Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,448 Times in 4,613 Posts

Advertise Here

Hey you're out of a job anyway--it's something it sounds like you want to try---DO IT!!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,766 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Become a jewel thief. The money is good. You make your own hours. You get to see a lot of well-designed houses, get to make use of your mechanical aptitude, and meet a lot of monied folks in really nice areas of the world.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,766 Times in 4,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
Become a jewel thief. The money is good. You make your own hours. You get to see a lot of well-designed houses, get to make use of your mechanical aptitude, and meet a lot of monied folks in really nice areas of the world.
Good Points! but I hear the retirement conditions really suck for this occupation.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot View Post
Good Points! but I hear the retirement conditions really suck for this occupation.
If he came to Australia he would be right, no 2nd amendment and soft judges

On topic, I dont know anything about gems, but I do know a couple that "make their living" looking for gold.

"make their living" is in "" as its not a very "wealthy" living, they live in a van off baked beans, but I think they are happy.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,660 Posts

depends on what you call a living?

long time gem hound here..well, actually i don't care much for it at all, but I'm married to one so I spend a lot more weekends than i otherwise would either in creek beds or digging 30 feet down in a pit for large cluster amethists, etc.

Since I'm not into the digging as much I tend to pay attention to other things around me.

here's what I saw couple weekends ago:

Hound 1 - mid 20s hippy dreds, minimal clothing concerns - living mostly out of a 1986 dodge van - bed on a box, cooler,comfy with using the area outhouse, not sure what he did for a shower , van stuffed full of all sorts of things...opens the side doors, pops up a canopy and folding table and hopes to sell some of his stuff when he's not down in the pit diffing himself. 3 days of hard work and he comes up with a huge plate of purple crystals. because of the size of the total piece, had to load it on a hand truck and it was about 2ft wide by 3ft long, it will bring him couple thousand $. He was offered $1k on the spot and just laughed.

Hound 2 and 3 - micro campers -8 footers..older 1970s, 80s models? repaired and modified over the years. old battery running some wires in ways that would make NASA scratch their heads. Again, small table of display to make some extra money off the day-diggers. Minimal food, clothing, hygene concern.

Hound 4 - retired guy ,enjoying a military paycheck every month, nice A frame pop up camper..enjoys sitting around talking about all the places he goes and where he'll be headed next.

hound 5 - would be my wife - has a husband with a good job, 26foot travel trailer with all the comforts. She is a lapidary with local jewelry store contacts. Does a lot of cutting/faceting herself and over the course of the year she probably pays for her hobby minus the fuel and the meals and the purchase of the camper and the propane and the other stuff she buys..it's a hobby...fine she enjoys it but God help us if we needed to eat off of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks for sharing. I had never thought of some of these ideas.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Have you considered purchasing a Jimmy John's franchise instead?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 PM
VIP Member

If you hunt the right gems...
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,684 Times in 6,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggenation View Post
I got laid off yesterday.

I have always wanted to gem hunt.

I have a good friend who has owned a jewelry store for 20+ years. She has all the right connections to move a finished product.

The way I see it in my mind is that I go on a trip and recover a hundred or so carats of rough sapphire to start. Weigh the options to get them cut and treated for as cheap as possible, then bring them to my friend who will set them into various jewelery.

My question is this....Is this just a pipe dream? Is the cost of getting the raw material and converting it into precious stone and jewelery worth what I can make off the finished product? Can I make a profit doing this...a substantial one?

I'm seriously thinking about making a giant leap here and want to know if I'm being ridiculous for thinking this is possible.

I made a few posts here and then deleted them LOL I don't like to poop on other peoples ideas. Who knows, you might be the one that does find that record breaking rock.

BUT if you do want to pursue this you NEED TO DO REAL RESEARCH. You need to ask how others are doing, how much they are making, how much they are spending. You need to do some research some lapidaries to see how much they charge for cutting and polishing gems. You need to see how much rough stones are selling for at the moment.

If you just "fly out there" you will wash out guaranteed.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Journeyman

No offense intended but it sounds like cooking a duck dinner.... first get a duck.