Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Question What do you use a big fixed blade knife for?

Advertise Here

I see where a some people here carry a big fixed blade knife in their kits. What do you use those for? I have never really found them to come in handy.

Am I right in thinking that people are using them in what would usually be the role of a hatchet?

No trying to raise a ruckus, just curious about what uses people have found for these tools. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojavesam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Hunter

Maby this would give you a couple of arguments!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,033 Times in 397 Posts

Whacking off arms and legs and the occassional head, what else!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hackroutetracer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,775 Times in 1,703 Posts

trimming the daisies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BOBtheBUTCHER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,293 Times in 5,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullars View Post
YouTube - "Why Big Knives Don't Suck" by Nutnfancy

Maby this would give you a couple of arguments!
I did sort of gloss through the video. but cutting wood for fire, making shelter and self defence.

Quick question with the fire thing. Do you need to chop down trees and cut giant logs in half to make fire?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,050 Posts

Well, I learned the hard way yesterday not to use a hammer on a big knife :D I'v has a big 6-8" Buck (with the black handle) for 20 yrs, decided to split a piece of 1x12 off for a string wrapper... it was just laying there on shelf, First little whack with hammer and WaLaa.. 2 piece blade. Made me a little sad seeing the made in USA stamp and everything on blade but, shat..I get to buy a new blade now
The Following User Says Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,735 Posts

I have'nt watched the vid yet but to say for uses - to make items from wood, as a spear (lashed to a staff), obviously self-defense or offense, butchering large game animals, makeing shelter parts.
a machete is one thing that a small group of bug-out people should have along with 1-2 large 'bowie - type' knifes per group or bayonets for their rifles should do just as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Trapper

It's better to have too much knife than not enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ax4jc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,293 Times in 5,514 Posts

Now there is a question I have been meaning to ask. Can you kill anything with a knife strapped to a stick that you couldnt just kill with a pointy stick?
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,327 Times in 2,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwood View Post
Well, I learned the hard way yesterday not to use a hammer on a big knife :D I'v has a big 6-8" Buck (with the black handle) for 20 yrs, decided to split a piece of 1x12 off for a string wrapper... it was just laying there on shelf, First little whack with hammer and WaLaa.. 2 piece blade. Made me a little sad seeing the made in USA stamp and everything on blade but, shat..I get to buy a new blade now
Didn't the box your Buck came in have a logo of knife cutting a nail?
Buck may replace your knife?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Thread killer

Now there is a question I have been meaning to ask. Can you kill anything with a knife strapped to a stick that you couldnt just kill with a pointy stick?
Yes, two critters come to mind, wild pig and porcupine. They are plenty tough and the knife would make things a lot easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to chops For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
I did sort of gloss through the video. but cutting wood for fire, making shelter and self defence.

Quick question with the fire thing. Do you need to chop down trees and cut giant logs in half to make fire?
I dont

i carry somethhing similar to this

between the pencil sharpener and i have one that lets me shave down limbs up to 1 1/8 in giant pencil sharpener basicly i can get all the kindling i need to start fires and most wood is good to burn just getting the kindling is harder and by shaving em to thin wafers it makes life easy and i have a tobacco pouch full of shavings so i can alwayse have dry tinder to start things off

I dont carry a knife typicaly bigger than 4 in
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,272 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
I dont

i carry somethhing similar to this

between the pencil sharpener and i have one that lets me shave down limbs up to 1 1/8 in giant pencil sharpener basicly i can get all the kindling i need to start fires and most wood is good to burn just getting the kindling is harder and by shaving em to thin wafers it makes life easy and i have a tobacco pouch full of shavings so i can alwayse have dry tinder to start things off

I dont carry a knife typicaly bigger than 4 in
You sir, are a freaking genius. A pencil sharpener. I would never have thought of that. Small, lightweight, full of awesome. Thank you. You deserve so much more than my thanks for this post.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LEPER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I love this forum

This is a copy of a reply I made on another post regarding knives and multitools I feel would possibly help the original poster's question.

You can make almost any knife a multi tasking tool in which you seek. In my pack I have 3 folding knives, one is a skinning knife by Remington, another I dont know what kind it is, simple folder with a rubber handle, found it in Germany and I have a baby folder which is also a no name brand, just for tiny jobs, all of them are in seperate pockets of course. I own a Gerber MK2 and my issued K-Bar, but depending on what Im doing I only bring one or the other, but lashed to the outside of my pack is the invaluable Kukri knife I got from a soldier while in Nepal in that countries army. Acts as a machete / hatchet combo. The two ceremonial knives fit in the top of the sheath by the belt loop, one is sharp one is rounded but come in handy for various little jobs. (Hope this pic turns out, if not, here is a link.) http://www.redair.co.za/redair_010.htm

Sounds like a lot of knives but again, the folders stay in pockets of my pack and only bring a long blade depending on what Im doing, hunting or camping. As for a multitool, I still have my Gerber while serving overseas and never had a problem with it, but I also have a Leatherman and I generally grab what ever my hand lays on first as Im heading out the door.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Here to learn

For me, a big knife is nearly as effective at chopping as a hatchet, weighs less, and is more versatile. However, I don't use my big knife for everything. I also carry a small folder and a Becker Necker for many of my needs.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 AM

I don't have a big knife, just a medium sized Ka-Bar U.S fighting knife, I use that more than I do my folder, dunno why I guess its just my favorite, if I have to do some really fine cutting i'll use something smaller but for general cutting the Ka-bar is what I use.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEPER View Post
You sir, are a freaking genius. A pencil sharpener. I would never have thought of that. Small, lightweight, full of awesome. Thank you. You deserve so much more than my thanks for this post.
I cant claim the idea as my own wayland from the uk gave me the ideas i ran into him on another outdoor type forum forum hes got some interesting stuff on his site

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/projects.html

i basicly used his idea and modified it abit

http://www.veritastools.com/products/Page.aspx?p=386

I also keep that in there its like a pencil sharpener on sterioids but its foor for tapering staff tips and such wich is why I got it but it takes things down quick
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
workin on it

Thanked 1,137 Times in 463 Posts

I purchased a gerber recon bowie (admittedly an impulse buy, good price). Have not used it in any woodcraft in camping or hiking, Too heavy to take hiking.

I like it a bunch and convinced myself that I could use it in a basecamp situation for something. If used as a hatchet, I would have a hatchet there. If used as a skinner, would have something smaller more suited for that.

Could serve as an excellent short sword for cqc.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,326 Times in 6,633 Posts

Chopping, skinning, spear, self defense there are tons of good reasons to have a large fixed blade.

I have 2, 1942 USMC Kabar and a M9 Bayonet (it has fence cutters).
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,822 Times in 3,566 Posts

I carry 2 large blade knives
a bayonet fer tha FN
and a bowie -- whacks off fishheads w one chop, scrapes hides, skinning,
slitting pigs (4 legged) throats, mini wedge for splitting , and last stand