Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Professional Knife Addict

Default What is your complete SHTF carry setup?

Advertise Here

I want to know what everyone plans to have on them when it's time to BO. I've always gone by the principle that there is no use collecting more weapons (Ammo is an exception) or gear that you can carry, unless you are an avid collector or plan to arm family and friends in case of a SHTF scenario.

However, I am curious as to what all is everyone going to have on their body when it's time to Defend/Scout/Scour/or flee (if need be) BOLs or properties. This list includes everything that will be on your person, and does not include items in your truck or camp site or compund. Also state the average weight of your carry setup. I'll start it off:

Apparel:
Mixed Digi-Cam Boonie Hat/Goggles/gloves/BDU
Comfortable Hiking All-Weather Boots

Gear:
Fully loaded BOB
Sleeping bag attached to BOB underneath via MOLLE.
Fully equipped LBV with mags for all weapons, cross-draw holster, and attaching thigh holster.

Pistols:
Glock 32 in cross-draw holster with spare mags on LBV
Glock 17 in thigh holster with spare mags on LBV and holster itself

Rifles:
SVD/PSL-54 Rifle single-point slung on back with spare mags in MOLLE attachment to LBV
AK-47 Rifle dual-point slung in front with spare mags on LBV

Knives:
Folding Clip Knife attached to BOB
Gerber Prodigy Tanto on left thigh drop holster
Gerber Silver Trident on lateral LBV belt mount

I have estimated the total weight to be somewhere in the 65lb ballpark which is right around the 30% window (I'm 6'1, 200lbs) for most acceptable combat load criteria, although we're talking a lot more than just carrying weaponry so I'd say it's not too bad.

Post up your setup and opinions on mine. I'm open to recommendations on anything I should change, replace, add, or remove. I am open to opinions and still learning the art and skill of BO.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,877 Times in 6,834 Posts

Pair of shorts, shoes, shirt, hat, pocket knife, and Bushmaster AR-15.

Keep in mind that if something happens, usually the world does not go to hell in a split second. Look at all of the recent natural disaster, starting from Katrina through last week. The only real issues that came up were in katrina. Through hurricanes ike and rita, just about everyone conducted themselves as civilized people.

For the most part, I believe that people are good.

When bad things happen, neighbors band together to help each other out.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM

I would suggest taking a hard look at the number of your weapons you plan to pack .
Add in the ammo and complete BOB and I'm thinking it would be a bit much to travel any great distance.

Not saying you cant carry it all but the weight of Firearms and knives alone I would guess comes close to 1/3 of your 65 pounds you have listed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edition For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Patriot

Not quite sure I see the point in carrying the SVD/PSL-54 when you have the AK. What are your reasons for carrying it?

Odds of you seeing an ambush before it happens are unlikely. That would be the only reason I could see for carrying it.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Target Shooter

Ya I really dont think u would be smart to be wearing camo and having an LBV and a leg holster. I personally think u should do away with all the tactical gear. if ur walking or driving somewhere u look suspect, cops will arrest u, looters will target u, people will be scared, if theres marshal law the guard will shoot u. Keep something at an easy to draw concealed position. U cant be walking down the streets with an AR. its just not going to be the wild west that I think alot of people are hoping for. And i spent years walking with 65 lb rucks, and dont know your experience but it seems small untill u get 5 miles in and then ur dying. Build up to it be out ruck marching all the time because average people can barely walk a couple miles with that much gear! Just my two cents, nice setup so far tho.

Update by do away i mean dont wear it while bugging out, dont trash it sorry if it came off that way. Would be nice to have in the woods or for barter after SHTF
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MtnBikeMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Target Shooter

And if im walking out im taking one handgun and one rifle and if i can cut it my shotgun but ammo is going to be a problem unless u have it cached somewhere. I cant imagine carrying a couple thousand rounds its just not gonna happen
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Prepper in Training

I think also depends on if roads accessible still. Hopefully we have an edge of anticipating this stuff and maybe on road driving instead of walking.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 PM
See you in my Scope

Thanked 5,541 Times in 1,473 Posts

Lose one of the big weapons and replace with a .22

Don't get caught up in the tacticool stuff. Be practical and smart in your decisions about what you carry.

I weighed my BOB last night at 84 pounds. I'm not going to lie to you, that is a heavy bitch. However it is in a Northface pack and is extremely comfortable.

in every category of your list you have something that screams commando. you should be thinking more like Grizzly Adams here. If you think bugging out is going to be firefight after firefight then you should pick a new BOL!

Bring the things that make adapting to living outside way easier.

Practical not tactical.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComancheSniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,338 Times in 909 Posts

Comical amount of weapons, ammo, and magazines you are carrying there. I bet you look super cool in front of the mirror all strapped up though!

