Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Quick Clot vs. Horse Wound Powder???

Advertise Here

I recently delved into the area of veterinary medicines/gear that could theoretically be used on a human patient in a survival situation. I'm currently reading Garnar Benson's "Survivalist's Medicine Chest". I have "Where There Is No Doctor", "Where There Is No Dentist" and "Ditch Medicine" on order. I've been doing some fine print comparison on the veterinary antibiotics, wound treatments, etc. at the local farm supply stores with that aid of my Paramedic friend whom has a degree in expeditionary medicine. Anyways, I came across various wound powders for horses. One such product is called "Wonder Dust". My question is, how does this stuff differ from a product like Quick-Clot or Celox (other than being a fraction of the price)?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tactical_N_Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Recent Blog:
I told you so!

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,357 Posts

I am not sure but I know that most of the over counter meds for animals are pure enough for humans, the powder you describe most likely the same as celox I think I will check it out at the local feed store,if you find out more please post it.JT
Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Trust but verify

Thinking out of the box and great question? I hope experts in these fields respond to you as I am also interested.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Experiment 626

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,084 Posts

Great post, also waiting for answers from those who know!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM

MY Paramedic buddy says that it definitely won't hurt you to use it. I guess my question is more geared towards the comparable effectiveness of the two products. Side note, I found "horse gauze" for $1.69 (5 yards long, 4" wide). The EXACT same gauze were around four bucks at CVS, just in a different "human oriented" package.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical_N_Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Prepared

I also use Cayon powder
Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Here is a quote from http://www.drugs.com/vet/wonder-dust-wound-powder.html
I bolded my area of concern.
I would not want to use it on humans except in extreme circumstances.

WONDER DUST™ is a dressing powder and blood coagulant for use on certain types of wounds, cuts and abrasions. Formulated for use on horses and show stock. A caustic and drying agent for slow-healing lesions and excessive granulated tissue (proud flesh). Also for use on other livestock as a blood-stop powder after castrating, docking or dehorning. It contains a deodorant to remove objectionable odors from foul or infected wounds.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 PM

From my not so fond memories of Quick-Clot, I wouldn't be using THAT except in an extreme circumstance either, haha. I'm not sure about the newer stuff but the first gen. stuff BURNED!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Tough as Woodpecker Lips

I've been using vet-grade meds for years with no complications. My equestrian friend/RN turned me onto Wonder Dust about 8 months ago when I was teaching her about some of the stuff in my EDC med bag. I explained what it did and she said "Oh...like Wonder Dust, but for people?" I then had to admit my ignorance and became the student. I've seen a few wounds dressed and treated with WD and they all came out great. I haven't used Wonder Dust on myself YET, but have some on hand for the next time I hack myself up.

Like any other sort of wound, the most important thing is to try to keep it as clean as possible. With all of that being said, were I to ever find myself in a situation where someone was bleeding profusely and all I had was Wonder Dust, you can bet your a$$ I'd use it.

Another thing - Apparently, the Wonder Dust doesn't have as much of a reaction with the blood that leads to burns like some of the older Quick Clot type products have been known to do. Again, I haven't seen it used first hand and I haven't figured out how to ask the horses if it burned...

Seriously though - for anyone who likes to think outside the box and take note of useful resources, your local feed store or Tractor Supply are veritable gold mines for folks like us. Excellent OP!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SQD5DRIVER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Native Cracker Cowhunter

Thanked 1,885 Times in 819 Posts

I've used Wonder Dust on myself numerous times and never saw a problem. As far as Quick Clot goes I'll take my chances of bleeding out before having that used on me again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to protector 6062 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,840 Times in 3,599 Posts

Interesting info!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector 6062 View Post
As far as Quick Clot goes I'll take my chances of bleeding out before having that used on me again.
I hear that brother.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tactical_N_Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Native Cracker Cowhunter

Thanked 1,885 Times in 819 Posts

I have owned cows and horses all my life. I used to be partners in a country western and feed store and ordered vet supplies for the store. Having also spent some time training horses I've been surprised how many horse and cow vet medications can be used by humans. If there are any vets on this site I would be very interested in any valuable insight they could give us. I hope this doesn't sound totally stupid but I even used a animal surture kit and a horse pain killer to sew up a cut on myself. Any vets here?? Is this a safe alternative????
The Following User Says Thank You to protector 6062 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,277 Times in 4,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
Here is a quote from http://www.drugs.com/vet/wonder-dust-wound-powder.html
I bolded my area of concern.
I would not want to use it on humans except in extreme circumstances.

WONDER DUST™ is a dressing powder and blood coagulant for use on certain types of wounds, cuts and abrasions. Formulated for use on horses and show stock. A caustic and drying agent for slow-healing lesions and excessive granulated tissue (proud flesh). Also for use on other livestock as a blood-stop powder after castrating, docking or dehorning. It contains a deodorant to remove objectionable odors from foul or infected wounds.
It has many of the same ingredients as Styptic Powder
Which is designed for use by people.....I would have no trouble using the wonder dust.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 PM

All of the suture kits that I have are "for veterinary use only" but are identical to the suture kits at the local "Urgent Care". The only difference... price. The vet use ones are a fraction of the cost. They're even sterile packaged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical_N_Practical For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Is back.

I have not heard of that stuff for horses, but it sounds similar to quick-stop. It is a powder used to stop the bleeding if you cut a cat or dogs nails too short. I think it contains iron oxide. what is does is dries and forms a layer over the wound, stops the bleeding and allows it to clot. I don't think it would work for major wounds, but you could use it on a small cut, instead of a bandage.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 23,701 Times in 8,098 Posts

Cornstarch and spiderwebs are two of the most natural clotters I know of. I have known people who have used vet remedies with no ill effects. My dad swears by horse liniment for migrane headaches. Not in the same class but I use hoof cream on my nails and I wash my quilts and cotton sweaters in horse shampoo.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,346 Times in 6,634 Posts

Here is my problem with powders and such, first while the do stop the bleeding it all has to scrubbed out of the wound for definitive/surgical treatment. So the KwikClot bandages are better in that respect, sure they hurt like hell but any heat producing agent is going to.

But in a pinch if it was all I had available I'd use it to save a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 PM

^^^That's really ALL it should be used for. Quikclot/hemoStat laced bandages are ok for expeditionary use, but the concentrated powder should only be used for lifesaving measures-and NEVER on a sucking chest wound or an open skull fracture.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Target Shooter

I have a real good friend that is a vet tech and runs an animal rescue shelter. They also have a part time vet that volunteers there one day a week or so, and they have a fully stocked clinic/OR. She self medicates when she gets sick with animal meds. Most of the time it works great. It's never made her worse. There was a time recently where she tried it but, it didn't work and she ended up going to the hospital and had IV fluids, etc.. Apparently she was too sick for the animal meds to deal with it or, maybe it was a human unique strain. At any rate, I have also done some reading about the use of animal meds, such as anti-biotics, on humans. There's actually quite a lot out there about it. Most things are OK. There are a few things I would avoid. If memory serves, swine meds do OK on humans if you get the dosage right. In fact, one study I read said that swine anti-biotic were more effective for bird flu, etc.. than Tamiflu. My guess is that Wonderdust wouldn't hurt you unless you misused it.

My next door neighbor got sick about twenty five years ago, had no insurance and very little money, so she went to the Southern States feed store and bought Equine anti-biotics. She estimated the dosage and took it, and got better. It's great living in the third world.