Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,299 Times in 1,585 Posts
Exclamation Corn masa shelf-life

Advertise Here

When i was a kid visiting my grandparents for the weekends, my grandma used to make us homemade traditional Polenta. I recently re-discovered the dish and thought i'd share this excellent prep food with the members here.

I was recently at the local SUPER Walmart and noticed they were selling 25lb bags of corn masa (de maíz) for $13! The good part about corn masa is its almost unlimited use in cooking. It's perfect for making tortillas, and you can also use it to make tamales, enchiladas, sopes, huaraches, quesadillas, gorditas, empañadas, flautas, Fritos, tortilla chips and many other Mexican and Central and South American dishes▬most of which are my personal favorite foods.. As well as corn muffins, grits and corn cakes. MMmmmm!!

The negative part about corn masa is that long-term storage time slightly affects the stability of of both vitamins and minerals. I ASSume it would remain stable longer if properly stored using o2 absorbers in 5-gal pails..

Anybody else stocking up on corn masa? How are ya storing it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,299 Times in 1,585 Posts
Question

Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Sorry, Filthy, nope!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM

I keep my masa in the freezer. I don't use it very often and it takes me a long time to finish a bag.
The Following User Says Thank You to soo-girl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Target Shooter

I'd be interested in knowing as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Antiacus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 11,072 Times in 3,996 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I used to, but I just found ground wheat to be much cheaper and we cook with it more frequently because I can get it to rise without much work. I still have probably 30 pounds put away in a 5 g with seal lid and o2's, still tastes great.

I get ground wheat at the Indian stores for 6$ for a bag that weighs 20 pounds. Got an awful lot of that stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,270 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
The negative part about corn masa is that long-term storage time slightly affects the stability of of both vitamins and minerals. I ASSume it would remain stable longer if properly stored using o2 absorbers in 5-gal pails..

Anybody else stocking up on corn masa? How are ya storing it?
Up here in the corn belt, a 50 pound sack of corn is about $8.75. I would store that the same way as wheat berries, in mylar with O2. Use the same grinder as with wheat berries. Whole oat grain is about the same price. Am looking into a source for rye, but may need to find a specialty farmer for that.

Agreed that corn is great and universally useful.

Didn't the pioneers in the east have a bread made with wheat and corn? Something called anadama or some such? It worked for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to gallon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 551 Posts

Just discussed this in length on another post recently. I do not make polenta from corn masa but I do use masa for tortillas. Masa is corn soaked in a lime water solution then dried and ground into a four. When I make polenta I use corn meal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Prepared

I use very large Ammo cans, Mylar bags, with O2.......we have Tortilla mix stored the same way. Both are very, very useful as tortillas only need water and a hot rock to make.
The Following User Says Thank You to SigDude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,760 Times in 3,378 Posts

I keep some, but not a lot. Mylar and O2 absorbers.

I figure it's much like cornmeal for storage and keeps a long time if properly stored.
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cgi-bin...ilename=79.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
I keep some, but not a lot. Mylar and O2 absorbers.

I figure it's much like cornmeal for storage and keeps a long time if properly stored.
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cgi-bin...ilename=79.pdf
I think masa is a whole grain product. Most commercial cornmeal is refined and has had the oily germ removed (which is why it keeps so well - kind of like white flour). This is why I keep my masa in the freezer, along with my whole grain cornmeal. It is possible, though, that processing the corn with the lime might act as a preservative.
The Following User Says Thank You to soo-girl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soo-girl View Post
I think masa is a whole grain product. Most commercial cornmeal is refined and has had the oily germ removed (which is why it keeps so well - kind of like white flour). This is why I keep my masa in the freezer, along with my whole grain cornmeal. It is possible, though, that processing the corn with the lime might act as a preservative.
What I've got is ground up and white. Don't see the whole grain treated with Lye around this part of the country.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Corn_Masa
Masa is finely ground nixtamal (corn treated with either slaked lime or lye, in a process called nixtamalization). It is not to be confused with cornstarch or cornmeal.

