Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Renegade Redneck

Default BEST BOV Ever Isuzu Trooper 87-91

Advertise Here

I have weight it all out and the Trooper looks like the best bang for the buck!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 10,314 Times in 4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepared2Surviv View Post
will it survive a EMP?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556X45 View Post
will it survive a EMP?
Wouldn't count on it. Most everything made after 86 was fuel injected and computerized. Ill stick with my IH Scout
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Thanked 10,314 Times in 4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67lemans View Post
Wouldn't count on it. Most everything made after 86 was fuel injected and computerized. Ill stick with my IH Scout
yip that was my point if it cant it aint prefect
Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Prepared

Be careful,
Those things like to roll over a lot, if my memories correct. Kinda like the smaller Bronco did.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,389 Times in 873 Posts

Does it have a frame?
Does it have parts that can be replaced from any junk yard?
Does every auto parts place carry replacement, water pumps, alternators, starters, belts, ignition switches, sensors, electronic modules etc?
Can lockers and ring & pinion gears be easily obtained for it?
What is the wheel travel and what is the largest tire size that can be fitted without unsafe lifts or body butchery?
Can it drive out of everywhere that it drove into (Monteros can't, not certain about Troopers).
Is it well thought of by the local 4wd community?

EMP is so far down the list that I will ride a bicycle if it happens...
(if you are concerned about EMP pack away a points type distributor & ignition resistor, carburetor, fuel pump and intake manifold or adapter, along with the spare alternator/regulator, and home computer & radios that you already have stored.

Roll over is driver error; IMO, based on having seen many off road rollovers and flops (vehicles laid on their sides) involving many vehicles. I have also had several (3 out of 4) Firestone tires (and one Goodyear tire) blow out at different times and it never did more than make me pull to the shoulder and change them, especially on power steering equipped vehicles.

Enjoy!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,180 Posts

Those old 4 cylinder jeeps were the ultimate rides. Unfortunately they are expensive.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Revolution Is My Name

Quote:
Best BOV to me is a Bicycle or a horse. at first i thought you were talking about Blow-off Valves lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Enjoy the loss of gravity

I would be concerned about the availability of spare parts for a vehicle of that vintage. Isuzu really does not have a footprint in the U.S. anymore unless your buying a commercial truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrau72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Learning

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,956 Posts

Quote:
What real life experience have you had with this vehicle for you to make this claim?

What articles, research, proof, do you have have to back up this claim?

Because I disagree with you, the m35a2 is the best bang for the buck! I have a whole thread to prove it!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I would be interested as well how you came to that conclusion... The vehicle you mentioned is not prevalent in junkyards or auto parts stores for spare parts,,, they are definately not prevalent on the trails in the offroad world ( such as jeeps, toyotas, suzukis, and other domestic trucks)
I would be worried about parts availability, ability to build them and make them stronger for a low cost, etc...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Default Trooper

Isuzu is owned by GM 46%, mine has a GM transmission, Borg warner transfer case, 8" of ground clearance, (3) metal deflector plates, and it takes a 22 MM socket for the oil pan drain plug. My girlfriends 2002 Dodge Durango has plastic deflector plates and a rubber plug for the rear axle fluid and only (1) tie rod end has a grease zerk! Isuzu was the first car maker of japan, not honda, toyota, or nissan. As far as EMP attack I have seen simulated EMP attacks on several different car models and only a couple would not start and that was only for a few moments. As far a the "roll over issue: Isuzu took that to court and won it was a false claim. Mine came with a 10 year 120,000 mile warranty that covers everything down to the water pump, I have until the last day of this year and 72,000 miles left on that warranty
Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Target Shooter

My preacher had an old trooper. Well, he still has it but his boys are driving it at college. It looks like crap. But, that is a pretty awesome 4x4. He is a bit crazy and loves to fly fish. He found some river on a mountain someplace. He decided when he was done to drive the trooper down the mountain on a dry creek bed. The other guy that was with him told me the story. Apparently the terrain and grade were really pretty dangerous but, the old trooper did it and was no worse for wear. In fact, that was like 10 years ago and that trooper is still going.

I had another buddy that had a trooper and accidentally drove it down a real steep embankment coming out of a driveway. He said it went down like 30 feet. He figured that he was screwed and would need a wrecker. He told me that he put it in 4 wheel drive and it climbed right back out.

I can tell you that I had a 1980 Toyota FJ60 Landcruizer. For off road capability I would rather have a trooper. The Landcruizer was a heavy pig. It was the worst off road vehicle I have ever driven on the sand at Fort Fisher. I had a 1979 AMC Jeep Grand Wagoneer with dyna axles from the factory that would run circles around the Toyota in snow or sand. The toyota did pretty well in mud and crossing rivers but, no better than the Jeep. My buddy had his trooper and it was slow as heck but, very capable off road.

If you get one of the old 4 cylinder troopers make sure you can replace a head gasket. It's gonna need one every few years. It's not a difficult job. Just time consuming. Most of the older one's are banged up but, cheap. I would imagine that parts aren't that hard to find. lord knows they sold a blue million of those things.

I went to the NAPA website and checked using a 1990 Trooper II as an example. They appear to have plenty of parts available for that vehicle.

Last edited by falconbrother; 06-03-2011 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Learning

a deuce can also be a submarine...

There are also several modern examples of deuce driving through lakes, I doubt a Trooper could do that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Learning

Also, forgot to ask...does the Trooper have a multi-fuel engine that will burn anytype of flammable liquid to get your truck where you need to go?

If it doesn't it isn't the best BOV ever.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM

The other thing you may want to remember is that you can't count on autoparts stores when things go bad, you will have to pirate parts off vehicles that are stranded and left on the roads,,, just don't know how many troopers you will find laying around,,, I know up my way in the rockies we don't see many of them around,,, on the street or in the junk yards!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 AM

havoc1969 is right, I too live in the Rockies and I hardly ever see Isuzu Troopers, parts availability is important. I have an 86 Yota 4wd 5 speed truck with the almost bombproof 22r engine. I see old Toyota 22r trucks and 22r 4runners whenever and wherever I drive. 22r's are numerous.When I lived in Georgia they were numerous there too, but I never saw many Isuzus there. I wouldn't have a vehicle that parts would be hard to find for. My weber carb has a manual choke and my fuel pump is mechanical too. I've got 15" clearance underneath too. I don't see any future engine problems for a long time as I had a new 22r engine put in in 2009. Older 4wd Toyota trucks are limitless. Parts will be around for many many years just because there are so many nationwide. I know where 4 old ones are right now all within 3 miles of me. They're just so famous for their reliability and so many people have them.

Watch this >

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colorado MT Retreat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 AM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 7,718 Times in 2,939 Posts

Quote:
Good luck with that pick.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Up here in Wyoming I see alot of toyota trucks and 4 runners, as Colorado MT Retreat stated, 22r and 22re motors (re's are fuel injected, r's are carbed)... I also see alot of jeeps, specifically cj's, wranglers, and cherokees. Every vehicle has it's strengths and weakness's. I believe anyone into survival and self preservation owes it to themselves to get to know their vehicle and at the very least be able to do their own maintenance and some vehicle repairs...

I go offroad both recreationally and also in competition,,, the two most prevelant vehicles for I have observed over the last 25 plus years I have been driving for reliability, parts supply (both stock and aftermarket) are the ones I mentioned above.
The Following User Says Thank You to havoc1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 AM

I personally would go either for a Land Rover Defender (130 or 110) or Hummer H1. I prefer Land Rovers but thats just my preference. And in any case stack up on spare parts and learn to make the necessary repairs. I mean you're going to be using the vehicle to go off road and away from **** so I doubt you'll find a mechanic there. So have at least one replacement for anything prone to failure.

Also the more important thing I'd mention is that you need to have space for additional fuel (barrels) so I wouldn't worry about parts so much. Keep your BOV in perfect condition so when you need to go its 100%. If its failing to start with then its a **** vehicle anyway.

The Toyota in the video is a total Tali-wagon. All its missing is a .50 cal machine gun. LOL. But its a good vehicle I must say.