Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Manmade and Natural Disasters
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Advertise Here

Yeah and if you get out fairly quickly and dont need all that stuff make sure you have a flashing arrow sign and cash register because you could open up a mini-Walmart!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cycledawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm keeping my eye on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post

-ventilation: I can remove the door if necessary, I was thinking even if we can't get out of that area due to debris we'd at least have some ventilation (could be wrong though)
Be careful using open flames unless you are sure you have good ventilation. Does the property have a gas line that could rupture? Might be a consideration if there is one close to your shelter.

Nice room. I liked the high shelves and fold down bunk suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecilop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM

House does not have gas so that isn't an issue. For the restroom we have two 5 gallon buckets, 35 lbs. of kitty litter, and the odor protection trash bags. Urine can go into the empty water bottles (guess the wife would need a funnel or something). The basement is walkout so hopefully flooding won't be an issue. There is already an AM/FM/weather radio in there.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 1,590 Times in 774 Posts

Nice setup. But it will be a tomb if you don't get some kind of air ventilation. Your family is relying on you for protection. So plan for worst case, like you will have to be down there until someone else rescues you. Have an emergency CB radio, just in case, and air ventilation. You can do this with simple 4" hot water heater venting. Have the intake close to the floor and the exhaust up high, and as high as you can manage it outside the room. Expect a natural heat source, the sun, to heat the pipe to create a draft. A forced fan would be best, but plan for the worst, a week down there with no power and waiting for someone to stumble across you.
But, its a great start.
BTW I'm a builder, with fire & rescue background.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Hiker

Really nice looking shelter. What about some eye bolt anchors in the wall so you could put up a hammock if you needed extra sleeping space? Do you have a means to track the storm from inside? I have a wireless air card for my laptop so if the local cell towers don't all get knocked out I have access to radar, text messages, email and voip telephone. My wireless card (modem) has an external antenna port and with the external antenna connected I can double the receiving range from the cell towers. Depending how far you are from a tower you might not be able to receive a good signal in the bunker but you could run the external antenna up the air vent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Packitup For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 PM
This is a great survival

Thanked 1,050 Times in 314 Posts

thats a nice setup, we made one like that in the basement of my parents house when we built it, but ours is 8 ft wide and 30 ft long. one suggestion is mabey putting a deep cycle 12v battery or 2 in it, and a cb radio. If the power is gone due to a storm you can use the cb radio to make contact on the emergency channel 9 ( or any other channel ) and even a 12 v automoblie scanner that has police, fire and other emergency frequencies. Here is a couple pics of ours when we started ....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...DER525/004.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...DER525/003.jpg

and i know the wall is wet in the pic, but its from the concrete we poured on the top for the garage floor. We have never had a drop of water in it since. Our shelter is under the garage floor, accessible from the basement and hidden behind a false wall now. Its a great peace of mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadow61 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
Should there be a nasty storm, where the house is destroyed, I could see a fair amount of water in the basement. I'd also suggest getting racks built that can double as bunk beds. That way you could get off the floor if there is issues with water/flooding. Another idea could be anchors in the walls to support a couple hammocks.
or put hooks in the wall so you can just clip hammocs there like ship berths that way you can take em down and stoe em when not in use
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,790 Times in 983 Posts

Nice setup. I'm sure you will be adding improvements as you go. A couple 3 ton bottle jacks and some kind of communication gear would be nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Organ Donor

Thanked 1,033 Times in 325 Posts

I would add a whistle and/or one of those air horn things attached to a compressed air can. Something to alert rescuers.

McLOVIN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McLovin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Trapper

awesome setup, i would love something like that but almost no homes in tucson have basements, ive never had one and only seen 1 or 2 homes that have them. Id definitely try and think of some way to ventilate if u needed too, but other than that just some books and stuff would help a ton if u were stuck in the room for a while, hopefully u never are but great way to be prepped especially if ur in a tornado area
The Following User Says Thank You to AZSrvr For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,358 Times in 1,577 Posts

Nice set up. Have to tell you though. Those thin foam sleeping mats will not help much if at all on that hard floor. Ok for kids, but Adults will find sleep hard to come by.
The Following User Says Thank You to seawind For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Nice, your on the right track!
The Following User Says Thank You to Finish it For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 PM

the 2 Remingtons make it 10 times better
The Following User Says Thank You to luckystrike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Watching, Waiting....

Thanked 2,507 Times in 830 Posts

Megaphone.

Screaming may not be loud enough for rescue. Cheap one from Radio shack with alarm would work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Still here. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Watching, Waiting....

Thanked 2,507 Times in 830 Posts

You failed to mention the cases of Federal, Speer, American Eagle 9mm, and the multiple case of wolf ammo......I think you are more vested than you let on. Good move sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to Still here. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Target Shooter

Is there any way to add an alternate escape route like a tunnel or hatch so that you do not have to wait to be dug out?
The Following User Says Thank You to AZBrowncoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
Is there any way to add an alternate escape route like a tunnel or hatch so that you do not have to wait to be dug out?
Anything is possible, that however is not in my budget.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still here. View Post
You failed to mention the cases of Federal, Speer, American Eagle 9mm, and the multiple case of wolf ammo......I think you are more vested than you let on. Good move sir.
Oh that? That's just some plinking ammo I was keeping in there while I cleaned out the rest of the basement.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,068 Times in 260 Posts

Have you seen those large rubber bands/bars used to exercise? http://www.thera-band.com/ I'm used to being active and walking every day, and when we got snowbound for 4 days by the third day I was so fidgety I was driving my husband crazy walking from room to room just to move around. These little things don't take up much space and they are fun to use in a group as well as getting your circulation going and keeping some muscle tone. I'm sure you could find a variation cheaper but the site gives the main idea.

*bows in your general direction * That is a great shelter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rain23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Trapper

I want to build something like this in my basement, but I intend to keep all my firearms secured inside it since if there were to be a tornado one of the last things I'd want is for my firearms being tossed about. I was just going to use cement block but do the roof much the same and tie everything together with rebar. We'll have to see how this summer goes before any major construction project like that, but this gives me some great ideas.

Thanks for the post and good luck this tornado season.
The Following User Says Thank You to millertyme For This Useful Post: