Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Suburban Cowboy

Default cauterizing a wound with gunpowder- dual survival

Advertise Here

Did anybody catch that? The guy sliced himself open with a knife, and cauterized his wound by pouring in gunpowder and lighting it with a burning stick from the campfire.

WHY IN BLOODY ****ING HELL WOULDN'T YOU HEAT THE KNIFE IN THE FIRE AND CAUTERIZE IT THAT WAY??? Now he's got black powder burned into an open would on his arm instead of squeezing the wound together and burning it shut with hot (sterile) steel. Not to mention in a REAL, not staged situation, if a wound was bad enough it needed to be cauterized, the amount of blood flowing out would render the gunpowder a pasty bloody useless mess with zero chance of catching fire.

This is why these shows **** me off. They skip over the obvious for the ridiculous.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Did anybody catch that? The guy sliced himself open with a knife, and cauterized his wound by pouring in gunpowder and lighting it with a burning stick from the campfire.

WHY IN BLOODY ****ING HELL WOULDN'T YOU HEAT THE KNIFE IN THE FIRE AND CAUTERIZE IT THAT WAY??? Now he's got black powder burned into an open would on his arm instead of squeezing the wound together and burning it shut with hot (sterile) steel. Not to mention in a REAL, not staged situation, if a wound was bad enough it needed to be cauterized, the amount of blood flowing out would render the gunpowder a pasty bloody useless mess with zero chance of catching fire.

This is why these shows **** me off. They skip over the obvious for the ridiculous.
heating a knife wont do it unless its a small laceration any serious hemoraging youd be best off with a turnequet and
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM

I thought you were supposed to suture it up yourself with no anesthetics. That's how they do it in the movies.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Suburban Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
heating a knife wont do it unless its a small laceration any serious hemoraging youd be best off with a turnequet and
Yeah and if the wound was that big, using gunpowder would either not ignite, or blow a chunk out of the limb you were trying to preserve.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Yeah and if the wound was that big, using gunpowder would either not ignite, or blow a chunk out of the limb you were trying to preserve.
i could see maby the potassium nitrate and sulfer possibly in the BP acting as coagulants but I call shinanigans on trying to light the stuff

the saying isnt keep your powder dry for nothing
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Babarosa??
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Here to learn

The wound wasn't bleeding bad enough for Quik Clot.

Skin stapler would have been the most appropriate choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to EagleRiverDee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,029 Times in 397 Posts

Needle and thread would have been less painful and healed with a smaller better looking scar.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,914 Times in 1,450 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I think you are all forgetting , that is ALL he had to use...sure there are tons of other stuff, but this was ALL there was to use...geez...
Old 05-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,707 Times in 5,237 Posts

Please.
Just go to the nearest vet. Who is by the way allways incredibly hot. And just get her to fix it up.
Then sleep with her, Walk around a bit all moody and half naked. And you will be good as new.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 AM

It's a TV show!!!! Gotta get the ratings.... They do however have some great/practical info from time to time. But your rite he could just ask the camera guy for a band aid, LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to 700xx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,471 Posts

Yes, I agree with the OP , that whole skit was stupid and done for shock value and ratings.

When I was watching it I had this > look on my face.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalypse Now For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,525 Times in 3,716 Posts

The black power thing was definitely done for shock value, but it didn't bother me too much either. They said themselves that it was done for instructional purposes, and if Dave wants to light his arm on fire, then more power to him. If some idiot copies them unnecessarily, then they deserve what they get in my opinion.

My guess is that the producers are pressuring them to "up the ante" because there are so many survival shows that have already done the basic survival situations in just about every climate.

Personally, I would like to see them do more disaster oriented survival, perhaps in an urban setting. Kind of like what they did with The Colony, but focusing on real survival knowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanked 9,061 Times in 4,508 Posts

I'd like to see them do a show where someone is actually in danger.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 PM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 7,334 Times in 2,810 Posts

Quote:

I didn't watch the show. Did he not get the gunpowder to light? I'm not recommending it. But It's done and actually taught in certain extream situations.

I would like them to educate more people on those shows against Nuclear/Chemical and Biological attacks. I feel it would be a lot more useful to society because of the desires of our enemies to use such attacks. and the complete lack of knowledge most people in that area if such an attack was successful.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Suburban Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalguy72 View Post
I think the closest one is probably survivorman with Les Stroud... at least he goes out by himself and does all his own camerawork and building. I'm sure he has gps tracking to come get him if anything goes wrong, but he doesn't go gallavanting through the woods with a camera and support crew pretending to be in peril. (Coughcoughbeargryllscough)
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
Please.
Just go to the nearest vet. Who is by the way allways incredibly hot. And just get her to fix it up.
Then sleep with her, Walk around a bit all moody and half naked. And you will be good as new.
LOL what??
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,383 Times in 1,471 Posts

Quote:
Watch Swamp People.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
+1 This is why a have this in my pack and my boys.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Here to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepony View Post
I think you are all forgetting , that is ALL he had to use...sure there are tons of other stuff, but this was ALL there was to use...geez...
No, I don't believe that. If it had been me, I'd have wrapped it. They were only in that situation for a couple days. He wasn't going to go septic in a couple of days. Cauterizing a wound is MUCH more likely to cause an infection than simply wrapping it up and allowing a scab to form, in any case. They had a bandana, they could have simply wrapped the wound.

I firmly believe that the episode was made for sensationalism only, which makes me because Discovery is ruining the entire point of the show. If I want to see someone do the stupidest option in any given situation, I'll watch Bear Grylls. Dual Survival did a good job last season teaching good skills. In this episode they should have demonstrated using superglue, skin stapler, or even field sutures. But cauterization? No. That was dumb.