The rifles alone are going to weigh 20 lbs, then factor in 2 lbs each per loaded mag.

Let's not forget your "fully loaded BOB" you conveniently neglected to mention the contents of whatsoever.

My guess?

You don't own any of this gear and just wanted to post your weapon loadout fantasy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
See you in my Scope

Thanked 5,541 Times in 1,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
Comical amount of weapons, ammo, and magazines you are carrying there. I bet you look super cool in front of the mirror all strapped up though!

The rifles alone are going to weigh 20 lbs, then factor in 2 lbs each per loaded mag.

Let's not forget your "fully loaded BOB" you conveniently neglected to mention the contents of whatsoever.

My guess?

You don't own any of this gear and just wanted to post your weapon loadout fantasy.
Amen brother! Without pics, it didn't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComancheSniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Target Shooter

Hahahahahahahah priceless!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Target Shooter

He has some pretty wicked pics in his profile tho, so i wont doubt u own these guns however carrying two of those rifles is kinda useless Id pick up a 10/22 or a shotgun over one of those anyday. Those things look HEAVY too. Id look into like a eberlestock backpack with a rifle tabbard at the least to keep one tucked away if u r walking.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,198 Times in 32,996 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Bugging in is my plan A. If I have to bug out, it's to a relatively nearby bug out location, so my pack is pretty simple. Rifle, ammo, water, first aid, food, change of undies and socks, etc. In cold weather, I suppliment with some cold weather gear, but it doesn't get that cold down here in the southwest anyway.

My entire pack, rifle, ammo and water included only weighs about 45 lbs with winter gear included. Less in the summer.

How did I get it this light? I spent time actually getting out with it on my bug out path and living out of it. Learning what I actually need and what I didn't. Something that I can tell from your list, that you haven't done.

We had a recent thread from a guy making his first test run with his BOB. It was cut short by blisters and he learned a valuable lesson about biting insects too. His second attempt went better. Can you imagine what would have happened if the first time he tried, his life depended on it? He would have died. THAT is just how important it is.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Prepared

Unless your BOB is empty, you are underestimating the weight of your rig. That being said, I would spend a little more time thinking about what should go inside the bag and a little less outfitting your weapons.

Vegas locals know, that at a buffet, you skip the salad and bread. Make a B-line to seafood bar, roast beef, and wellington. My point is that you are focused on the side-dishes instead of the entree.
The Following User Says Thank You to flickteed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 25,652 Times in 7,405 Posts

Quote:

I donno... I personally own enough gear to make myself look like an idiot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Professional Knife Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Pair of shorts, shoes, shirt, hat, pocket knife, and Bushmaster AR-15.

Keep in mind that if something happens, usually the world does not go to hell in a split second. Look at all of the recent natural disaster, starting from Katrina through last week. The only real issues that came up were in katrina. Through hurricanes ike and rita, just about everyone conducted themselves as civilized people.

YouTube - ‪Bridge City, Texas cleaning up after Hurricane Ike‬‏

For the most part, I believe that people are good.

When bad things happen, neighbors band together to help each other out.
Thanks for sharing the video Kev, you make valid points as well. I remember when Hurricane Wilma swept SE FL the entire neighborhood stuck together to help clear roads and such. Hopefully things pan out that way if SHTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe728 View Post
Not quite sure I see the point in carrying the SVD/PSL-54 when you have the AK. What are your reasons for carrying it?

Odds of you seeing an ambush before it happens are unlikely. That would be the only reason I could see for carrying it.
You make a good point. Maybe some of my stuff should be cached somewhere instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBikeMike View Post
Ya I really dont think u would be smart to be wearing camo and having an LBV and a leg holster. I personally think u should do away with all the tactical gear. if ur walking or driving somewhere u look suspect, cops will arrest u, looters will target u, people will be scared, if theres marshal law the guard will shoot u. Keep something at an easy to draw concealed position. U cant be walking down the streets with an AR. its just not going to be the wild west that I think alot of people are hoping for. And i spent years walking with 65 lb rucks, and dont know your experience but it seems small untill u get 5 miles in and then ur dying. Build up to it be out ruck marching all the time because average people can barely walk a couple miles with that much gear! Just my two cents, nice setup so far tho.

Update by do away i mean dont wear it while bugging out, dont trash it sorry if it came off that way. Would be nice to have in the woods or for barter after SHTF
Thanks Mike. I live in a pretty wooded area and it's about 100 paces to the sticks. I was referring to a situation where it was extreme chaos and all hope and order was completely lost. Nonetheless you make good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComancheSniper View Post
Lose one of the big weapons and replace with a .22

Don't get caught up in the tacticool stuff. Be practical and smart in your decisions about what you carry.

