Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Hiker

Default Vitamins - The most important item?

Advertise Here

Now I don't know exactly how much ya'll know about providing food from the wild, farming, or raising livestock and I won't pretend to. I do believe that I know enough (can't reload, tho ) to be able to get a decent amount of food from my surroundings. What I don't know is whether or not whatever food is available to me will have the vitamins/minerals/protein my body needs. This is why I suggest everyone look into buying some form of multivitamin in bulk, and possibly individual vitamin supplements/protein powders in the event of a particular deficiency.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freek314 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 57,940 Times in 17,495 Posts

Agreed!

I store and rotate lot's of multi-vitamins. I try to but those large 250 count bottles.
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 AM
workin on it......

Thanked 1,402 Times in 545 Posts

This is exactly why I've gotten the hubby into the habit of taking a multi every day. 1) he works alot....really alot and was getting worn down. 2) I have multi vitamins stocked and wanted him to get in the habit.
Since I've been taking Vit D I feel much better so I plan on stocking those also.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Hunter

Storing a few boxes of Supergreens. Its powder you mix out in water. Contains a buckload of vitamins and minerals!

I try take some in the winter to avoid getting sick. Also extra now in spring during the worst pollen season. Avoids lot of the hayfever!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Gullars,

What brand is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Hunter

i agree with the vitamins , i also think that herbs are good and certain spices red pepper and garlic all powdered are my favorites !
The Following User Says Thank You to cj06 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,704 Times in 2,401 Posts

Vitamin C is found in pine needles. Just steep crushed needles over night in tepid water, strain, and driink.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Fun Guy

Vitamin C. Need to keep scurvy and gingivitis away. A good all around multivitamin is obviously the way to go, but having extra vitamin c is always good.

The whey protein powders you speak of are a great item as well. If kept dry they will store for 5 years even after being opened and up to 10 years if left unopened. They lose some of their potency but still make a great item to have on hand.

Glutamine is a great immune and testosterone booster and will store for quite a while as well if kept dry-I'm not sure of the exact time frame but it is in the multiples of years.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Stayin' above ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
Agreed! I store and rotate lot's of multi-vitamins. I try to but those large 250 count bottles.
We do the same. Kroger brand seems to be a reasonable price alternative to the expensive "name brands".
Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM

I agree also. Heat destroys enzymes and nutritional value as in canning. So while you may be filling your stomach, you are not getting the nutritional value the food had before cooking at high temperatures. I keep them on hand at all times along with supplements such as fish oil, tumeric and more. Niether my husband or I have green thumbs after many failed appempts at gardening. So vitimins and supplements go a long ways. We of course do eat lots of fresh foods in season.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrviveInWis View Post
Gullars,

What brand is that, if you don't mind me asking?
I have tried different types. The one I use now is called " perfectly healthy mega greens ". Google that and you find yourself a supplier.

http://www.perfectlyhealthy.net/Prod...tID=MegaGreens , there is probably cheaper brands out there, but I accually lived on this and protin powder on days Iv been to lazy to cook!

New and Improved Semi Certified Organic Ingredients: * Barley Grass, *Beet Root Powder, *Bilberry Leaf, Broccoli Powder, *Carrot Powder, *Dandelion Leaf, Garlic, *Ginger Root, *Red Raspberry Leaf, *Rosemary Leaf Powder, *Sage Leaf, Spearmint, *Spinach, *Olive Leaf, -Alfalfa Leaf, Alfalfa Sprouts Powder, Aloe 200:1, Barley Sprouts, Beet Leaf Powder, Cabbage Leaf, Celery, Kale, Okra, Parsley Leaf Powder, Peppermint Leaves, Shave Grass, Strawberry Leaf, Watercress Aerial Parts, Wintergreen Leaf, Cauliflower, Avocado, Cucumber, Green Tea Extract, L-Beta Carotene.

*100% certified organic ingredients Made with vegetarian capsules or concentrated powder and contains vitamins and minerals:

Vitamins: Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin G, Vitamin K.

Minerals: Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Carotene, Chlorophyll, Trace Minerals, Folic Acid, Niacin, Folate, Copper, Choline, Pantothenic Acid, Soluble, Iron, Fiber, Maganese, Omega 3 fatty acids, Thiamine, Tryptophan, Dietary Fiber, Calcium, Molybdenum, Caffeic Acid, Mineral Silica, Zinc, Boron, Silicon, Selenium, Histidine, Glycine, Tyrosine, Zirconium, Fibre, Chromium, Aluminum, Saponins, Phytosterols, Alkaloids, Tannins, Phenolic Acids, Riboflavin, Protein, Sulfur, Nitrogen, Salicylic Acid.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,312 Times in 824 Posts

You can't just store a multi vitamin. You need to make sure it is a multi vitamin AND a multi mineral. The minerals can be just as critical as the vitamins.

Back in the '70s there was a fad called "The Pure Protein Diet." It was a shake of NOTHING but powdered protein that you made into a drink mix. People were excited because they shed a ton of body fat on it. Getting carbohydrates out of your diet, especially processed carbs does that. But, then they had the heart attacks start. By getting all the minerals out of people's diets the heart didn't get the potassium it needed and some people who were following "The Pure Protein Diet" died.

It's also necessary to understan the Metabolic Pathways Chart. This is a description of how many molecules of various vitamins, minerals, and amino acids you need for various metaboilc proceses. Essentially, we are complicated machines. We don't just need one vitamin or mineral or amino acid for a process. We need X number of each molecule to complete the different stages of the process.

It's just as easy to get a basic multi vitamin + multi mineral as it is to get a multi vitamin - so you might as well get a bottle that holds both.

It's also important to understand the difference between Minimum Daily Requirement (MDR) and Recommended Daily Requirement (RDA). MDA is a rough number established to avoid nutritional defficiencies. RDA truthfully is a number the FDA just pulled out of thin air. It has NOTHING to do with what is genuinely the optimal amount of different vitamins and minerals.

The very best multi's on the market are expensive. They are:

1. Life Extension Foundation
2. Vitamin Research Products
3. Life Enhancement Products
4. Pearson and Shaw's Personal Radical Shield + multi mineral for men/women

But you do NOT need to got to this kind of expense. For avoiding deficiencies the majority of the supermarket one-a-day type multi vitamin/mineral will work just fine. They are cheap and they last with high potency for a long time just being stored at room temperature.

And avoid any product that is sold through Multi Level Marketing (MLM). They jack up the prices so much on those products and cut the quality so that they can pay the downlines of the MLM dealers. MLM = over priced and poor quality EVERY time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Team For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 551 Posts

I don't give multivitamins all that much credit. It has been proven time and time again that once you shallow it a large portion of the vitamin goes right through you. You do not actually absorb most of the vitamin. Try dropping one into a glass of water and see just how much dissolves. Besides if you actually look at the content they contain rather small amounts of vitamins. Not enough to really do much good unless they are actually sold as a separate vit like a b vitamin or an e or D. I rather like to get my vitamins from food. ALso, vitamins do not have a long shelf life unless you actually get a type that is designed for last ten years.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freek314 View Post
Now I don't know exactly how much ya'll know about providing food from the wild, farming, or raising livestock and I won't pretend to. I do believe that I know enough (can't reload, tho ) to be able to get a decent amount of food from my surroundings. What I don't know is whether or not whatever food is available to me will have the vitamins/minerals/protein my body needs. This is why I suggest everyone look into buying some form of multivitamin in bulk, and possibly individual vitamin supplements/protein powders in the event of a particular deficiency.
It certainly doesn't hurt. But I think you should be eating your vitamins, not swallowing them in pills, as much as possible. Vitamins in particular are quite easy to get from the wild plants, garden, and sprouts. Protein and fat are less easy to get if game is hunted out.
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Prepared

One of the vitamins that the body can't make or store is Vitamin C. You can get enough to survive with fresh green veggies and fruit, but if they run short you could have an issue. I like The Emergen-C brand that comes in individual foil packets. They have a load of C in them as well as other vitamins and will keep pretty much forever. Just mix with a 4-6 oz of water and you are good to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Polarisail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM

I think this is so easy to overlook for survival, I bet a lot of BOB's are missing vitamins. Every day living is one thing, but in a long or short term disaster situation I think most people will quickly become malnutritioned.

Does anyone have info/thoughts on how long the effectiveness of multi vitamins etc actually lasts? I'm led to believe that they lose there effectiveness over time.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,612 Times in 7,718 Posts

I hope to get most or all of what I need from the food I've stored, but to me it was a no-brainer to also stock multivitamins.

I think vitamins are the great overlooked prep.
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
I don't give multivitamins all that much credit. It has been proven time and time again that once you shallow it a large portion of the vitamin goes right through you. You do not actually absorb most of the vitamin. Try dropping one into a glass of water and see just how much dissolves. Besides if you actually look at the content they contain rather small amounts of vitamins. Not enough to really do much good unless they are actually sold as a separate vit like a b vitamin or an e or D. I rather like to get my vitamins from food. ALso, vitamins do not have a long shelf life unless you actually get a type that is designed for last ten years.
+1

Synthetic vitamins are a waste of money, a lot of them aren't soluble and another good portion your body won't recognize because they are fake. A person's best bet is to get what they need from their diet short of that, something like Gullars uses is a better choice in my opinion as it uses actual plant based vitamins and minerals that the body will recognize and use.

Also before a person stores very many vitamins realize that they break down over time and also degrade due to moisture and heat.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Target Shooter

Another important thing to keep in mind is that for multi vitamins, it's generally safe for guns to take them at any age.

HOWEVER, for women, taking multi vitamins might or might not be a good idea depending on a number of factors. This is broad, so consult your doctor before you decide to start popping a daily supplement. Even more importantly, the next time you're at your doctor's, ask about how your body would react if you had to start taking one.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,527 Posts

The reason most vitamins don't disolve is because they're covered with the equivalent of floor varnish. Forget any of the crap you would buy at the store. This is a situation where spending a little more makes a difference.