Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Default century arms FAL

Advertise Here

worth 4-5 bills? can you hunt with it?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Merchant

I'll take a stab at this. I have had several of Century Arms FALs over the years. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you have to tweak it. They had one commonly called a Unibrow reciever. It had a feed ramp like you would find on most rifles or pistols. Another type was the Widows peak. It had a feed ramp similar to the new M4s. The feedramp was grooved to enhance reliable feeding. I picked up a unibrow at a Gunshow last year. I feed it everything and it runs great with any thing I shove down its throat.
Several years ago, Century Arms was building FALs on Imbel recievers. This receiver is worth a few hundred by itself. Add the extra parts and you are in the price range. Look on the reciever to see where it was made. If it says R1A1, I belive it is Centurys own make.

Century guns are parts guns. If you have a chance to try it out first, that would really be good. Even if it hick ups, with a little tuning, you should be good to go.
You can hunt with it in most states. Check your local regs. You would have to block off the mag to keep the capacity with in the law for you area.

The FAL Forum is good place to search for answers. I am sure there are some folks here with some good experience with these as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

I have one that I had to tweak a little but it works good now. I will take it hunting this fall.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,776 Posts

That's not a bad price for a Century.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,167 Times in 459 Posts

I would pass on the century and save up for a DSA STG-58,,its twice the price but totally worth it,,,$500 bucks for a gun that MIGHT work,,,$1000 for a gun that will always work plus DSA warranty....
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Recent Blog:
I told you so!

Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,330 Posts

I have one with a suit scope has worked great from day one, and it cost a lot more than that. JT
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Merchant

Most cost a lot more than $400 to $500. I believe a parts kit with out a reciever is running close to $400 and maybe more if you can find a complete one. Check out Centurys website and see if they even offer a parts kit anymore.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

From what I've heard of Century builds, you have a 50/50 shot of getting a good one. It's probably better than that but where there's smoke there's definitely fire. Just something to keep in mind.

I couldn't imagine lugging one out to hunt with it, but I'm no hunter. I'm spoiled with my SBR AR and feel like my FAL weighs a ton in comparison.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,420 Times in 31,923 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I also would pass on the Century. There are as many bad ones out there as good ones, if not more. My first FAL was a Century and had feed issues. Years later I had a customer ask about getting a budget FAL and I told him that Century would have had to make better ones by then or nobody would buy them. So he bought one and it was a lemon too. It's just not worth it.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM

After a year or so of looking into Century, it seems the performance issues (as a whole, this does not affect your rifle), stem from two really bad batches.

They made a crappy run of FAL rifles and they made a baaaaaaaaaaaaad (since this is most of what I see on the interwebs) run of the Polish Tantals in 5.45.

My understanding is the FALs were bad, but were bad in a Pre-Internet way. The AK-74s they put out were bad in a post-internet way, meaning everyone and his brother who got one, or read about one, or read a post about one was free to throw an opinion against the wall.

I'm leery about the CAI stuff, but I can almost justify their AK-74 by thinking if I don't like one or two, I can give them to my brother for his kids... They get the bang-boom equivalent of an X-Box and accessories and they get to go out in the horrible sun...

Overall tho, their entry level AKs seem to be good for just that... Entry level.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,001 Times in 6,731 Posts

My personal opinion, if you want a FN/FAL, spend the money and get a good one.

Sure the century arms fal is cheaper then the DS Arms SA58, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Hunter

Century arms is a swing or a miss. If you can spend 4-5 bills on it, get it. You can throw $200 into it and have a rifle that will be a "better" rifle than a DSA. Hopfully it runs, buy 100 rounds of ammo and tell the guy if you buy it you want to do a 100 round test on it.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Prepared

First check out the Falfiles forums, Fal's are our main interest.

If a Century FAL is built on an Imbel receiver it's going to run,either straight outa' the box or with very little effort.

Century FAL's built on Century's receiver or a (shudder) Hesse receiver are going to be a 50-50 tossup. They OFTEN require work to run right. There are a very few Century's with Argentine receivers, These work great.

Spending the money for a DSA is not a guarantee either. A good friend of mine has one that refuses to run correctly after 2 trips back to DSA's warranty department.

All FAL's are parts guns unless you run across one of the Springfield branded Imbel rifles or one of the very few factory built FN or Argentine FAL's imported several years back.

Now, There is absolutely nothing wrong with a FAL built from parts,I've got 9 of them and they all work perfectly.

