Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,759 Times in 973 Posts
Default Certain silver coins are hot right now

Advertise Here

The last few day I've been hunting down silver coins that I like.I feel it is a good idea to buy coins that are in high demand. I feel you get a better premium when you sell. I bought the Lunar Tiger coins and a few of the older Maple leafs from the RCM mint. The Grizzly and Wolf are some of the best coins to add to your collections. Any Scottsdale coins or bars are also demanding real high premium.

If silver ever drops real low these coins will still hold there value.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,013 Posts

At the gun show, there was a guy with coins there and I asked how much he wanted for his SAE's and he told me he wasn't selling them. He offered to buy mine.

Oh well..
The Following User Says Thank You to onealx4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Survivor

I bought 180 silver Mecury dime. I started buying them for the metal content . All of them were old coins from the Denver mint and SF. All of them are in excellent condition for there age. I paid 2.00ea. on average. There is some good deals to be found if you look hard`enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Hunter

I've got 10 Scottsdale one ounce bars, if anyone is interested shoot me a pm.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Prepared

They will not hold there value alone. They will hold their premium. I can usually get American eagles at spot, but can usually sell them for 1-2 dollars over spot. The lunar series usually $5 over spot. But when silver was at 8 per ounce, I was selling American eagles at $10, and the lunar series at $13.00. If you buy a lunar series at 50$ a coin do not expect it to maintain a lot of value on collect-ability. You can buy a coin for its metal value, or numismatic value. The coins with a lot of numismatic value (which contain precious metal) will not be influenced by minor changes in silver or gold value, even if silver goes to $100 an ounce, and gold to 3000 an ounce. Even if the pm's increased this much I would not expect a corresponding increase in rare valuable coins with those metals in them. For example a rare Morgan dollar worth 600 when silver is at $15 and ounce is likely to have no increase in value when silver is at $50 an ounce.

You will pay several hundred to several thousand over the spot value for these types of coins that are basically immune to the spot pm price fluctuations. The closer a coins value is to the spot metal price, the more likely it will be strongly influenced by its metal content and the value of that content.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarknessFalls For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,387 Times in 714 Posts

There are always some specific assayers and bullion sites that are seen as being a step above the others even though there product is .999 just like the others.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM

I recently sold off my Australian Lunar bullion, Dragons were selling for over $100 each and most of the rest around $70 each. Quite a bit over spot right now, so collectable status does make a difference, wish I'd bought more when they came out.
The Following User Says Thank You to wester For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 AM

IMO... When SHTF they will all be valued as the current rate for 1oz .999 or whatever. The pretty picture won't make any difference. The only possible exception might be slabbed coins and super rarities as they will remain in hiding except for special purchases.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Survivor

I would of bought them dragons.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Survivor

Who said they will be selling there silver WSHTF. The coin and special bullion in hot demand will go for big money after the economy comes back.I figure just like nice art work they will hold there value.No one will want silver right after a collapse. Sooner or later silver and gold will be needed as money.

A town might determine only a certain type coin will be used as money. What if you went into Mexico or Canada to make some trades, what do you think they might except. I would bet you would need there most popular silver coins.You would have a hard time trading rounds or junk silver.
The Following User Says Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM

I don't think so.... however I do agree that recovering your wealth AFTER the stabilization and recovery of civilization is when the best use of PM will be, but only a few may place the same value on your artwork that you do and they may not be readily available or in a position to provide your needs. Circumstances may render your MS-65 high relief St.Gaudens the same value as a Krugerand. At that point you have a decision to make.

Shortly after SHTF when people start bartering with each other is when silver will begin to appear. At that point only marked bullion and US coinage (aka junk silver and maybe some older Canadian coins near the border areas) will be accepted at expected values. Most people recognize US silver coinage but few know the % content or value of foreign coins - Which years of Mexican pesos have silver content and what % is it? quick now don't look it up in a book. Unmarked silver will either be heavily discounted or not accepted at all for fear of forgery and no way to safely value it.
So my point is that US coins will be immediately recognized and valued while bullion coins have so many varieties and most people are not familiar with the collectability of Kooks and Pandas vs Eagles and Loonies that they will refer to the fineness markings to place a value and ignore the pretty picture. 1oz .999 is only worth 1oz .999 and today's price is....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invalid-IP For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,869 Times in 3,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SLOW View Post
Who said they will be selling there silver WSHTF. The coin and special bullion in hot demand will go for big money after the economy comes back.I figure just like nice art work they will hold there value.No one will want silver right after a collapse. Sooner or later silver and gold will be needed as money.

A town might determine only a certain type coin will be used as money. What if you went into Mexico or Canada to make some trades, what do you think they might except. I would bet you would need there most popular silver coins.You would have a hard time trading rounds or junk silver.

Perhaps rounds will be more difficult to convince folks about purity, but 'junk' silver will be king. The denominations of junk silver and other US silver coins have the variety of weights necessary for proper exchange/barter amounts. Everyone recognizes US junk silver coins and fraud in junk silver will be more difficult and less practical.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sierra skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra skier View Post
[/B]

Perhaps rounds will be more difficult to convince folks about purity, but 'junk' silver will be king. The denominations of junk silver and other US silver coins have the variety of weights necessary for proper exchange/barter amounts. Everyone recognizes US junk silver coins and fraud in junk silver will be more difficult and less practical.

Maybe an oz of silver = an oz of silver and all numismatic value will be moot. Here rounds will rule, as they are the cheapest to acquire. Or maybe they will receive the most suspicion for fakes.

Maybe the American Eagle will be king, because it is legal US tender.

Maybe the Canadian, Austrialian and Chinese bullion coins will carry more weight in a trade due to its collector value. Or Maybe not.

Maybe the junk silver will just go into circulation. Maybe, most people won't know the pertinent dates of the junk silver, so they will think they are just normal coins, and not value them at all.

Maybe Gold will be more desirable than silver.

Nobody really knows. This system will develop organically and probably very inefficiently.

The best thing to do is to diversify your stack into the various categories. Buy some collectable slabbed bullion coins. Buy some numismatic coins. Buy some gold bullion coins.

This way, when the time comes, you will have options.

The slabbed foreign bullion coins are going up in value as we speak.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 PM

I don't foresee much counterfeiting of 1 oz bullion, it's more work than reward. Collectibles like Pandas are a different story precisely because of the premium. I wouldn't doubt there are fake Lunar's or whatever's hot out there now. I think people will accept the fineness markings on 1 oz rounds along with a simple ring test like they used to do with silver dollars.

While most people currently don't know the pre-64 date for silver or the content, they will learn quickly. A quick check of existing reference books and everyone in town will soon know exactly what a 1960 US quarter is worth in terms of goods and services. Same goes for bullion. However I don't think there will be many collectors looking to add to their collection... that's when collections will be used for basic necessities. If I have a goat to sell for 5 oz of silver I sure as heck am NOT going to take 4 just because yours have a pretty picture on them. I am selling that goat cuz I need the liquidity for other things and I want 5 of them not 4. You, OTOH, are going to capitulate because you cant milk/eat/breed the bullion and have the need for the goat.

That is why a long time ago I sold off most of my "collectible" coins and bought junk & .999 silver rounds. Sure I still have some slabs and special trinkets but they will be the last to go.

Buying the special coin editions and different art series is fun and can be rewarding in many ways but don't fool yourself into thinking they will hold their premium after TSHTF.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invalid-IP For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,869 Times in 3,152 Posts

Quote:
[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundsvall View Post
Maybe an oz of silver = an oz of silver and all numismatic value will be moot. Here rounds will rule, as they are the cheapest to acquire. Or maybe they will receive the most suspicion for fakes.

Maybe the American Eagle will be king, because it is legal US tender.

Maybe the Canadian, Austrialian and Chinese bullion coins will carry more weight in a trade due to its collector value. Or Maybe not.

Maybe the junk silver will just go into circulation. Maybe, most people won't know the pertinent dates of the junk silver, so they will think they are just normal coins, and not value them at all.

Maybe Gold will be more desirable than silver.

Nobody really knows. This system will develop organically and probably very inefficiently.

The best thing to do is to diversify your stack into the various categories. Buy some collectable slabbed bullion coins. Buy some numismatic coins. Buy some gold bullion coins.

This way, when the time comes, you will have options.

The slabbed foreign bullion coins are going up in value as we speak.
I will default back to my previous post above. I do not believe numismatic values will follow. Basically an ounce will represent an ounce and that is why pre'65 coins will have the most versatility.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM

I agree with Sierra Skier....I think the rest of you are just doing some "wishful thinking". When it comes to the US dollar losing value as a means of trade....the only thing left will be gold, silver, bread, food items, medicinal items, etc. That will become our means of trade.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GAdixiedarlin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM

I agree with invalid-IP for the most part. However I personally like the Canadian and US coins as most people know and recognize them. I think there would be more readily traded than a plain silver round. Mostly though, I favor 90% silver coins for their small denominations.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
secessionist

Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,576 Posts

I baught morgan and peace dollars for 8-10 dollars each in AU-BU condition. Glad I was a coin collector back in the late 80s now.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I will default back to my previous post above. I do not believe numismatic values will follow. Basically an ounce will represent an ounce and that is why pre'65 coins will have the most versatility.
I agree with Sierra Skier. Silver and gold will be valued by weight, not rarity or condition. Without a red book or the internet, nobody will even know the numbers minted or numismatic value. Without a cherrypicker's guide, nobody will know the die varieties. And if TSHTF, coin grading services will close.

I too believe that generic silver rounds (non-government issued) will be very suspect. In addition, even complicated government designs can be counterfeited and people may be unfamiliar with foreign coins. If TSHTF, junk silver will be king. They are not worth counterfeiting, most people are very familiar with them (they will notice if something is wrong), they have ridged edges (prevents coin shaving), and have a low value compared to rounds, making them superior for bartering. If nothing bad happens, rounds offer a lower premium, and the ability to test for fakes will be available to anyone who might want to buy one.

I am a coin collector, so I would like to offer my perspective. As far as investments go, coins do seriously appreciate over time. In every set (ie. Mercury Dimes, Lincoln Cents, Standing Liberty Quarters, etc...) there are a few "key" dates. These key dates are important because they limit how many people can complete a set, because of their low mintage, condition rarity (ie. hard to find a particular coin in a good condition, usually because of raised dates/motifs or heavy circulation), or due to a lack of surviving specimens. Probably the most well known key date is the 1909-s VDB Lincoln cent, which due to low mintage (that year there were Indian Head cents, VDB/non-VDB Lincolns, and two different mint marks) and attrition due to age, is very valuable. Over any particular decade, many key dates have appreciated dramatically - often upwards of 20%. Thus, key dates do offer serious investment potential, although I do not expect anyone to buy them if TSHTF, because knowledgeable coin collectors are rare, and rare coins won't be particularly valued. However, they offer a safe place to put your money if you are worried about stocks and the like, that are an alternative to precious metal bullion, because they are valuable for a different reason than gold/silver are, as are rare artworks.

If you do not know anything about coins, it is probably a bad idea to buy them. However, as a buy-and-hold, they have done very well for me, although I never intended them to be an investment in the first place. I have sold all of my collections, except for a complete Lincoln cent collection, and was very surprised at how much money they were worth, considering I had bought many of the coins just five years ago. I would actually like to sell my Lincoln collection, even though it holds sentimental value, because I'd like to transfer my wealth into precious metals. However, I have been having problems because none of my key dates are slabbed. Thus, my coins, which were all pulled out of circulation raw, are so valuable nobody will make a good offer unless an independent company appraises them.

Back to the topic at hand, if you are looking to invest in precious metals, do not buy coins for their grade (although buying slabbed coins might be worth the premium, because the slab protects you against buying counterfeits), but rather for their gold/silver content. If TSHTF, you can expect to sell by weight in troy ounces, not condition. If TSHTF, coins will be treated as barter objects and money, not as collectibles. However, collectible coins will appreciate in value if all remains right with the world.

And junk silver will be more valuable for bartering small goods than larger, more valuable coins, or uncomplicated design-wise rounds. Of course, you won't be able to buy a house with junk silver either, so keep in mind what your needs are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuyFrost For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,775 Times in 857 Posts
Default Painted ASE

Around here Painted ASE are a waist of time. They sell for $10 over spot, but deaers around here will only buy them for spot.

I can never find Canadian Wolfs and Grizzly around hear. I would get them if I could.