Corn masa is used to make corn tortillas and tamales. Like cornstarch, it can be used to thicken sauces.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,332 Times in 2,163 Posts

I'd like to try making my own hominy sometime with lye. I guess you can also do it with baking soda, which would be safer for handling. Isn't masa just hominy dried and ground up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallon View Post
Up here in the corn belt, a 50 pound sack of corn is about $8.75. I would store that the same way as wheat berries, in mylar with O2. Use the same grinder as with wheat berries. Whole oat grain is about the same price. Am looking into a source for rye, but may need to find a specialty farmer for that.

Agreed that corn is great and universally useful.

Didn't the pioneers in the east have a bread made with wheat and corn? Something called anadama or some such? It worked for them.
From what I've read whole oats can't be consumed by humans unless dehulled. How do you process it so it can be eaten by humans? Grinding it up won't remove the hulls.

For oats I usually just buy the big bags of the old fashioned type from Quaker and put it up in Mylar with O2 absorbers.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
What I've got is ground up and white.
Yeah, my masa is fairly white, too. My corn flour is actually more yellow. My whole grain cornmeal is a deeper yellow with brown bits throughout. Yes, this is what I am doing this morning ... pulling my corn products from the freezer and comparing them. What a gripping life I do lead.

I wonder if you can buy masa that is actually whole grain? I've looked around online and can't really find anything conclusive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soo-girl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
From what I've read whole oats can't be consumed by humans unless dehulled. How do you process it so it can be eaten by humans? Grinding it up won't remove the hulls.

For oats I usually just buy the big bags of the old fashioned type from Quaker and put it up in Mylar with O2 absorbers.
Good question. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't worked that out. Best to figure it out before I get too many. I'll post here if I get a good answer.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Custom User Title Member

Quote:
Good question. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't worked that out. Best to figure it out before I get too many. I'll post here if I get a good answer.
Just look for oat "groats", its the whole oat with the hull already removed and ready for human consumption. You can find them either raw or lightly toasted (which have a slightly more nutty taste).

You can soak them and eat them whole, grinding them into a course cereal (think steel cuts oats) or make them into flour. Steam them and you can rolled them out with a heavy pin to make your own oatmeal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camsoup For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Hunter

Thanks Cam. Yeah, I think I agree with you that groats are the intermediate form that is useful. In the spirit of economical long term provisions I am interested in the bulk oats at 8 bucks for 50 pounds. Looks like some kind of hulling machine is needed to get the oats into consumable form. So far I have learned that the hulls are not digestible, so that would be some very serious fiber. As I dig around I find a lot of machines for sale, all in China so far.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,332 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Cam. Yeah, I think I agree with you that groats are the intermediate form that is useful. In the spirit of economical long term provisions I am interested in the bulk oats at 8 bucks for 50 pounds. Looks like some kind of hulling machine is needed to get the oats into consumable form. So far I have learned that the hulls are not digestible, so that would be some very serious fiber. As I dig around I find a lot of machines for sale, all in China so far.
You could feed them to a horse, and then eat the horse.

JUST KIDDING
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allamakee County For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,438 Times in 32,606 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Unlike corn meal which stores very well long term when properly packaged, masa seems to have a shorter storage life. I assume there are oils in it that aren't removed in the processing since masa by definition is a whole grain product.

In all fairness, my masa was packed before I knew of mylar, so there may have been O2 infiltration issues. But the other foods packed the same way showed no signs of oxidation. Whereas the masa went rancid pretty quick. 3 years was about tops. After that, rancidity was becoming very apparent. Mylar might or might not buy you another year or two, but I wouldn't bank on it. It's one of those foods that are going to need regular rotation.

It's a shame that it doesn't last longer. As the OP mentioned, it's extremely versatile. And having the niacin freed up by the liming process, it's also quite healthy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: