use PP10w30 and never loose a drop of oil on the stick in my t/a with 180k almost. You can switch back and fourth as much as you want though with some vehicle oil will be consumed more with synthetic.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshiedoom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Head for the Hills!

Saying that a brand of oil is the best, is about as realistic as saying a brand of vehicle is the best. Translation = Amzoil is the best, or Pennzoil is the best, or [insert your favorite Nascar team oil here] is the best is flat out crap.

Read some REAL world BLIND tests, done by INDEPENDENT labs and you will see that for certain applications (what, you mean we don't all need to use the same oil in our Honda Accords that I use in my F350 diesel?????) any given BRAND will have SPECIFIC oil products that perform well and some that do not.

I would like to encourage you folks to spend a little time here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

This report might be of particular interest:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

NOTE - The report (above) is for diesels, however, the point is:

1 - All oils are NOT created equal. They have additives. Exhaustive testing and analysis is not conducted by advertising departments (or your best friend). It's done in boring (as in not exciting) labs. And the results are scientific and don't lie.

2 - The oil you THINK is the best, probably isn't. (and the best may not be the most expensive OR a synthetic!)

3 - Good filtration is equally important as good oil. (do some research, you will be surprised by the differences and who actually makes what)

4 - GET an oil analysis done! It *IS* the truth and the truth will set you free. (or at least prove to you that you do NOT need to be changing your oil every 3,000 miles and using $6 - $9 a quart oil)

5 - If it sounds like Caca del Toro, it probably is. GET THE FACTS.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteelGlide For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Prepared

Castrol High Milage. Nuff said. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to SEND IT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Prepped and Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEND IT View Post
Castrol High Milage. Nuff said. lol
Yeah. Using high mileage oil in it now.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
Well if you have an pre (07?) car you can cause damage usin 10% ethonal. Fuel pump,lines, injectors can all be damaged. Also you are actually LOSING abit of power AND mileage doing it...
My car is a '94, i'm broke.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,408 Posts

All that crap about can't switch back to regular after using synthetic is hogwash.

In my 1995 Grand Cherokee with 160k miles, I use full synthetic at every oil change. It leaks a bit so I check my oil every time I fill up. When it's a quart low, I buy a quart at the filling station (which don't always carry synthetic) and top it off. Some of my friends give me grief about it. I tell them an engine full of mixed oil is better than a quart low with 100% synthetic. And I have 160k miles on my engine to prove it.

I do agree that it will sometimes cause leaks where you didn't have them before. Synthetic oil is a little thinner than regular. You can tell when you pour it. It will leak through tiny crevices and slip around seals easier than regular oil. That's part of what makes it better for your engine, but also sometimes causes leaks.

I switched my wife's 2001 Suburban to synthetic at around 110k miles, it started burning oil a bit. Not enough that you'd notice it in the exhaust, but I check the oil with every fill-up on that car as well and we were definitely putting more in it than we were with traditional oil. I switched back to regular ol' Quaker State.

In my opinion the best bang-for-buck when it comes to gas mileage is the "right foot mod." Drive slower, accelerate slower. Doesn't cost a dime and can really make a difference.
Try driving 65mph instead of 75mph on the highway and check your MPG's, you'll be surprised!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,736 Times in 3,256 Posts

OK, oil gurus, a question. A number of years ago in one of the hot rod magazines I used to read, it was suggested to use Shell Rotella T motor oil to break in flat tappet cams because the new blends just don't have the anti wear properties of the old style oils.
Is this true? I know that commercial diesel trucks use Rotella oil and those engines last many hundreds of thousands of miles.
Would Rotella be good for light duty vehicles? I tend to use whatever name brand is on sale at Advance Auto Parts in my old commuter Buick, and Castrol GTX in my 2007 GMC Sierra.