I weighed my BOB last night at 84 pounds. I'm not going to lie to you, that is a heavy bitch. However it is in a Northface pack and is extremely comfortable.

in every category of your list you have something that screams commando. you should be thinking more like Grizzly Adams here. If you think bugging out is going to be firefight after firefight then you should pick a new BOL!

Bring the things that make adapting to living outside way easier.

Practical not tactical.
Tacticool that is hysterical I have to use that on my roomate. I DO have a scoped Remington 597 (.22LR) that I plan to use for small game, so I suppose I can keep that instead.

Quote:

My guess?

Haha maybe if I was a young buck surely. But I am just an older guy trying to make the best setup possible (The photo album is my actual collection at the moment). I don't plan to expand it until I find a reason to. As of now my BOB contains first aid, about 2 weeks food/water, some changes of clothes, fire start, paracord, tarp, sleeping bag in MOLLE underneath, and a few other emergency items. I am still soaking up a lot of knowledge here to maximize an optimal BOB contents pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Bugging in is my plan A. If I have to bug out, it's to a relatively nearby bug out location, so my pack is pretty simple. Rifle, ammo, water, first aid, food, change of undies and socks, etc. In cold weather, I suppliment with some cold weather gear, but it doesn't get that cold down here in the southwest anyway.

My entire pack, rifle, ammo and water included only weighs about 45 lbs with winter gear included. Less in the summer.

How did I get it this light? I spent time actually getting out with it on my bug out path and living out of it. Learning what I actually need and what I didn't. Something that I can tell from your list, that you haven't done.

We had a recent thread from a guy making his first test run with his BOB. It was cut short by blisters and he learned a valuable lesson about biting insects too. His second attempt went better. Can you imagine what would have happened if the first time he tried, his life depended on it? He would have died. THAT is just how important it is.
I am right there with you Mike, I plan to defend fort, and leaving is a reluctant option if it becomes the only way to survive. I was just curious as to the way people are hitting the road with absolutely nothing except their legs, considering fuel and motor transportation is not an option.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,459 Posts

i'm in an urban setting- probably in the first 6 months

Apparel:
what i wear everyday-
sun hoodie
conversion pant
hiking boots

Gear:
daypack with-
water, flashlight, headlamp, some food, hd emergency blanket, a beanie, a lightweight hooded down jacket, extra pair of socks, extra undies, googles

Pistols:
a sig p226 9mm with 2-3 20 round mags

Rifles:
i doubt having a rifle- but if it gets to that point, an lwrc psd in 5.56

Knives:
benchmade 94
The Following User Says Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,036 Posts

I think the kit would depend of the nature of the circumstances. I have different kits for different scenarios; and they are ever evolving and changing. But I like playing with them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Trapper

I wear Wrangler blue jeans, long sleeve work shirts, Redwing waterproof work boots, and a cap or cowboy hat 365 days/year and won't be changing due to a SHTF. I carry a RUSH "messenger" bag pretty much everywhere I go with my essential "get home" gear. I used to carry a RUSH 72 backpack but downsized due to my tendancy to overpack. In my bag, which is sitting beside me as I type this, is a Wilson Combat 1996A2 45 acp and 7 loaded magazines as well as a Smith and Wesson 396 44 spl with 40 rounds of ammo. My "on my person" daily carry is a S&W 637 38 spl and an Emerson CQC-10.

Where I live, my attire and setup won't draw any unnecessary attention which, in my opinion, is an important element to my "get home" survival.

I won't call BS to anyone's set up, but it sure seems like there are folks on here who try really hard to "out prepare" everyone else. Personally, if it works for you, go for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retrieverman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Revolution Is My Name

Clothing: Hooded Leather Bomber Jacket(fleece lined) and longsleeve underarmor compression shirt. im a boxer guy, so yea. Black Cargo pants, black socks and black steel-toe boots. Blackhawk Ballistic MICH Helmet and Black Balaclava in cargo pocket.

Firearms: Glock 17 in Blackhawk thigh rig holster, S&W Governor in ankle holster, Bushmaster AR-15 A2 Target Rifle w/ 20 round mags. Ruger 10/22 w/ box mags in sling scabbard.

Gear: Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger ACU, Ganger Mtn six pocket fanny pack REALTREE HARDWOOD, Eureka! 0 degree performace sleeping bag.

Magazines: 4 ruger 10/22 box mags, 4 20rd AR-15 mags, 1 Glock 17 17rd mag and 2 33rd mags.

Knives: 10" bouie knife on belt sheath, utility tool knife, folding 3" knife in pocket.

Misc: Lighters, Stash in Mason jar. Spoon bowl. just sayin lol

light but effective and versatile.