Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 PM
just your average nobody

Default barking deer?

Advertise Here

while camping this weekend on my property, I was awoken to a growling/barking sound very close to my tent. I probably heard it 10 or 15 times before I fully woke up, grabbed my flash light and pistol, and investigated. By the time I got out of the tent, what ever it was had run about 50 yards away, and all I could see were it's eyes.

I found a Youtube video that shows a Roe deer in Europe making the EXACT same noise, however, I'm from Minnesota and there are no Roe deer here that I know of. Has anyone ever heard a whitetail or mule deer make this noise? Any ideas of what I heard?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Surviving Life

Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,126 Posts

I learn something new everyday!
The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
just your average nobody

let me tell you, it's pretty freaky getting woken up at 2am by an animal making a sound, and you have no idea what it is!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,585 Posts

They must because the noise at 40 sec. mark I've heard before at O dark thirty on my way into a stand. Kind of eerie in the dark to hear it.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Pedophiles will die soon!

Thanked 1,481 Times in 576 Posts

I have had them do that to me too in KY. I was walking in the woods at night and walked right up to one and it made this noise. Scared the life out of me the first time. I don't know why they do that.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Trapper

Thanked 3,132 Times in 444 Posts

That is actually a "cough" and typical of a whitetail that is alarmed. They will make this sound when they are unsure but know something is wrong. Many times it will be accompanied by a "stomp"or stomping their hooves on the ground. Both the cough and stomp serve two purposes. First it sends an immediate sound warning of danger to all other deer in the area. Secondly, it is also a method of startling the threat into movement to give away the threats exact location and confirm deers suspicion.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MT Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 PM
just your average nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Patriot View Post
That is actually a "cough" and typical of a whitetail that is alarmed. They will make this sound when they are unsure but know something is wrong. Many times it will be accompanied by a "stomp"or stomping their hooves on the ground. Both the cough and stomp serve two purposes. First it sends an immediate sound warning of danger to all other deer in the area. Secondly, it is also a method of startling the threat into movement to give away the threats exact location and confirm deers suspicion.
thanks for that explanation. I've never heard one do that before even when hunting. I guess when it came upon my camp in it's woods, it didn't like it much!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dill For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 AM

I've had fallow deer bark at me many times, not sure on whitetails, or mule deer.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,092 Posts

It's been a while since I bow hunted but IIRC, in the rut at least, you should exercise some caution when you hear that. It can indicate a ticked off buck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64duracraft For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Rather be outside than in

Yep just means she didn't like you there in her territory, most likely telling the other deer to stay away from you.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM

I have actually had white tail bark at me, snort and stomp while hunting in PA. It is usually because they are alarmed and don't know what you are. Its kind of a warning to other deer and also them trying to make you move so that they can see what you are or where you are. I have had deer in front of me practically dance trying to see me or get me to move (all in camo). Deer are actually really smart. While I was in my tree stand I watched a white tail doe stand behind a larger tree as another hunter walked by. She slowly side stepped around the tree to keep the hunter from seeing her. True story...
The Following User Says Thank You to cgean For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,743 Times in 1,788 Posts

I have had deer do that to me as well. I was working in my middle ravine building a goat shelter and was standing taking a break when a doe and a young fawn walked into the opening where i was. They both saw me there but I wasn't moving so they didn't run, when the fawn got curious and came over to me the mom started doing that. Funny though the baby didn't pay any attention to mom, just stayed there right at my feet carefully sniffing at my feet and legs. I probably could have kept it there for a while but I had been completely motionless for about 7 minutes already and it was really starting to hurt. I moved and the baby then listened mom... lol

Does will especially do this for the sake of their fawns and fawns just like our children do not always listen, could be why you heard so much of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM

That would spook the hell out of me. Never thought a deer could make a noise like that.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Subterranean Nut Hoarder

Thanked 1,229 Times in 431 Posts

Muntjac deer bark... tho I doubt that's what you heard out in the boonies. In the US, they're mostly kept as pets or by exotic pet breeders. But, stands to reason that if one kind of deer can bark, they all probably have the ability.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:49 AM

Here's a vid I found of a young sambar doing the same thing in Aus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Pete For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,446 Times in 1,400 Posts

Luckily I was not there, i would of shot first and asked questions later,lol.
J/K, freaky
Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 AM

I had this happened to me. I was sitting on my creek enjoying the random noise and solitude as well as an adult beverage, when a deer came through the brush at high speed across the creek, barking like this but a higher pitch than the videos. I saw a flash or orange behind her in the grass, which I later saw was a mountain lion from my game camera, right behind her. I wasn't packing heat at the time as I had the stereo blasting 75 feet above. The deer went into the brush and never re-appeared. After about 45 seconds of thought, I decided it was time to move to the porch, as my miniscule brain matter concluded what had happened and I was armed with a knife and a walking stick.

I investigated the area the next day and found no blood trail but the brush in this area is dense enough that the deer could have turned out of the field of view.

Needless to say, I'm always packing now, even in bathing shorts. Only got the game cameras last year and I got a few more since then. I'm surprised at he amount of game that travels through my patch of the woods. The cat is around occasionally but I'm looking to get a tag to bag em. The rest I leave alone as they may come in handy in the future.

Before this, I'd never seen a deer vocalize.

Edit: after thought, I know a lot of you backwoods boys just are just thinkin, Rack that bastid. Cougar meat sucks from what I've heard. I wanna stuff this bastid, if I can get him/her, PETA be damned and you ain't getting nothing stuffed up here without a tag, I know cause I've checked. I would fire on it if it appeared even without a tag as a nuisance animal, which is legal in ID, Trust me, a Cougar is lookin to eat you, and that is a nuisance in my book. Behind a Griz, highest attack/fatal animal attack rate in the US as my mind sits here and thinks about it. Somewhere around 15-40% as I recall so don't go all Sierra Club on me.
The Following User Says Thank You to firestat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Fly it Northward

coastal mule deer do it too...kinda wierd the first time ya hear it
Old 06-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Dyin aint much of a livin

I have heard them do that before, but not that many times in a row. Just once or twice to warn other deer in the area.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,036 Times in 985 Posts

I've had whitetails snort, grunt and bleat but no barking, usually if they're unsure of what you are they'll snort they also snort to warn others but it's done through the nose.