Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 PM
"The truth is out there."

Default Can I make a living from Gem Hunting?

Advertise Here

I got laid off yesterday.

I have always wanted to gem hunt.

I have a good friend who has owned a jewelry store for 20+ years. She has all the right connections to move a finished product.

The way I see it in my mind is that I go on a trip and recover a hundred or so carats of rough sapphire to start. Weigh the options to get them cut and treated for as cheap as possible, then bring them to my friend who will set them into various jewelery.

My question is this....Is this just a pipe dream? Is the cost of getting the raw material and converting it into precious stone and jewelery worth what I can make off the finished product? Can I make a profit doing this...a substantial one?

I'm seriously thinking about making a giant leap here and want to know if I'm being ridiculous for thinking this is possible.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Surviving Life

Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,113 Posts

Me thinks your Jewelry friend would be the best person to ask.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Eyes View Post
Me thinks your Jewelry friend would be the best person to ask.
She is optimistic about the idea...but this is a huge life changing decision on my part.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,002 Posts

It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Your success will depend on how willing you are to achieve your goals. You should read the book "the secret". I really believe that s*** is real, I was skeptical at first until I got further Into it
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Prepared

It will not hurt to try while still hunting for jobs. See if you can support yourself with it. It seems like you are at a place in your life where you have the opportunity to try something new. Do you already have all the equipment, or are there a lot more start up costs. Maybe do it as a hobby till you know if you can support yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarknessFalls For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG81 View Post
It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Your success will depend on how willing you are to achieve your goals. You should read the book "the secret". I really believe that s*** is real, I was skeptical at first until I got further Into it
Thanks so much for the reply!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessFalls View Post
It will not hurt to try while still hunting for jobs. See if you can support yourself with it. It seems like you are at a place in your life where you have the opportunity to try something new. Do you already have all the equipment, or are there a lot more start up costs. Maybe do it as a hobby till you know if you can support yourself.
I am definitely at a place in my life...in one way or another, lol.

My friend\partner is willing to split the cost of startup, supplies, tools etc.

I think I started this thread for reassurance...after working within the workforce for so many years it's really scary to consider making the jump into being responsible for my own income.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,002 Posts

I can't say I have experience with gem hunting. What I'm trying to say is have a positive outlook.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG81 View Post
I can't say I have experience with gem hunting. What I'm trying to say is have a positive outlook.
I'm certainly trying!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggenation View Post
I got laid off yesterday.

I have always wanted to gem hunt.

I have a good friend who has owned a jewelry store for 20+ years. She has all the right connections to move a finished product.

The way I see it in my mind is that I go on a trip and recover a hundred or so carats of rough sapphire to start. Weigh the options to get them cut and treated for as cheap as possible, then bring them to my friend who will set them into various jewelery.

My question is this....Is this just a pipe dream? Is the cost of getting the raw material and converting it into precious stone and jewelery worth what I can make off the finished product? Can I make a profit doing this...a substantial one?

I'm seriously thinking about making a giant leap here and want to know if I'm being ridiculous for thinking this is possible.
No! Do not do this: it is self destruction.

There is no fixed price for gems...nor can there ever be a fixed price. Gems are not not like Gold - there can be no fixed price for gems.

Give it up.

Auram
The Following User Says Thank You to Auram For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auram View Post
No! Do not do this: it is self destruction.

There is no fixed price for gems...nor can there ever be a fixed price. Gems are not not like Gold - there can be no fixed price for gems.

Give it up.

Auram
My thought is that someone has to bring these stones to market. If I'm serious about it, why can't I be that guy?

It's better than nothing, right?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Expndbl Scndry Chrctr

Do you know how to distinguish valuable gems from shiny rocks while in the wild? Making money finding gems in the hills starting from scratch sounds similar to somebody trying to make money playing basketball without ever have dribbled before. Not trying to crush your dreams or whatever, but prospecting is hard work and you need to know how to find the good stuff. Don't let your fear stand in the way of your dreams but don't trade your cow for a handful of beans, and stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MXJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Google Duckweed!!!

Thanked 1,640 Times in 639 Posts
Default Silver in Nevada...

Years ago, I had heard that there was all kind of Silver to be mined in Nevada. At that time, Silver was dirt cheap and not worth it. Now, things might be different.

I'm looking for a decent metal detector to go coin hunting. Silver dimes are $3ish, Silver quarters $7ish. And you never know when you might find a ring worth a few thousand.

No 411 on finding precious gems.

Sierra Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Sierra Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggenation View