Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Libertarian

Thanked 1,455 Times in 699 Posts
Default Question concerning oxygen absorbers.

Advertise Here

I've got some left over 2000cc oxygen absorbers. Can I keep them in a small tightly lidded glass jar for future use in a 5 gallon bucket? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Yes as long as you move them there quickly, don't have them exposed to air any longer than necessary. The jar must have an airtight seal of course.

I get my entire stuff ready, see how many absorbers I will need, open mine take out what I need and immediately seal the package of absorbers back up with a food sealed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack711Evans For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Hiker

I vacuum sealed mine then stored them away, thats been a year and there still good to use when or if I get more food to use them for.
The Following User Says Thank You to RockinGLock For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,059 Times in 364 Posts

you can put them in a jar with a tight lid. like a mason jar, leave as little space as possible so use the smallest jar available.
or you can use a foodsealer and seal them up.

Last edited by getFOODnow; 05-26-2011 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: changed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getFOODnow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,830 Times in 32,496 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If they haven't been exposed for long, and the jar has an airtight seal, that'll work just fine. They are generally under rated as to their actual capacity, specifically to cover a little wastage during processing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
-- - --

Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,133 Posts

Like the others said - vacuum seal if possible if you aren't going to use them in the very near future. I stuff mine in jars while using but some heated in one of those jars and that tells me the lid wasn't a good seal.
The Following User Says Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getFOODnow View Post
you can put them in a jar with a tight lid. like a mason jar, leave as little space as possible so use the smallest jar available.
or you can use a foodsealer and seal them up.
This is what I do, when I open a pack I transfer all packs to a quart size mason jar, drop the packs I need into my bags, then pour rice into the jar to displace as much oxygen as possible. Then on with the lid (a used one -- no good for canning again, fine for vacuum) and off to the foodsaver for air evacuation.

I've had the little pink pills turn purple in the 5 minutes this took, then turn pink again as the leftover oxygen in the jar is used up by the...hmm...22,000cc's of oxygen absorbtion I have in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to keystone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,446 Posts

Ive never used O2 absorbers before but thinking of getting some storage equipment next month.

Is there a way to look at them and see whether theyre any good or not? What kind of 'life span' do they have. Presumably longer than the life of the stored food?

Just a few things I was curious of before I dove off into head-first expecting the wrong results.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone View Post
This is what I do, when I open a pack I transfer all packs to a quart size mason jar, drop the packs I need into my bags, then pour rice into the jar to displace as much oxygen as possible. Then on with the lid (a used one -- no good for canning again, fine for vacuum) and off to the foodsaver for air evacuation.

I've had the little pink pills turn purple in the 5 minutes this took, then turn pink again as the leftover oxygen in the jar is used up by the...hmm...22,000cc's of oxygen absorbtion I have in there.
They're going to heat up in the jar temporarily as they absorb the O2 that's in it. Then they shut down. Unless they remained heated, I wouldn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK75 View Post
Ive never used O2 absorbers before but thinking of getting some storage equipment next month.

Is there a way to look at them and see whether theyre any good or not? What kind of 'life span' do they have. Presumably longer than the life of the stored food?

Just a few things I was curious of before I dove off into head-first expecting the wrong results.
I've heard conflicting reports on their shelf life. The makers give them an expiration date, but that's probably to cover their own butt.

As for lasting longer than the food, they don't need to. Once the O2 is out, it remains out if you use the right storage medium and seal it properly. I doubt if an O2 absorber would restart years down the road if O2 started coming into the bag/can/jar, because they contain a small amount of moisture that they require to work and that would have been absorbed by the drier foods over time.

The easy rule to follow with food storage is to do it EXACTLY like the food storage companies are doing it. They're doing it right to start with and have laboratory tests to prove it. Don't go trying to reinvent the wheel by adding extra steps like vacuum sealing along with the O2 absorber, or adding dessicants and such. Or trying to use hand warmers instead of O2 absorbers, or mylar balloons instead of proper mylar bags.

You can add dessicants, but they have to be placed on the bottom of the bag, and the O2 absorber placed on the top of the food. Otherwise the dessicant will dry out the absorber before it has finished it's job. But people dive in without learning stuff like that first. The food storage companies don't add dessicants. So what does that tell us?

Food storage is too important to try to save a few cents by improvising. It's also too important to risk ruining it by using a nonstandard solution that "sounds logical to you". If the food storage companies are not doing it, then it does not need done, or it has a hidden drawback and some people aren't aware of.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,446 Posts

Thanks MikeK, thats exactly the reason I was asking. I could see my going Dr. Jekyl on storage and totally screwing it up.