Oh, My first FAL that I got back in the pre-internet days before I'd ever heard of them was a Century with an Imbel receiver. It's never missed a beat through all these years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmokeEater2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 AM

century is hit or miss, depends if the monkey that built it was intoxicated or not, but not a bad price, spend the extra few hundred and get an enterprise or DSA
Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,332 Times in 15,613 Posts

A s/n: with UE or AD is English or Aussy respectfully. there worth4-5 alone as parts, their also Inch pattern. a lot of CIA rifles are Inch pattern. Imbel are great recievers, should say on back right side of upper.( mine was lightly xxxx out thou, but readable)
R1a1 rifles are Rody or S. African their as good as Inch,but might be Inch & metric. C1A1 is Canada, India rifles are rare. Century arms used all of these kits to build rifles. parts are everywhere. Sarco has complete new kits for under $600.
FN-FAL is a BELGUIM rifle that has been copied by more countries than I can remember. used on every continent
I would buy a CIA fal or L1A1 for that price for parts alone in good shape. Most problems are springs, a kit of springs is about $30. Like the AK it takes a lot of abuse to put it out of action, has a adjustable gas system. It is heavy,It is tuff, It was the prefered weapon of the free world for a long time,

CIA gets a lot of crap it dont deserve, a lot of their problems are gone and you can spend $1000 or more on a custom AK and still have a P.O.S. that Century never touched.
I have only seen One bad build from Century out of Dozens and I bought it and fixed it in two hours with a hammer and a file.Century has armed most of America in the last 20 years, Century is why 90% of people have modern military arms.

I Love the FAL, it is superior to anything out there as far as reliabilty!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,033 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post

All FAL's are parts guns unless you run across one of the Springfield branded Imbel rifles or one of the very few factory built FN or Argentine FAL's imported several years back.
One of the factory few, thank you very much
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,264 Times in 3,966 Posts

Just my personel thought. If it was a good centery woulnd he want more for it? People who have them have already had all there frinds giving them problems about it and if it worked he would have more of a price. Being that price he knows theres issues he hasnt fixed. Also most of the FN gunsmiths wont even work on them anymore becasue of all the problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Default FN FAL Imbel Century Myths

Agree with most but need to make a quick distinction on a FN FAL original brazilian factory built with an imbel receiver that was IMPORTED by CAI verses a FN FAL put together by CAI and an US made Century receiver. Rifle with imbel reciever imported by CAI is my top choice and most sought after FAL and top notch quality. My personal experience after reading all the raves about a DS Arms FAL, which I was told is supposed to be the best FAL currently built, so I decided to buy one and drove 2 hours to a gun shop that had it. I finally held up this DSA built FAL in my hands and my first impression was the kind of metal, fit and finish just turned me off. The material and workmanship just don't compare to the original Imbel receiver imported by CAI, which I believe is much higher grade and quality. I conclude all those DS Arms raves turned out to be just another marketing hype that doesn't all necessarily make it the best FAL currently built in the US. If you are in the market for a FAL, don't just jump in and pick up a DSA, which I am sure will shoot great on functionality but do yourself a favor -- shop around to find any original factory FAL with Imbel receiver imported by CAI, Springfield, or otherwise. Additionally, there are no more Imbel receivers for import, so the price will probably go up from here.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,420 Times in 31,923 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
Agree with most but need to make a quick distinction on a FN FAL original brazilian factory built with an imbel receiver that was IMPORTED by CAI verses a FN FAL put together by CAI and an US made Century receiver. Rifle with imbel reciever imported by CAI is my top choice and most sought after FAL and top notch quality. My personal experience after reading all the raves about a DS Arms FAL, which I was told is supposed to be the best FAL currently built, so I decided to buy one and drove 2 hours to a gun shop that had it. I finally held up this DSA built FAL in my hands and my first impression was the kind of metal, fit and finish just turned me off. The material and workmanship just don't compare to the original Imbel receiver imported by CAI, which I believe is much higher grade and quality. I conclude all those DS Arms raves turned out to be just another marketing hype that doesn't all necessarily make it the best FAL currently built in the US. If you are in the market for a FAL, don't just jump in and pick up a DSA, which I am sure will shoot great on functionality but do yourself a favor -- shop around to find any original factory FAL with Imbel receiver imported by CAI, Springfield, or otherwise. Additionally, there are no more Imbel receivers for import, so the price will probably go up from here.
Maybe we're talking different guns. But I have a CAI with the Imbel receiver built on a Canadian parts kit and it's pure junk. That particular incarnation was widely known to be problematic, but I took my chances anyway since it was before DSA had started making theirs. Some worked, and some didn't. There was even a shop back then that had set up a service to correct the common problems with that model.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Hunter

I'm saving up for a FAL, lots of good info.

Generally speaking, should I be looking for an Imbel reciever if I'm not buying one from the more respected assemblers?