Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,524 Times in 705 Posts
Lightbulb Getting rid of a "Chest cold"/cough faster than normal

Advertise Here

When in college I came down with a severe case of bronchitis which then transformed into walking pneumonia. I was coughing up crap a couple times a minute and I got tired of "keeping it in" so I decided to always carry an empty 20oz or 1L soda bottle to expel the foul liquid into. Now this was probably the 10th time in my life, at least, that I had some kind of bronchitis and the doctors always gave me meds, possibly a few rounds. NOT ONCE did the doc's ever advise me to constantly expel all the crap I was coughing up. So, I started to spit this stuff out and about 3-4 days after I started "expelling" it, I was almost totally better and this was WITHOUT meds! Never before had I ever gotten over a sickness like this without some anti-biotics and a long period (3-8 weeks) of horrible coughing.

I decided to always try this "expelling" method anytime I had chest congestion and I found that I never fully developed bronchitis after learning this and before it had been a yearly thing!

It only makes sense that keeping all that bacteria in the body is not healthy. It is amazing how fast someone who is sick can fill up a 20 oz bottle, and it is sure gross when I dump it down the toilet!

So, the next time you start to get sick with a chest/lung congestion, try this out and see if it doesn't clear up the infection faster or without medication.

The strangest thing about this is that when I told my doctor(s) (two different ones at that) about this they never made any statement about it probably doing some good or helping clear things up. IDK what their deal is/was because it makes such a huge difference. I would have thought anything that would help people get better faster would be of interest to them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tankman1989 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,364 Times in 6,635 Posts

Also have someone perform a technique called "chest percussion", where they cup their hands and lightly beat on your back and your chest like a drum, hence the name. It helps to break up the congestion and allow you to cough it up and spit it out.

Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated it helps to liquify the gunk as well.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 01:49 AM
I do tarot. For free.

Wow, I'm surprised no one told you that coughing up, and spitting out your phlegm/mucus would help you get better faster.

I've got a repaired trachea/esophageal fistula (layman's terms: A connecting hole between the tubes where food goes to the stomach, and where air goes into the lungs, now replaced with scar tissue), so I get bronchitis maybe 2 or 3 times in a healthier year, and ever since I was a kid, all I've ever been told is "Cough it up, and spit it out."

I'll throw this out there too, Robitussin, or even the store brands that are 'cough suppressants' and 'expectorants,' help calm the uncontrollable coughing, the kind that wears you out and doesn't help much to cough up the phlegm so you'll have more energy for more effective coughing, and the expectorant part breaks the phlegm up a little so it doesn't stick as bad to the inside of your body, so you can 'expel' it.

My mom makes a homemade version with brandy and soaks anise seed in it for a while, I think it was 8 weeks, but that is really a bad idea for any women who may be pregnant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2BigCubs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,364 Times in 6,635 Posts

FInd medications with Guaifenesin in it that liquefies the gunk as well making coughing productive.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,713 Times in 6,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
Also have someone perform a technique called "chest percussion", where they cup their hands and lightly beat on your back and your chest like a drum, hence the name. It helps to break up the congestion and allow you to cough it up and spit it out.
I have a chronic cough and always get bronchitis with any little cold. My friend does that one on me and works well. Although she uses a little more force than a light beat...
Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,543 Times in 4,236 Posts

I recently kicked a nasty chest cold. I found that cranking up the shower and inhaling the steam helped loosen the mucous in my lungs so that I could hack it up and out.

I also exhaled deeply several times and this usually made me cough so I could force the mucous out.

If you or anyone that you know has had surgery, you'll remember a device that the nurse had you/them use. It's plastic contraption that you exhale into and keep a small ball floating in a tube. Same idea, exhaling to remove fluid from the lungs to prevent pneumonia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Prov 3:18

Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,011 Posts

Nebulized distilled water can help loosen it up a bit as well.The best thing I have found for it is MucinexD.

Hungry,that contraption is called an incentive spirometer.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,060 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfirebalrog View Post
Nebulized distilled water can help loosen it up a bit as well.The best thing I have found for it is MucinexD.

Hungry,that contraption is called an incentive spirometer.
MucinexD is the best!

Also put some vicks vapor rub in very hot water breath in the vapors - cleans out your sinuses real quick!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie505 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
silenced

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,520 Posts

nebulize colloidal silver so it can reach the infection in lungs

use essential oils like eculyptus to cleans the air if you can diffuse.

drink teas made with mushroom extract, medical herbs and local honey. drink a few times a day

get everything out, and sweat to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chey's Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Terrorist Terrorizer

Why do you think you cough? Sneeze? Throw up? Your body is trying to get rid of something.... Personally, I haven't gotten sick ever since I started smoking god's gift to us. Maybe that's just me. Just sayin
Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 11,407 Times in 4,091 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Chronic chest colds stem from several issues, but if you don't figure out what the problem is and deal with it you will have issues when you get older. My lungs are scarred rather horribly from years spent "Hacking and coughing it up".

For those that cough frequently, wait till you see the little lumps at the end of your little Bronchioli that develop as scar tissue from the coughing. That xray can be very enlightening. It is also why some docs won't tell you to "cough it up" because they know it causes scar tissue that can create long term issues that med and surgery can't fix.

Get to the source of the issue. Drainage coming from the sinuses that doesn't get swallowed or spit out goes into the lungs. Stop the drainage. Get a scan of your sinuses to find out what to do.

Mine was sleep apnea, poorly draining sinuses, and asmatic response. Solving the apnea problem, then the sinus draining problem caused the asmatic response to go away.

Haven't had pneumonia since and used to get it every year for about 8 years. Nip it in the bud or you will regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Master of the obvious

Thanked 1,335 Times in 465 Posts

creeping charlie tea
Glechoma hederace
I just learned this, havent tried it yet. We have a lot in the lawn.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,562 Times in 879 Posts

I cant imagine the body actually being able to heal itself???????????

I thought only NYQUIL daytime could cure a chest cold.......lol

Imagine that a cough actually served a very important function in the body

Imagine a fever as being beneficial to the immune system

Naw Ill believe the TV commercials that tell me I cant get over a cold w/o taking SOMETHING that dries my sinuses/mucus up
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie505 View Post
MucinexD is the best!

Also put some vicks vapor rub in very hot water breath in the vapors - cleans out your sinuses real quick!
Yes, I second the Muscinex! It is now in my BOB 1st Aid kit
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Target Shooter

Sleep.. Lots of sleep.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Here to learn

I use ginger root, two ways, and it's so effective that I have my family asking for ginger root when they get sick. One way is to grate it - about a tablespoon- cover in honey and swallow whole. The other is to slice up the ginger and boil it into a tea. I often will add a dash of cayenne and then mix it with orange juice and drink it down. Both ways are very effective at loosening chest congestion and help us to get over our chest colds faster.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

I had the flu this winter,for the first time in over 20 years... the flu lead directly into a major case of Bronc.
I made several mistakes in my recovery which probably kept me sick and hacking for 3+weeks.

1. I swallowed- I assumed that my stomach acid would kill the germs.
2. Drank straight from containers- I live alone and was so sick and such low energy that I just drank all liquids right out of containers.
3. I kept waiting for the sickness to go away on it's own- ,instead of going to the doctor. Finally after 2 weeks of nausea, not eating and hacking my brains out ,I finally dragged myself to urgent care and got some antibiotics and suffered another week waiting for them to work.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse Now View Post
Finally after 2 weeks of nausea, not eating and hacking my brains out ,I finally dragged myself to urgent care and got some antibiotics and suffered another week waiting for them to work.
About three years ago i had a bad chest cold for about 3 weeks.....it got better on its own...lost 14 lbs in the process....felt awesome afterwards
The Following User Says Thank You to 12vman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,713 Times in 6,116 Posts

I win. I had pneumonia and I let it heal on its own.

Do I get some Natural News award for that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofl33t View Post
I win. I had pneumonia and I let it heal on its own.

Do I get some Natural News award for that?
anybody ever notice how wonderful you feel after coming through a sickness naturally?