LOL I can just see a 5 gal bucket exploding in my pantry because I tried to cram every storage technology known to man in there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK75 View Post
Thanks MikeK, thats exactly the reason I was asking. I could see my going Dr. Jekyl on storage and totally screwing it up.

LOL I can just see a 5 gal bucket exploding in my pantry because I tried to cram every storage technology known to man in there.
It was a hard lesson for me to learn too. I'm one of those people who can't resist trying to make improvements. But as I researched these "improvements" I learned of the downsides. Sometimes simpler is better, afterall.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts

With correct packing procedures spelled out endlessly on these forums and UTube videos and the packing system proven to work by the professionals ....... all kinds of people continue to skip simple and inexpensive parts of the packing procedures ...... and the misinformation that continously circulates and recirculates .....

"I don't need a mylar bag because I'm putting in a bucket."

"I don't need a food grade bucket because I'm using a mylar bag"

"A triangle 2 recycle symbol means food grade plastic"

"HDPE means food grade plastic"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,745 Times in 3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
With correct packing procedures spelled out endlessly on these forums and UTube videos and the packing system proven to work by the professionals ....... all kinds of people continue to skip simple and inexpensive parts of the packing procedures ...... and the misinformation that continously circulates and recirculates .....

"I don't need a mylar bag because I'm putting in a bucket."

"I don't need a food grade bucket because I'm using a mylar bag"

"A triangle 2 recycle symbol means food grade plastic"

"HDPE means food grade plastic"
Problem is; For every good video on youtube there's 3 poor ones.

Same can be said for packing instructions on different forums.

Trying to sort out the best way is often confusing for many.

Even looking to 'expert' advice seem contradictory at times.

Since packing food properly was new to me and important I looked everywhere. Even Lowdown3's video's got the #2 and triangle wrong saying that's food grade.

I have no problem with most of your quotes except the need for "I don't need a food grade bucket because I'm using a mylar bag". I know there could be other uses, post Mylar bags and the need for possible contact with food or water. But sans that they are fine as long as you do have the Mylar bags.

Same could be said for any food grade bucket used a second time and not cleaned and dried properly. (no abrasives and proper disinfection) HDPE, being a soft plastic, can be easily abraded and bacteria can form in those scratches. I've seen folks using old icing and pickle buckets and sometimes being given sometimes poor advice on how to clean them.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,399 Times in 579 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Since packing food properly was new to me and important I looked everywhere. Even Lowdown3's video's got the #2 and triangle wrong saying that's food grade.
Go back and re-watch, what I said was that that type of plastic was "generally considered food grade"

www.bucketpacking.com

You only have to go in to about :45 seconds to hear me say those exact words.

And it is.

I have YET to see in the (no BS) thousands of buckets that have went near or through my hands (not just my own in that number) ANY bucket SPECIFICALLY MARKED FROM THE FACTORY "FOOD GRADE."

New people have PLENTY of reasons to NOT do anything. Apathy is one of the biggest problems in what we do. When we add to the problem with ridiculous arguments about things like "hand warmers, sheetrock dust, lime" and related bull****e, ALL WE ARE DOING IS GIVING NEW PEOPLE REASONS TO NOT GET IT DONE.

It's way too late in the game to sit on your hands.

In 12-13 years of eating storage food regularly, not a damn bit of which came out of a MARKED FROM THE FACTORY "FOOD GRADE" BUCKET (cause I've never seen one marked in that manner), we have NEVER experienced any health problems.

New people need reasons to get off their butts and get it done, not reasons to do endless "research" which for many means NEVER getting it done. That's not to sound rude to anyone, that's just the fact of the matter. I interact with a LOT of like minded people and I know the confusion, I've seen the apathy and sitting on hands, it's for real. We should not add to it....

Lowdown3/Robert Henry
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lowdown3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,308 Posts

Since O2 absorbers usually come many to a packet, I keep them cool in the fridge in a mason jar that has been vac sealed. When needed I set up my bags, I take out what I need, throw them in the bags and immediately reseal the mason jar with the vac sealer. I then use the hair straightener on the bags. Works well for me.
The cooling in the fridge gives me extra time with the O2 absorbers. Like most chemical reactions, cooling slows the process. Probably not necessary but it makes me feel better.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,535 Times in 7,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I've heard conflicting reports on their shelf life. The makers give them an expiration date, but that's probably to cover their own butt.
I've read that the plastic bags they come in won't remain proof against oxygen infiltration indefinitely.

I recently bought a batch of O2 absorbers in anticipation of future storage. I sealed the sealed bag in mylar.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Prepared

Good stff in this thread