Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Pedophiles will die soon!

Thanked 1,481 Times in 576 Posts
Default How many people here has lived without electricity/running water?

Advertise Here

I was 10 years old before I had electricity. I was 18 before I experienced running water. I know how to survive without either one of them. It was work carrying water but I made it. How many people on here has experienced living without either electricity or running water?
The Following User Says Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Fire Fighter

Thanked 1,239 Times in 484 Posts

I did in Vietnam for a year but then it was a war zone and I had worst things to deal with. Mark
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Willy-N For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughFemale View Post
I was 10 years old before I had electricity. I was 18 before I experienced running water. I know how to survive without either one of them. It was work carrying water but I made it. How many people on here has experienced living without either electricity or running water?
I'm curious. Where were you living where there was no running water or electricity? Might I ask what the circumstances were which prevented you from having running water and electricity?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot121 View Post
I'm curious. Where were you living where there was no running water or electricity? Might I ask what the circumstances were which prevented you from having running water and electricity?
I grew up in KY with disabled parents. They could not work and make the money it would take to support a home that could have electricity or running water. And too, a lot of people at that time in that area did not have these things. I learned a lot of survival techniques during that time just watching my parents.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,990 Times in 2,814 Posts

My grandparents had a small dairy that did not have running water or electricity until sometime in the mid-60s when they finally put in one of those new-fangled milking machines. It took my grandmother FOREVER to figure out how to cook on that electric stove! LOL
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
My grandparents had a small dairy that did not have running water or electricity until sometime in the mid-60s when they finally put in one of those new-fangled milking machines. It took my grandmother FOREVER to figure out how to cook on that electric stove! LOL
It was the summer of 1974 when I first got electricity and my first TV.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughFemale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Prepared

Quote:
I lived 6 months in the bush without power and water, I loved it, some of it was hard work but it was well worth the experience. I think people should practice what they preach, so at least they know what they are talking about. You can only learn so much from books.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tasman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM

I had a vacation in Vietnam around 1 week staying in the Mekong Delta (Ben Tre IIRC). There was no running water, very limited electricity, but it wasn't too bad. Water was from river (washing, bathing, etc) and rain storage (cooking, drinking). Life was simple, in the morning either you go to work on the field or patrol the garden (2-3 arches), then go home for lunch, when nightfall people usually go to sleep around 8-9 since there was not much entertaining. People travel with torches during the night. The only complain I had was too much mosquitos, those annoying insect kept zooming around and bit you occasionally. But without running water or electricity aint too bad actually, might be boring and uncomfortable but it's not deadly.
The Following User Says Thank You to rem700 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasman View Post
I lived 6 months in the bush without power and water, I loved it, some of it was hard work but it was well worth the experience. I think people should practice what they preach, so at least they know what they are talking about. You can only learn so much from books.
While I LOVED visiting my grandparents, I have to admit to being quite fond of running water, especially the hot kind that comes out of my showerhead every morning!!

So ... while I "could" do without, if I had a choice, I'd rather not ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
The last of the Ravens

Thanked 8,204 Times in 816 Posts

while for the most part i have lived with both, my dad and aunts, and their parents and the such did not have electricity or running water until he was 18. so i have heard all about it (nor did they have heating save for wood) and have "learned" a lot of tricks from their tales.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bavarian Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
While I LOVED visiting my grandparents, I have to admit to being quite fond of running water, especially the hot kind that comes out of my showerhead every morning!!

So ... while I "could" do without, if I had a choice, I'd rather not ...
Me too! I do love the hot water baths. I used to have to bath in cold water. Not fun.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 22,093 Times in 7,631 Posts

My grandmother lived in a one room house with no electricity or water until 1976. I have friends who spend summers in their TP. Open fire, well water you draw by hand. At a bad time in my life my house was in forclosure and I got so behind on the bills I lived for about 3 months without any utilities. My neighbor hooked me up with a garden hose through the bathroom window. I can do no electricity and even no water if there is an outhouse.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Me too! I do love the hot water baths. I used to have to bath in cold water. Not fun.
No kidding ... after I got old enough to figure out what the deal was I made sure my visits to Grandma's house were in the heat of summer!! She didn't like to "waste" wood on heating water for a bath! God rest her soul ... she was something else. Her and grandpa were migrant farmers during the Dust Bowl. My mom was born in a tent with a dirt floor in AZ ...

Grandpa's favorite story to tell was about how they nearly drowned crossing the river in a leaky boat to go get married "right" by the preacher. According to him Grandma got so mad that she nearly didn't marry him (her dress got messed up!).

I really wish I had written down or recorded her and grandpa's story. My how the world has changed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,312 Times in 31,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot121 View Post
There are still some rural areas that have neither. And I've met a number of people who didn't have it growing up. Including some who didn't have it even as early as the 1970s or '80s.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,312 Times in 31,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've never lived without either, other than camping trips that lasted several weeks. But I'm not all that hung up on it either. I've bucket flushed broken toilets enough to know it's no big deal. I've taken plenty of bucket baths too. And when the power goes out around here, it's just no big deal to light an oil lamp and carry on with life. I don't currently use any climate control, so to me, the only real worry about power is my freezer.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
There are still some rural areas that have neither. And I've met a number of people who didn't have it growing up. Including some who didn't have it even as early as the 1970s or '80s.
Yep. There are lots of folks in really rural areas in Oklahoma even now that don't have either.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Recent Blog:
I told you so!

Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,320 Posts

I grew up without both elect and running water, wood stove, out in the woods I loved it. 15 yrs ago I left my business and my home moved to the mountains to raise my boys so they would learn how to survive on their own and use their brains, also they were home schooled. have not looked back, it has been great, now I live in my BOL. JT
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wasniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Hiding in plain sight

Thanked 1,227 Times in 372 Posts

Only once a year for a week or two for scout camp as a kid. We had running water to drink but no electricity. Toilets were big holes in the ground. Anything is doable as long as you don't dwell on what you had when you had electricity or water. Barring any emp or solar trouble I'll always have limited electricity with my solar setup. But it would be far from the worst thing in the world to not have power or water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Einrich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Prepared

i/we have lived without both for 6yrs now.and LOVE it. we live @5200' in the mountains of MT. the closest power or water is 13mi. away. we snowmobile 5-6 months year (were still on snowmobiles) there is no one around but us. state and blm land surrounds us. our "yard" is the woods and mountains around us. we have any kind of critter that you can think of that live around us. our light is kerosene lamps and our water comes from rain/snowmelt that we store in tanks upstairs and outside (in warm weather). we cook on the wood stove 9 months a year, when it gets to hot we use the grill or a propane stove. our 'fridge' is in our cabinet or outside most of the year as well. we also have a propane fridge that we turn on "when the milk starts to spoil" (it's still off so far this year).
this computer is powered by 4 solor panels with 4 batts.. we also have a small DC freezer that is powered by the system. other that that it is used for nothing else. we have to run our gen. in the winter once every 2 weeks or so to charge the bank (this computer sucks alot of energy, my wife works from home and we are 1 1/2 hr from the nearest town. we could never go back to all the modern 'conveniences'. we can hardly stand to be in a room with a tv anymore and we both HATE going into town. we have a free life up here and it's wonderful... we also have chickens...
sorry to ramble, just thought i'd contribute...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mountain1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,448 Times in 4,613 Posts

We had electriucity but I did not have running water untill I was 18 or 19 years old. We managed just fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post: