Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I stand alone!

Thanked 4,727 Times in 1,934 Posts
Default SHTF Clothing

Advertise Here

For those of you that are not preparing to BI how much thought have you given clothing? Funny I rarely hear people talk about it but it may very well be the most important part of gear.
I have been giving it a lot of thought lately and have decided that I need to upgrade all my base layers. I have a ton of hunting clothes that will do well as they are very rugged and durable but my base layers and pants I am worried about.
I am looking for any suggestions that any of you might have for very durable and very long lasting pieces in these areas.
I think maybe canvas pants, specialized wool socks, and maybe flannel basics might be a upgrade?
Remember, in the worst case scenarios there will be no stores, no laundry mats, no tailors..... At least not for a while. So a premium on heavy duty, long lasting clothing is a must even if it is uncomfortable, heavy, or hot... It must last
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,306 Times in 823 Posts

I keep a full change of clothes in the trunk of my car. I work in suits. In my trunk bag I've got cargo pants, black t-shirt, long johns, winter coat, sweater (layers) and a choice of running shoes or hiking boots. Everything is dark, but designed to look "normal." I don't want to send up any red flags.

At home, I have all the clothes I could need for a world without heat or shelter. But to me, the real consideration is having those clothes with me where ever I go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Team For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Look Behind You!!

Thanked 2,253 Times in 977 Posts

Invest in wool sweaters. They keep you warm even if they happen to get wet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Like A-Team mentioned, my own work attire isn't really suitable for long-distance traveling on foot, especially over rough terrain. I keep a full set of clothes with my BOB in the trunk. I also have spare undies and socks sealed in plastic bags in the BOB. All the spare clothes are kept in a duffel bag that would easy to just grab and go, changing into my bug out attire, so to speak, along the way. Cargo pants, thick socks, T shirt, long sleeve dark flannel, and hoodie. As the seasons change, I'll add in or take out the heavier winter gear but I always keep the hiking boots in there.

At home, I have all I'll need for quite some time and all weather conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimPI For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM

I invest in Greek tunicas and togas.

Canvas pants is a good idea. Wool and coolMax is also nice investment.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Hunter

I like synthetic base layers. A light weight Patagonia is my my favorite. Wool would also be a good choice. Like a lightweight Smartwool, or Icebreakers base. With proper layering, lightweight is all you need really.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM

If your plans involve passing through a fair amount of brush, I highly recommend a good pair of brush pants. I got a pair from ****'s (ha ha it doesn't like their name. It is the sporting goods store that would be the nickname for a fella named richard, rhymes with bic) that are field and steam label. They are decently comfortable, but when walking through brush they are awesome. I prefer cargo pants, but these have no cargo pockets or anything to snag in the brush. They have held up really well for me. I wear them when bucking hay bales alot and they never snag and I never get poked.

like this

Otherwise, it is hard to beat a pair of ripstop BDU pants. You said clothes, so I won't get too into boots, but if you are bugging out, your boots had better be up to the task.

Last edited by timtebow970; 05-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: to rename the store I got them from
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timtebow970 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,295 Times in 30,778 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've always kept way too much clothing. So I'm set long term. Mostly durable stuff like Carhartt. Even my daily wear is generally wrangler cargo pants and a hearty shirt. Tons of undies and socks too. I almost never throw any away, and I always buy more when I run into a good deal. I'm such a pack rat sometimes.

I also have a bunch of sewing supplies and cloth, though I can't sew worth beans. I figure it might come in handy some day. I got the cloth, thread, and all the knick knacks when one of the local cloth stores went out of business years back. I have had an old treadle sewing machine put aside for years anyway, so it just made sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 8,849 Times in 3,678 Posts

We have loads of clothes...and thats after I just packed up and donated 400lbs of kids clothes to Salvation Army....I buy second hand jeans and overalls and most of it is Carhart....built to last I also buy every wool sweater I run across....Goodwill has them in the kids department for $1.50 and they are usually mens that has shrunk lol....we have about 10 military issued wool sweaters that they kids can wear.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 5,852 Times in 2,319 Posts

CZ..like a couple others here, I need to have a professional look for my clients while at their site..Now, i do keep my GHB in the trunk and in the trunk cargo box i have a change of clothes...OD pants w/rigger belt, boots, 2 pair wool blend socks,
dark UA t-shirt, and a multi cam bdu top and OD boonie hat....more than enough to get me home an dsurvive along the way wiht what is in my GHB...

We are buggin in, so all my other outdoorsy clothes are in the home/garage....
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,464 Posts

If you are bugging out don't forget the sewing kit . Even the best/heaviest clothing can snag or tear! A sewing kit the size of a matchbook (thread and needles) could make all the difference in the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanked 1,171 Times in 655 Posts

My family is jean lovers, overalls and khaki's. We all have cammo for hunting but dont wear it on a daily basis. ****ies holds up good for us. We are bugging in at our homestead. Definitely layers!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
+

Thanked 2,828 Times in 914 Posts

Shoes and socks are my top priority. I'm covered for several years at home and my gfod pack has an extra pair of shoes in addition to what I wear starting out. A lot people scoff, but trekking any distance in improvised footwear is no picnic. Long term I can make moccasins, but not on the go.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,590 Times in 885 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

For Christmas this year I bout each of my guys and gals a pair of heavy Cabala's Camo bibs. (They were on sale.) They can wear them with, or without another pair of pants under them, depending on the weather.

I get them new work boots every birthday. This way they will have 2 or 3 pair at a time, because they last way longer than a year. Living on a farm they wear boots more than anything. Every time they get new sneakers, I have them keep the old pair too. We always seem to have about three years worth around. They don't look great, but they are still good enough. Good thing I have a basement for this stuff.

I keep up on the coats too. I have 5 boys, and all but one is finally done growing. Whew. That makes it easier to buy a head.

Socks, socks, socks... we really go through the socks. So I know I have at least a years worth put back, and rotate them so the cotton and elastic are "fresh."

I also keep buying gloves of all types whenever I see them on sale. Same with safety goggles.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,403 Times in 735 Posts

Well, if things get REALLY weird, I'm considering going full-on skyclad and Celtic woad around the farm. If we're limited to just-average SHTF, then it'll be tan ripstop BDU pants, Wellingtons, and worn-out dress shirts. Monkey suit's a necessity at work, though, so I've also got the standard jeans / t-shirt / running shoes in the GHB.

Edited to add: No, you probably didn't want that picture in your head, but this is serious business, buster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Griff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtebow970 View Post
like this
Those look somewhat comfortable actually. I won't get bibs because they suck to wear, and I like to stay on the trails, but I've got to think about getting those pants.

I'll have a basic sewing kit on me, If I need I can turn my wardrobe into whatever I need, no matter how awful I end up looking.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,141 Times in 344 Posts

Shop the thrift stores for gloves, and footwear. You might be able to make tire sandals, but hard to improvise winter boots.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Hunter

I too find bargains at the Salvation Army. Wool sweaters with a silk shirt underneath, no itching, for upper body. Nomex long john bottoms with heavey cotton cargo pants. Nylon, would prefer silk, liner socks with good wool outer socks and a good pair of "worn in" water resistant boots. Top it off with a wide brim hat, water proof jacket and rain pants and you have a good set up for walking home in the rain.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 AM

Default ****ies

When SHTF, I will be wearing ****ies. What do I wear now do you ask? ****ies. I wish they would sponsor me.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Hiker

years ago in the Browning hiking books it was suggested to wear leggs knee highs under wool socks while hiking ,prevents blisters ,helps with moisture . eases taking the socks off for frequent change. also those brush pants look good bot are they all two tone?