Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Talking Sawyer Water Filter

Advertise Here

Hey guys I just seen that www.sawyersafetravel2.com finally have the Sawyer Point Zero Two Purifier Bucket Adapter Kit back in stock. They have been back ordered since the Japan earthquake. I have heard they are one of the best filters but have only seen videos of dirty water coming out clear on youtube. I bought two and cant wait to try them by filtering some of the water up at Alum Creek here in Ohio.

Anyone use these filters? Are you happy with the filter?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anthonymbrown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,242 Times in 3,855 Posts

I have not but I also too will be buying this filtration system. the technology is from Kidney dialysis which is pretty strong to me. The ability to back flush the filter also very attractive.

Post your results when you get them. I personally think they are better then the Katadyne systems. There filters dont have a very good service life. I see them as useless after a SHTF event.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Falcons

Thanked 1,040 Times in 520 Posts

Mine works great,I mounted the filter to a collapsible water jug I can hang from a branch or whatever. I am getting about 7 minutes per gallon on the flow,which is more limited from the spout on the jug than from the filter. I bought a turkey baster to use to backwash the filter with while in the field.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to divinginn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Prepared

Good idea, the turkey baster. I haven't used mine yet. Hopefully soon though.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 PM
SLACK OUT!

I own 2, one for my BOB and one for the house. THEY WORK GREAT! 1,000,000 gallons of water, VERY easy to clean, cheapist price on a filter for the best quality and at 0.1 micron it is very VERY hard to beat. I have the one you listed and one with a 3 foot cord on it for my BOB. Just dip that one end into a creek or lake and you are back in action. HOWEVER, a filter will not remove a virises and some bacteria (forgive the spelling just enough time to flip threw quick.) But a filter will remove 85% of the nasties out there so odds are in your favor you are good to go. If I would recomend a water filter, this would be the one. Yea, I have a berkey, and a few others, but sawyer is my go to filter. Very good pick bro!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
SLACK OUT!

One more thing, I was clicking around the site and noticed the prices were higher than where I got mine from. Order from here and save $15. Just saying.
http://www.adventuresafetyproducts.c...EMS/Categories
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PartisonConfederat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM
F.O.S. like everyone else

I got the 2L million gallon filter complete kit. I've only used it once, but I get 2L in about 3 minutes. Can't wait to go out again, without the pregnant wife and kids so I can take no water and just use this. She wouldn't drink creek water even filtered, so I carried extra water. But, I used it while cleaning.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM

PartisonConfederat,
I did not by the filter, I bought the water purifier and from their own site it states:

Viral Purification: The first (and thus far only) portable filtration device to remove viruses mechanically. It does so at a 5.5 log (99.9997%) rate, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations.
Biological Filtration: removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria like salmonella, cholera, and E. coli. And 6 log (99.9999%) of all Protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium. You will find these removal rates to equal or exceed competitive options. Therefore Sawyer offers the highest level of filtration available.

But I could have saved some money buy going to the site you pointed out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartisonConfederat View Post
One more thing, I was clicking around the site and noticed the prices were higher than where I got mine from. Order from here and save $15. Just saying.
The question is, are they in stock??? I've been wanting to pickup a couple of the point zero twos and will have to check out the above for availability.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,668 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote:
I own 2, one for my BOB and one for the house. THEY WORK GREAT! 1,000,000 gallons of water, VERY easy to clean, cheapist price on a filter for the best quality and at 0.1 micron it is very VERY hard to beat. I have the one you listed and one with a 3 foot cord on it for my BOB. Just dip that one end into a creek or lake and you are back in action. HOWEVER, a filter will not remove a virises and some bacteria (forgive the spelling just enough time to flip threw quick.) But a filter will remove 85% of the nasties out there so odds are in your favor you are good to go. If I would recomend a water filter, this would be the one. Yea, I have a berkey, and a few others, but sawyer is my go to filter. Very good pick bro!
You have the .1 micron filter, same as me. They have better...

Op is referencing the .02 micron filter, which has been out of stock for some time now. The .02 will filter out some (I believe not all) viruses (sp?).

Thanks for the heads up OP.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Subculture

Thanked 1,032 Times in 436 Posts

I have a 2L set up with the .02 filter. I've only used it a couple of time, but I like it so far. I don't filter mud with it. We have nice, clear streams in Oregon. It seems to filter plenty fast for what I need and I can carry the clean water in my Camelbak and another 2L in the dirty bag if I'm going where there's no water near by. Not likely in the PNW, but I have the capability. I did a review on mine right here: http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=169574
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverlion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 AM
silenced

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umc View Post
The question is, are they in stock??? I've been wanting to pickup a couple of the point zero twos and will have to check out the above for availability.
they are showing to be right now, and looks to have no shipping cost. i might get one now

nice find PartisonConfederat
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
A quick glance at their prices and it may be cheaper to get them here.
http://www.shop.biteandstings.com/ca...5?categoryId=6
Did not check shipping & other costs however so don't take it for granted.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,644 Times in 6,103 Posts

I have it as a backup filtration system. My main one is still the Katadyn Pocket filter.

The reason it is on back-up duty is I have durability questions still. I am worried about possible damage to the membrane filter (freezing or sharp materials) and not knowing about it. There is no way to inspect the filter element at this time.

But it is light, effective and inexpensive. I see no reason not to get one or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,303 Times in 1,575 Posts

The smaller the microns of a filter the more they filter out. Can anyone tell me why or how the Sawyer can filter hundred of thousands of gallons yet the First Need claims only 125 gallons? It just seems to me the smaller the filter the quicker it clogs up. FYI you can back wash the First Need.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
The smaller the microns of a filter the more they filter out. Can anyone tell me why or how the Sawyer can filter hundred of thousands of gallons yet the First Need claims only 125 gallons? It just seems to me the smaller the filter the quicker it clogs up. FYI you can back wash the First Need.
Well it is all about the filter element. Sawyer uses a non-expendable membrane. So it will not wear out or degrade(though damage can happen). The First Need uses a Canister that has some sort of carbon matrix. Not sure how that exactly works but it may "fill up" with debris and impurities that can not be removed once in there (similar to activated charcoal). So it might get used up. Yes, you can backflush it, but I do not know if that will remove the micro contaminants and not just the debris. Another possibility is that it may have materials that degrade over time/use. Lifesaver bottles filter elements actually have an expiration date on them. They only last 3 years and, if primed, 5 years. This is because of a glycerin component in the filter element. Don't know if First need canisters have anything like that. They are pretty secretive about their filter. Katadyn Pocket has a ceramic filter, that will also wear down once you keep scrubbing it clean.

But the Sawyer and first need will clog up if you are using cloudy water. As with all filters, use the cleanest water you can find. If the sawyer clogs up, you just turn it upside down and run some clean water through the other end. It will "rinse off/ backwash" the membrane. But again, my concern is how do you know the filter isn't damaged if some sharp debris got in there...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Well it is all about the filter element. Sawyer uses a non-expendable membrane. So it will not wear out or degrade(though damage can happen). The First Need uses a Canister that has some sort of carbon matrix. Not sure how that exactly works but it may "fill up" with debris and impurities that can not be removed once in there (similar to activated charcoal). So it might get used up. Yes, you can backflush it, but I do not know if that will remove the micro contaminants and not just the debris. Another possibility is that it may have materials that degrade over time/use. Lifesaver bottles filter elements actually have an expiration date on them. They only last 3 years and, if primed, 5 years. This is because of a glycerin component in the filter element. Don't know if First need canisters have anything like that. They are pretty secretive about their filter. Katadyn Pocket has a ceramic filter, that will also wear down once you keep scrubbing it clean.

But the Sawyer and first need will clog up if you are using cloudy water. As with all filters, use the cleanest water you can find. If the sawyer clogs up, you just turn it upside down and run some clean water through the other end. It will "rinse off/ backwash" the membrane. But again, my concern is how do you know the filter isn't damaged if some sharp debris got in there...

Makes sense and certainly a concern with the Sawyer but what I think is more of a concern than "sharp debris" (since that can be pre-filtered out) is the un-for-seen damage that you mention whether due to freezing or just a manufacturer defect.

I think the bottom line is that any of these filters could have a manufacturer defect or un-seen damage that we as the end user would never know about and could ultimately harm us. I don't see where the Sawyer is any different than the rest in this regard.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,303 Times in 1,575 Posts

Vicdotcom,thanks for the response. The biggest problem I have with discussions about filters/purifiers on this forum is the difference between a filter/purifier for backpacking and one for bugging out. What I want to know in layman terms is what the worse water I should trust my purifier with. If the only water I can use is a retaining pond off a highway in everytown USA whats the best/safest filter/purifier to use? This is not the same issue confronting a backpacker in the Rockies.

What sticks with me is a review on another forum. The person doing the review said there were better purifiers for backpacking. The First Need was heavy and its ability was over kill for the water to be encountered. He went on to say that he lived in farm country in Minn. The land was chemical laden, the homes were on septic systems and well water. During those times when the river overflowed and wells were contaminated. He reached for his First Need to Filter/purify the water flooding around his house. A filter/purifier that claims a million gallon ability is meaningless to me if I get sick off the first gallon. I've used my First Need to purify water that Bear G. fellow would prefer his own urine over. I'm honest enough to say I've no clue what was in the water I was attempting to Purify. I do know no one got sick off it.

I'm not interested in high capacity so much as the ability to purify really polluted water. (Urban runoff) Anybody have a recommendation?
The Following User Says Thank You to seawind For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Recent Blog: Food Storage For Vets
VIP Member

I'm glad to hear some good reviews on this...I bought one about a year ago because of the 'million gallon' advertising and some reviews I read. However, not having gotten to use it yet, this will motivate me to give it a try. Interestingly, the price is about the same today as it was then.

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers available at Discount Mylar Bags.
Bulk Orders for Survival and Preparedness Store Owners: ShieldPro Flexible Packaging
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
Vicdotcom,thanks for the response. The biggest problem I have with discussions about filters/purifiers on this forum is the difference between a filter/purifier for backpacking and one for bugging out. What I want to know in layman terms is what the worse water I should trust my purifier with. If the only water I can use is a retaining pond off a highway in everytown USA whats the best/safest filter/purifier to use? This is not the same issue confronting a backpacker in the Rockies.

What sticks with me is a review on another forum. The person doing the review said there were better purifiers for backpacking. The First Need was heavy and its ability was over kill for the water to be encountered. He went on to say that he lived in farm country in Minn. The land was chemical laden, the homes were on septic systems and well water. During those times when the river overflowed and wells were contaminated. He reached for his First Need to Filter/purify the water flooding around his house. A filter/purifier that claims a million gallon ability is meaningless to me if I get sick off the first gallon. I've used my First Need to purify water that Bear G. fellow would prefer his own urine over. I'm honest enough to say I've no clue what was in the water I was attempting to Purify. I do know no one got sick off it.

I'm not interested in high capacity so much as the ability to purify really polluted water. (Urban runoff) Anybody have a recommendation?

Yep, there is a huge difference in backpacking filters and bugout/shtf filters for sure. At least in my opinion. And that article you read was correct, for backpacking, you can get away with a little less filter because if you do get sick, you can still reach help. Water is usually a little cleaner when you do go backpacking also. There is less run-off and almost no viruses to worry about. Skip ahead to SHTF Katrina style... DB's laying in the water, chemical runoff everywhere... different scenario.

The retaining pond brings up an interesting issue also. And that is chemical runoff. Most filters/purifiers will not purge 100% of the chemicals. Not the first need or the katadyn or the sawyer. For instance, I can run gasoline or alcohol right through these filters and it will come out the otherside. You will have filtered chemicals LOL Some of the heavier chemical solutions may get blocked out. But not all.

As you can also see, many purifiers say "Purifier is certified to EPA Guide Standard for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses; removes giardia and cryptosporidia" but says nothing about chemicals. Out of the filters discussed, I would trust the first need filter the most in that situation. But there are usually activated charcoal "add ons" to all these units that will help filter out chemicals. But they do not last very long.

So the best way to drink retention water, again is to get the cleanest water possible before filtering. In this case it would be water from the middle of the water column. Chemicals will normally float to the top or sink to the bottom. Getting water out of the middle will give you the cleanest water out of that source.

Hope that helps! This is an example of the activated charcoal add on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post: