Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Prepper in Training

Default Wood Burning Stoves

Advertise Here

I found a great deal on a used wood burning stove. Wood buring stoves and fireplaces are not allowed in my area due to pollution, etc. However my intention is to purchase this for emergency heating if the SHTF. I am just going to put it into storage if needed. I do have fire wood which caused the eyebrows of the neighbors to raise.... I would get all of the fittings, mounting hardware etc. ready and store that as well, just in case.

The guy selling it says it is a 1978 cast iron but couldn't remember the manufacturer.

Any input regarding what to look for, what to stay away from or other tid-bits of information that might be helpful???

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,021 Posts

The only comment I have is, it takes a lot of time to set them up, and if you have a SHTF situation and your stove is in storage, good luck with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Prepper in Training

Storage = my basement. I would pre-install it, just not use it. If the SHTF no one is going to care about HOA regulations regarding wood burning stoves.... So I'm not worried about the install or set up. Everything will be "in-place".

I'm more interested in peoples experiences with particular brands or types of stoves. For instance "stay away from anything pre-1980 because..... " etc...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Old Hounds Smell Good

Thanked 2,215 Times in 717 Posts

They don't allow wood stoves in Montana because of pollution? Or is that a town ordnance. I'm really surprised to hear of a place known for such bitter cold not permitting any off grid heating at all like a fireplace or wood stove. What a huge hazard that would be to have no alternate to electric or gas.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChristyACB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 893 Posts

Basically just look for a snug fitting door and a couple adjustment knobs on the front to control air intake. A larger firebox is not always a good thing, since it just makes it more hungry for wood. Even a small one can heat a large area.
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Prepper in Training

Homes built after a certain year and in some private communities - yes, no wood burning stoves/fireplaces allowed. It is a city thing, not a state initiative. Our HOA does not permit wood burning stoves. It is a shame but the other bennefits out weigh this issue...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Recent Blog:
I told you so!

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,167 Posts

If it is cast iron it might be a Franklin wood stove, they are not airtight I would stay away from them, a good heavy steel air tight is best. JT
The Following User Says Thank You to wasniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Prepper in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasniper View Post
If it is cast iron it might be a Franklin wood stove, they are not airtight I would stay away from them, a good heavy steel air tight is best. JT
Perfect, this is exactly the type of information I am looking for - thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Prepper in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
Basically just look for a snug fitting door and a couple adjustment knobs on the front to control air intake. A larger firebox is not always a good thing, since it just makes it more hungry for wood. Even a small one can heat a large area.
Excellent point - thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,107 Times in 292 Posts

You may also look for one with a Catalytic Converter. In the research I have been doing it seems this cuts down on the smell considerably. There is still going to be some and the less distance it goes the less people you are going to have to worry about know you have heat when they don’t. I also believe the type of wood you have stocked will make a difference also. You are also going to have to be wary of creosote buildup if you are doing a low burn.
Like was pointed out trying to put one in while all you know what is breaking loose may not be the best idea.
I have been struggling with this since I am in a small town and if no one has power they are not going to be able to have heat either. The smell of a fireplace is going to carry for blocks and you are going to be surrounded.
So far I am working on a multi layer approach. We start out with the regular furnace. I have a backup garage heater that requires no electricity, That way we have heat as long as the gas is still on, Then I have kerosene heat for when the gas goes off. Then once the Kerosene gets low I am putting in a wood burner in the next month or so as a final stage. I am going to try and mask it with a out door kitchen that will have a fire place and light it while the other is heating the house so if they walk by and don’t look too close all they will see is us standing outside by the fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slats For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Prepper in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
You may also look for one with a Catalytic Converter. In the research I have been doing it seems this cuts down on the smell considerably. There is still going to be some and the less distance it goes the less people you are going to have to worry about know you have heat when they donít. I also believe the type of wood you have stocked will make a difference also. You are also going to have to be wary of creosote buildup if you are doing a low burn.
Like was pointed out trying to put one in while all you know what is breaking loose may not be the best idea.
I have been struggling with this since I am in a small town and if no one has power they are not going to be able to have heat either. The smell of a fireplace is going to carry for blocks and you are going to be surrounded.
So far I am working on a multi layer approach. We start out with the regular furnace. I have a backup garage heater that requires no electricity, That way we have heat as long as the gas is still on, Then I have kerosene heat for when the gas goes off. Then once the Kerosene gets low I am putting in a wood burner in the next month or so as a final stage. I am going to try and mask it with a out door kitchen that will have a fire place and light it while the other is heating the house so if they walk by and donít look too close all they will see is us standing outside by the fire.
I agree with all your points and concerns. The thought of the smell/smoke crossed my mind too. The only hope is when it is negative 10 out those who are still here probably have some heat source of their own, but you never know..... Certainly a play-it-by-ear scenario!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM
dog bites...owner shoots!

Check out my wood burning stove with an oven...brand new! I found two of these on Ebay! bought both of them! I remember my grandmother used to cook on one of these!

By mm30004 at 2010-06-29
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1dirtyducker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,664 Posts

nice find, what did you pay if I may ask
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
dog bites...owner shoots!

paid $1300 for two with free freight...they were an odd color and the fellow said he had them for awhile so he cut me a deal. He normally charges about $900 each for the plain jane models like this! He had some that were up about $2400 that were real nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1dirtyducker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,826 Times in 1,441 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

We have both a wood stove for heat and a wood stove for cooking.

The heat stove is
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6349

The cook stove is
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Burning-Coo...item33683c7967

The cook stove has gone up in price by $100+ since we got ours last year.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,352 Times in 2,909 Posts

If you live in such close proximity to others that there is an ordnance on pollution, you will likely have much bigger things to worry about than a wood stove post SHTF. The very smoke from your stove will be a beacon that screams "HERE IS WARMTH AND MAYBE FOOD"!

Your location is a poor choice for bad times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM

I put an ad on Craigs List stating I was looking for a wood burning stove (for a prep) and I have been contacted about 3 of them, all not being used with a small amount of surface rust. The most expensive one was 75 bucks, I bought one in the town I live in for $20!
P.S.-I was able to score a nice working upright freezer for the garage yesterday for $20, Craigs List rules!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cycledawg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 PM

If you want a heat source from wood, and you cannot use a cast iron wood stove, I have a homemade woodgas stove that can burn wood pellets, or solid wood with no smoke whatsoever.

It took me about twenty minutes to make it out of an old discarded propane tank. I am a teacher, and the students here have been making their own for a couple of years.

I have cooked whole chickens over it, and also used it as a fire pit. It weighs little, so easy to put away and take out. It is not a fir pit. It boils the wood, turning it into a gas, and then burns the gas, for a completely smokeless odourless fire. Both smoke, creasote, and odour are there because it the wood is not burning efficiently enough. Aside from one or two minutes of odour from start up, there is not odour.

If you are interested, I can tell you more.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,107 Times in 292 Posts

I would like to hear more about this smokeless stove.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Prepper in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepony View Post
We have both a wood stove for heat and a wood stove for cooking.

The heat stove is
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6349

The cook stove is
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Burning-Coo...item33683c7967

The cook stove has gone up in price by $100+ since we got ours last year.
Thanks that heat stove looks exactly what I am looking for....