Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Default Update on Mylar Storage. Problem?

Advertise Here

Hi Everyone ...

I just got in from work and planned to fill some more mylar bags this evening but I have a couple of questions. I thought I had it all down but need to be sure before maybe wasting some bags.

My first attempt storing things a few weeks ago went pretty well and I felt I'd done it correctly. For example, pinto beans and rice ... all of the bags "squeezed up" just right (it was obvious!), except for 1 bag of each and I know I did them the same as the others. But there's no tightening at all -- it's just like they were in their regular plastic bags. I've been tempted to redo them but hated to waste the mylar bags. Also, I had some heirloom organic wheat flakes (cereal) with no change but I figured it was because if it "squeezed up" everything would be crushed, so I just put them in storage. My other concern was with something of the consistency that was "very fine" ... soy flour or regular flour, for example. No change either. I put 2 O2's in everything (can't remember if they were 200s or 300s, though). Should I assume everything is as it's supposed to be or start over on the questionable bags?

The other problem comes from my not thinking ahead. I ordered a pack of 100 sealed O2 absorbers (100cc this time so I know I'll use more per bag). Unless there's an alternative, I think I'll have to have at least 25 bags worth of items before I can even open them.

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Many thanks ... Robin
Old 05-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Station 44 - IAFF

I think your WHOLE problem to some tightening up, somenot is that you didnt use enough Oxygen absorbers... For a 5 gallon bucket you need to be using atleast 1500cc-2000cc. Thats the only thing i can think of as to why it didnt work very well and tighten down hard. You said u put 2 of them in everything, well if there only 200CC that would only be total of 400cc.. Your about 1000cc-1500cc short
Don't use them in salt and sugar tho or they will hardened up like a brick and u will be b able to use them..

I would hate to say REDO everything.. But... They are not goin to keep as long if there is still oxygen in the bags due to you not using enough O2's. The ones that tightened up obviously leave alone but the ones that havent shown any signs of it i would definetly redo. Yes they will still keep for a good while, but not for half as long as ur probably thinking..

ANd instead of buying (100) 100CC O2's lOl - I would DEFINETLY just get either 1500cc or 2000cc worth to be safe.. I use 2000cc - I put 1000cc on the bottom and another 1000cc after half of the bucket is filled and have never had any problems.
Instead of (100) 100cc you can just get (10) 1000cc Have (5) 5 gallon buckets ready to go and open up the packet of 10 o2's all at once w/ out a probelm...
Hope that wasn't too confusing lOl but ya i think pretty much ur just not using enough. There is no reason to use 10 o2's in one bucket instead of only 2 ya know? I guess it wouldn't really matter in the end but i would just think doing less would make it easier!
Hope this helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRD505 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Thanks very much. I was already kind of leaning that way. The bags and O2's aren't really that expensive and I'd hate to think I spent all this money for supplies only to have them go to waste because I was too lazy to redo them.

I was also amazed at how easy it was to do them once I got started.

Thank you again.

Robin
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin56 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Recent Blog: Food Storage For Vets
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin56 View Post
Thanks very much. I was already kind of leaning that way. The bags and O2's aren't really that expensive and I'd hate to think I spent all this money for supplies only to have them go to waste because I was too lazy to redo them.

I was also amazed at how easy it was to do them once I got started.

Thank you again.

Robin
If you are going to rotate them into your regular food storage, you could always just eat the items you are worried about. Rice and beans will last a good long time in just a Mylar bag...I'm been using the same 50lb bag of wheat on and off for over 2 years now with no change in freshness; I have it stored it in its original mesh bag in a plastic tub. (it is cool and dark though!)

As one of the other posters stated, it might be that you used too few absorbers; but as an FYI, on some occasions if you have just a little too much headspace (the air in the bag), the Oxygen Absorbers will still remove all the oxygen, but not draw down the bag very much because it is only removing the 20% oxygen in the bag and leaving the remaining nitrogen.

Good luck!

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers available at Discount Mylar Bags.
Bulk Orders for Survival and Preparedness Store Owners: ShieldPro Flexible Packaging
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AandB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,664 Times in 7,450 Posts

When I've had mylars that don't pull tight, invariably it seems there's a pinhole in the mylar.

It's possible, I suppose, that you didn't have a good seal, I seem to remember discussing that before and it sounded to me like you had done it correctly.

One way you might tell if the seal is bad or there's a pinhole in the mylar is to pull the sides away from each other (pinch one side in each hand, and pull them apart--or try to). See if it appears there's air entering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,930 Times in 31,382 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I agree with JRD505. It sounds like you didn't use enough absorber. But remember, if you do have a problem bag that doesn't suck in, you can always clip a corner, insert a new O2 absorber and reseal if the bag is undamaged. As Goose said, there may be a pin hole somewhere. This is why I don't like a hard vacuum type seal on my bags.

Which brings me to my next point. If you're packing hard, sharp foods that could puncture a bag, or delicate foods that you don't want crushed, you can leave more air in the bag, use more O2 absorbers, and end up with less vacuum. I do this deliberately in a lot of situations specifically to keep the bag from being over stressed by the vacuum. As you said, O2 absorbers aren't expensive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Hi again ...

Been catching up.

Instead of (100) 100cc you can just get (10) 1000cc Have (5) 5 gallon buckets ready to go and open up the packet of 10 o2's all at once w/ out a problem...
I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that.

When I've had mylars that don't pull tight, invariably it seems there's a pinhole in the mylar.
I thought of that and tried, as you'd described, to check them but they all seemed okay. Probably wouldn't hurt to give it another shot.

If you're packing hard, sharp foods that could puncture a bag, or delicate foods that you don't want crushed, you can leave more air in the bag, use more O2 absorbers, and end up with less vacuum.
This might be a good answer to the flaked cereals. Also, I had forgotten about the N2 ... I remember hearing someone talk about that.

I know I'll get the hang of this soon, but it's nice to know I have great folks around when I'm unsure.

Thank you all very much ... Robin
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin56 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,450 Times in 667 Posts

Just clip the corner of the bags that did not seal slide in some more absorbers and reseal.

But it sure sounds like you aren't usind enough 100c will not even start to work in a big bag.
The Following User Says Thank You to wchancey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Recent Blog: Food Storage For Vets
VIP Member

A rule of thumb is 300cc per gallon Mylar bag...a little less than that will work if the food is very dense, and a little more if it is not. JRD is right on, 1500-2000cc for a 5-gallon bag.

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers available at Discount Mylar Bags.
Bulk Orders for Survival and Preparedness Store Owners: ShieldPro Flexible Packaging
The Following User Says Thank You to AandB For This Useful Post: