Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-17-2011, 12:23 AM
BEWARE OF DOG

Thanked 1,096 Times in 392 Posts
Default need a root cellar/bunker on the cheap....check this out.

Advertise Here

check out what this guy built.i think he done a super job on it.

http://www.richardspelling.com/stormshelter/index.htm

mtnman mike is gonna love this build.....
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 AM
When all else fails......

Thanked 5,953 Times in 1,789 Posts

thanks, like the simpleness. not everyone can afford those high price deals. might try doing one myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alaska_freedom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 AM
BEWARE OF DOG

Thanked 1,096 Times in 392 Posts

one more for you.........

http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/art...rootcellar.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elkhound For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,703 Times in 3,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhound View Post
check out what this guy built.i think he done a super job on it.

http://www.richardspelling.com/stormshelter/index.htm

mtnman mike is gonna love this build.....
No I don't! Kidding sorta.

I actually have seen that before and $800 is cheap for many but not for many others.
At least the guy built some kind of bunker. And if people wish to follow his plans it might work out well. It also looks like it could be built in Florida and so many other places where I have seen others constantly post saying that there is no way they can build an underground shelter or even have a basement which would have saved lives in the terrible tornadoes.

Anyway, here is the link that I like to post in bunker threads, which for some reason there are more than I have ever seen the past few months. > The Everything about Bunkers thread and where I tell exactly how I built my bunker is here with many pics. Later in the thread others also tell about their bunkers etc. > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463

I also like to post the link to the plans I used for the main room of my bunker / shelter > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm
There are NO other better or less expensive plans, that I have seen anyway. Those plans were also tested in the nuclear tests in Nevada in the sixties.

I also did put a 55 gallon drum on its side, painted with rust proof paint, inside my bunker and where I store some things, mainly kerosene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhound View Post
Now this is one that I have not seen before. I do like this one, even though it doesn't look too purty and is tooo crude. Maybe I missed it but I don't see anywhere how much it cost to build.
And it is not a truly underground shelter / root cellar but he did move large amounts of dirt and covered it, at least.

I like seeing all kinds of root cellars, storm - fallout shelters and bunkers. Even underground houses which I have seen a few in real life, even helped Mike Oehler build some on his.

I still like the bunker / underground cabin / storage / storm shelter that I built though. It has lasted, since 1996, through many hard winters with up to 12 feet of very Heavy snowpack so I must have built it well, despite some saying it is crap and should be torn down!

IF any truly are interested in seeing much more, many of the pic threads etc. maybe glance over this section > http://survivalhq.info/index.php?board=4.0

I will also be taking many more pics and even making some videos this next summer. Actually a good guy from Maryland is going to camp, work and Live up there also from June to Nov. and create the videos as well as help me build a new partially underground cabin with a greenhouse. Which I hope will cost maybe around $100, since I will build it mostly using 30 dead pine trees that are on my remote mtn land.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Hiker

Here is a question for someone.

I am buying a house, (hopefully) within the next month. It has no basement, thus is not an adequate root/storm/bunker shelter. It does have a very nice deck. What I would like to do is build a storm shelter under the existing deck.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any ideas on how to accomplish it?

Home inspection is on friday, maybe I'll crawl under the deck to see how things look then.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsman View Post

I am buying a house, (hopefully) within the next month. It has no basement, thus is not an adequate root/storm/bunker shelter. It does have a very nice deck. What I would like to do is build a storm shelter under the existing deck.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any ideas on how to accomplish it?

Home inspection is on friday, maybe I'll crawl under the deck to see how things look then.
If you're in tornado country, decks are basically like big toothpicks.

To construct an adequate storm shelter underneath the deck you would need a concrete foundation under it and then some sort of storm proof shelter on top of the concrete pad that was securely anchored.

And even then you'd be putting your shelter right next to a large source of flying debris.

Is your house on a crawl space or on concrete foundation? If you're on a crawl, you're stuck.

If you're on concrete foundation, I'd install something in a walk in closet.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsman View Post

ironically, it would be easier to build if the deck wasn't there (then cover it with the deck) vs. maneuvering under the beams and joists (i'm picturing 3' off the ground type deck) and dealing with the pilings where you may want something else, like space (regardless of height).

if you mean to defend against a real tornado type storm, the deck will go and the house could fall or go as well - the deck structure could be what acts like the wind's weapon against you. any hills to build into?

are you slab on grade or crawlspace? if the former, building a saferoom tied to the slab could be a better option.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 9,649 Times in 3,186 Posts

The first came out looking pretty cool. I'd trust it.

The second, I think my 4 year old grand daughter could make a better looking mud pie.

In another forum we were discussing using large 6 or 8 foot concrete culverts. You can get them in round or square and in varying lengths.

A lot less work and probably less expensive.

Also, What's wrong with just pouring a slab then building concrete block walls with proper rebar between, and a poured slab roof? Water proof it, insulate with styro-foam, bury it. Probably more expensive but you could buy the blocks a few every payday.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

One more thing about root cellars.

You can build one above ground. If you leave the floor slab uninsulated, then heavily insulate the walls, like 8 or 12 inches of styro-foam, you get the same cooling like in a cave. Works for a root cellar or storm shelter.

Some people built a house like this a few years ago. Solid concrete walls, heavily insulated on the outside of those walls. Worked pretty good.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,660 Times in 697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1064 View Post
Also, What's wrong with just pouring a slab then building concrete block walls with proper rebar between, and a poured slab roof? Water proof it, insulate with styro-foam, bury it. Probably more expensive but you could buy the blocks a few every payday.
This is what I've been of a mind to do for use as a combination storm shelter, root cellar, and poor man's temporary fallout shelter.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,703 Times in 3,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
This is what I've been of a mind to do for use as a combination storm shelter, root cellar, and poor man's temporary fallout shelter.
Seems expensive building with much concrete, which seems to keep going up in price every year, more than double the price from when I started using a lot of concrete over ten years ago.
And using styrofoam, a lot of rebar etc. is also not too cheap.

THIS, in the link below, is the poor man's temporary fallout shelter. It can also be made into a permanent storm / storage underground shelter.
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm
There are NO other better or less expensive plans, that I have seen anyway. Those plans were also tested in the nuclear tests in Nevada in the sixties. And one big reason I used them when I built the main room of my bunker / shelter in the late 1990's.

If people wish to spend little $ or even many many thousands, I really don't care what people use to build with - concrete, culverts, shipping containers etc. etc. etc. Just as long as they build some kind of protective shelter.
And someday if raiders attack, tornadoes hit etc. etc. would then cry out, "IF we Only had a good shelter so we would not have to die now in this terrible tornado etc...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,819 Times in 984 Posts

My BOL is a cottage on posts - no cellar. I need to consider something like these as there is a lot of ledge there.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM
3 more years of this?

Thanked 2,361 Times in 947 Posts

Im going to build mine out of cordwood. Always easy to find downed trees usually free and you can build archs with this method. Plus you can make your walls as thick as you want.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Semper Fi

COOL!

I am going to try and get something like it built this summer.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,660 Times in 697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Seems expensive building with much concrete, which seems to keep going up in price every year, more than double the price from when I started using a lot of concrete over ten years ago.
And using styrofoam, a lot of rebar etc. is also not too cheap.

THIS, in the link below, is the poor man's temporary fallout shelter. It can also be made into a permanent storm / storage underground shelter.
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm
Thanks MM. Will give it a look MM when I have a moment. Part of the equation for me is my entry level construction experience. Fortunately, I have a dad in law with plenty enough block construction experience, so I figured he could teach / guide the project. So that's why I was headed in that direction initially.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Hiker

When I said under the deck, I meant under the deck. The deck is 16x20. So I dig down beside the deck 8 feet, the dig a 10x10 hole under the deck. build the forms under and then pour the concrete. Place a concrete cap on top, then cover with dirt. While doing so, build a ramp down to the door with concrete sides and a concrete cap. this way the deck would actually hide the air intakes and exhaust.

Install a drain and a catchment to hold waste that could be pumped out by hand. and directed away from the house either to the city sewage system or to a temporary pit under an outhouse.

I suppose if I had to I could tear up the deck and build it, then replace the deck.

Also. I was thinking about building a 1000 gallon cistern, connecting it to the root cellar to supply water. This would also be connected above the deck with a hand pump. The cistern could either be filled from a roof runoff system or by pumping directly from the well. This way it could be used both for storm shelter/root cellar/fallout shelter with running water.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Seems expensive building with much concrete, which seems to keep going up in price every year,

http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm.
Have you priced pressure treated posts lately? If you don't use pressure treated wood then your shelter becomes a death trap in a few years.

This may be a good idea if you expect the S to HTF in the very near future, and need something right now. Could be built for little more than the cost of labor by harvesting logs from your own property. But it would not last very long.

Not knocking it. It has it's place. But for a permanent underground shelter. Concrete or fiberglass.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Have you priced pressure treated posts lately? If you don't use pressure treated wood then your shelter becomes a death trap in a few years.

This may be a good idea if you expect the S to HTF in the very near future, and need something right now. Could be built for little more than the cost of labor by harvesting logs from your own property. But it would not last very long.

Not knocking it. It has it's place. But for a permanent underground shelter. Concrete or fiberglass.
Depends on what type of wood you use as well.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgonra View Post
Depends on what type of wood you use as well.
True. Boise D'arc, cedar, sassafras, cypress, are available in various parts of the U.s. All would last much longer than pine.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Hiker

Quote:
True. Boise D'arc, cedar, sassafras, cypress, are available in various parts of the U.s. All would last much longer than pine.
Saw n old church in middle tn a few years back that was well over 100 years old. The siding had all rotted away but the frame remained intact. The owners were about to tear it all down when someone that knows woould came by, I forgot what he said it was but commented the frame would STILL be there long after they were dead, they just needed to put siding on it.