Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Hiker

Default What's the #1 most important food item ?

Advertise Here

I keep getting these e-mails from different groups and there's always somebody selling a book regarding survival in 2012, surviving a food crisis etc. The one I got today was a book about the 37 food items that will dissapear from the stores first in a crisis and the book claims to tell you the #1 most important food item to store. I'm not planning to buy this $50.00 book but was wondering what you all think is the #1 most important food item to store, not including water?
The Following User Says Thank You to momof4survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,771 Times in 988 Posts

For us it would be rice. We can catch fish and pick oranges, mangos and coconuts.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Yes rice because you can mix fish you catch or wild greens. Beans would also be good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snake3336 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,523 Times in 4,582 Posts

potato

No native pests, grows in massive bulk per square inch, high in starch, used as a staple world wide, normally blight resistant. (have more then one variety and you wont face the Irish Potato famine.

Also it is easy to store, and can last years in a cool, dark, dry root cellar.

IMHO I call the potato the North American Survivalist food of choice.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Target Shooter

canned chili
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to QueechoFeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,691 Times in 2,278 Posts

Ultimately, protein and carbohydrates/ starches. Everything those books tell you, you can learn right here...for FREE. I bought into the Y2K crap years ago. I bought books from "experts" , read every article, subscribed to Y2k magazines, ect., ect., Ad Infinitum. After all was said and done ,I sat there looking at all the wasted money I spent for naught, and realized these people didn't believe a flippin' word of what they wrote. It was all about making $$$ off gullible people. Fear sells books just as much as sex, tragedy, and bad news sells newspapers. Nothing will come of this 2012 B.S. . Make "prepping" a lifestyle, and you will not have to worry about some MANUFACTURED impending doomsday. Coincidentally, you will be better off if something REAL actually happens, like a tornado, hurricane, blizzard, job loss, financial crisis. As for food, stock what you use, and use what you stock. When you shop , buy 3 of every can, to get started. One to use, one for your pantry, and one for your reserves. As you use one, buy two to replace it. Rotate stock. Rice is a good , stable , easily stored food that is very cost effective right now. Dried beans are as well, and have protein. Canned meats , such as tuna, chicken, and Spam are good to get you started. Set aside staples, salt, pepper corns ( and a grinder), sugar, instant coffee/ tea, sugar. Then get some comfort foods. Don't buy into the hype...literally. BTW, Recently for fun I did a google search for some of the authors of these old Y2K books...nothing. Y2K was a great business move for them. TP
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Patriot View Post
Ultimately, protein and carbohydrates/ starches. Everything those books tell you, you can learn right here...for FREE. I bought into the Y2K crap years ago. I bought books from "experts" , read every article, subscribed to Y2k magazines, ect., ect., Ad Infinitum. After all was said and done ,I sat there looking at all the wasted money I spent for naught, and realized these people didn't believe a flippin' word of what they wrote. It was all about making $$$ off gullible people. Fear sells books just as much as sex, tragedy, and bad news sells newspapers. Nothing will come of this 2012 B.S. . Make "prepping" a lifestyle, and you will not have to worry about some MANUFACTURED impending doomsday. Coincidentally, you will be better off if something REAL actually happens, like a tornado, hurricane, blizzard, job loss, financial crisis. As for food, stock what you use, and use what you stock. When you shop , buy 3 of every can, to get started. One to use, one for your pantry, and one for your reserves. As you use one, buy two to replace it. Rotate stock. Rice is a good , stable , easily stored food that is very cost effective right now. Dried beans are as well, and have protein. Canned meats , such as tuna, chicken, and Spam are good to get you started. Set aside staples, salt, pepper corns ( and a grinder), sugar, instant coffee/ tea, sugar. Then get some comfort foods. Don't buy into the hype...literally. BTW, Recently for fun I did a google search for some of the authors of these old Y2K books...nothing. Y2K was a great business move for them. TP
Thanks. That's kind of what I figured. I have learned so much here and from the 2 books that I own and other blogs online. I am at a point where I don't think that those books can tell me what I don't already know generally speaking. Of course I always need to learn specific skills, but that's not what these people are touting. They are very good at catering to our fears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momof4survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,579 Posts

Wheat Flour.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I Dig My Gold

Thanked 4,328 Times in 1,801 Posts

For us having a large stock of freeze dried and dried fruits is important. Rice would be my second choice since we do not grow it.

We have plenty of long term meat,fish and potatoes,veggies & beans we grow here but not enough producing fruit trees. At least our wild blackberry crop is always doing well.

Red
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedWoods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,574 Posts

WATER is always number 1. Without it nothing else matters!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to seawind For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Target Shooter

tators and rice.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to westernkansas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
point blank

salt,suger......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,017 Posts

Nobody wants to say the obvious?? BEER, of course.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,139 Times in 700 Posts

I go with beans and rice. In equal amounts because I haven't learned of the actual preferred ratio. After those, my preferred items to augment beans and rice are probably tomatoes and onions.

Beans, rice, tomatoes, and onions, when mixed into a meal, can sustain us and remain palatable for a long time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gallon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Prepared

I have adopted the premis of "Store what you eat, eat what you store". It is possible to add a little extra of those foods you eat regularly to form the basis of your LTS.

In my case, when I'm buying tinned tuna I buy it by the case on sale. I buy my pasta the same way. My family enjoys rice, so rice is a staple for us.

To me there's no point of buying something for storage if it's not part of your existing diet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fwilliam1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Watching and Learning

Something tasty that you don't mind eating... for a LONG time... over and over and over again....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tkd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Target Shooter

I buy a lot of canned meat as we are big meat eaters. Every time I go to our Family Dollar, I buy a couple of canned hams and every can of barbecue chicken they have. In fact, I just got 3 hams and 12 cans of the chicken about an hour ago.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PaulaMM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Prepared

Wheat. You can grind it, boil it and sprout it. It's not the perfect protein but you would be able to survive. I also like the canned chili and beer suggestions. It would sure make the wheat taste better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,820 Times in 1,440 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

We focused mainly on wheat,rice and beans. We add stuff every day. But when we made our initial "food stores" that is what we started with. We are currently focusing on oils, canned goods and spices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,454 Posts

The one you haven't stocked yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Survivalguy72 For This Useful Post: