Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Question sawed-off shotgun

Advertise Here

Could be a stupid question but here goes anyway. Is there a manufacturer that makes sawed-off shotguns with a pistol handgrip that is sold to the public? I saw a post on here...could be a year ago now, this guy had a pic of a sawed-off shotgun in his bury cache. It looked really nice and I would like to have one of those if possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to remnant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Trapper

Might be the Mossberg, they sell a pistol grip shotgun in a storage tube.

Before investing I would shoot one first, they look bad@ss but in reality they are slow and klunky, if your going to be effective with a shotgun you really need the butstock. Try running one though a simple IDPA stage of fire sometime :-)

Take care,
The Following User Says Thank You to RazorCityDen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Aint life grand

Here's a Serbu Super Shorty. It's a handfull, but makes a nice compact truck gun. Since it's considered an AOW, the tax stamp is only $5.
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuggit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 10,953 Times in 5,235 Posts

Totally impossible here, but THAT looks sexy!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,896 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

Knoxx has a pistol grip. check the blackhawk website
Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,312 Times in 824 Posts

What's the actual range of the Serbu Shorty?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
What's the actual range of the Serbu Shorty?
I've shot an original Ithaca ('Bodyguard' or 'Undercover' ?) that had a longer barrel and it grouped buckshot about what you would expect with a 18" shotgun. The group was pretty tight at the ranges I could hit with the thing, which was about 12' or 15' on an IDPA target.

Don't expect it to send out a 2' spray at 10', it seems to take buckshot a few feet to start spreading reguardless the barrel length. A good handgun shooter is much more effective.

I'm not much of a shotgun fan anyway and not having a butstock doesn't improve things IMO!

Take care,
The Following User Says Thank You to RazorCityDen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Prepared

I didn't think you were legally able to "saw off" any barrel. However you can either purchase a shorter factory barrel for your shotty or have the work done by a smith.

In Canada you have to have a total length of 26" for it to be legal.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Target Shooter

Pedersol makes a Howdah pistol in 20 guage double barrel black powder. Cabellas sells them the barrels are about 11".
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

18 in barrels is plenty short my friend

thats as short as you can get things legaly and anything shorter than 18 in is kinda pointless anyway
Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Aint life grand

Quote:
I didn't think you were legally able to "saw off" any barrel. However you can either purchase a shorter factory barrel for your shotty or have the work done by a smith.
An individual can "Form 1" a shotgun to make it a short barrel shotgun. Send in the form with your $200 tax, wait to get the stamped form back and hack away. On a Form 1, you're considered to be the manufactorer. You're taking a Title I weapon and turning it into a Title II weapon.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Recent Blog: WBC
Prepared

I have an 18 inch pistol gripped Maverick 88, loaded with buck it's a bear to handle, at least for smaller folks, i thought my ranger buddy was going to leave heat shield marks on his forehead with it... thought i had low brass bird loaded in it lol.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

only thing you really use a short barreled pistol grip shorgun is for breaching other than that its not nearly as effective as a shotty with a buttstock its real hard to use and no one I know uses it after the foot hold is established

boom boom doors breached

1 man goes in 2 man 3 man breach man last then switches to his normal weapon and drops the shotty to his side

doesnt alwayse happen like that sometimes breach is first depeng on how crazy things are and might have to fire a round or two but honesly there not that great for mout to hard to reliably controll well
Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Recent Blog: WBC
Prepared

yep, get yourself a nice mossy, with an 18 inch breech barrell, and nice full stock, or m-4 style stock, way better for functionality, although the "look i have a sawed off" factor isn't there
Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwilliam1 View Post

In Canada you have to have a total length of 26" for it to be legal.
In the USA you can saw off a shotgun, as long as the barrel is at least 18" long, and the entire gun is 26" or more. If you want to do a tax stamp, which requires fingerprinting and a background check, along with a fee and registration of the weapon, then you can cut it as short as you want.

A "short barreled shotgun", or rifle for that matter, which is simply any shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18", or a rifle with a barrel shorter tan 16", is a $200 tax. An AOW, "any other weapon", under the national firearms act, is a $5 tax stamp. AOW is just a catch-all for any weapon they wanted to regulate but could fit in another category. The super shorty, and guns like it, are AOW's because they are not considered shotguns, they are smooth bore pistols.

Mossberg and Remington both offer 18" barreled shotguns with pistol grips, which can be bought at any gun store. They seem to be reasonably priced, I have a mossberg that I bought off a relative that needed money, then I put a buttstock on it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,333 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant View Post
Could be a stupid question but here goes anyway. Is there a manufacturer that makes sawed-off shotguns with a pistol handgrip that is sold to the public? I saw a post on here...could be a year ago now, this guy had a pic of a sawed-off shotgun in his bury cache. It looked really nice and I would like to have one of those if possible.
No question is stupid if you are really looking for straight answers. What is stupid is unless you are kicking in doors and clearing houses with a team at your back it is impractical.

Looks sexy but that doesn't translate into useability. For sport shooting and hunting you need the stock. If you are looking for a bump in the night gun you might consider a stock with a pistol grip and an 18" barrel. If your thing is robbing Quick Mart and 7-11 then a sawed off shotgun with no stock that you can hide in your baggy pants or under your trench coat is just the thing. Not for serious defense work.

Forget the cool factor and go for practical, you will be glad you did.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 PM

i thought they were illegal?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 10,953 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietFury View Post
i thought they were illegal?
That rather depends on where you are.

They're illegal here.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Renaissance Survivalist

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,259 Posts

Shotguns come with a "choke" (a constriction within the last several inches of the barrel) and vary in the degree of constriction. Typical designations are full-, modified-, and improved cylinder-choke. A barrel that has no choke is referred to as a cylinder-bore barrel.

A shotgun's choke helps determine the rate at which pellets spread as they travel further away from the shotgun. Shotguns usually come with a fixed choke, while some are manufactured to accept adjustable/interchangeable choke tubes, depending on for what you intend to use the shotgun. If you saw off the barrel, you remove the choke; this creates a cylinder-bore barrel shotgun. A full-choke barrel will tend to shoot more concentrated shot patterns at a given distance than a barrel with a modified-choke, while a cylinder-bore choke is no choke at all and will have the widest pattern.

There are only three good reasons to have a sawed-off shotgun: generally inexpensive (buy a cheap shotgun and cut off the barrel, but not less than half it's original length), concealability, and short range damage.

Always remember, however, to operate within the parameters of your local, state, and federal laws (if any) in this regard. In a SHTF scenario, this might change, however.
The Following User Says Thank You to embrachu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Trapper

You can legally saw of the barrel of any gun, just as long as you don't go below the minimum barrel length (typically 18" from breech face to the end of the barrel) and the minimum overall length (typically 26" from the top of butt pad to the end of the barrel). Check your state to make sure. You can do it yourself, you don't need a gunsmith or FFL to make it legal. If, however, you cut it too short you'll need to destroy it and buy a whole new barrel. You might even consider letting the man know what happened. Not necessary if you completely destroy the mistake, but you might want to cover your bases.

If you go with a pistol grip be sure to get a forward grip with it. It will take a lot of the strain off your rearward hand since there won't be a butt stock in place to do the same.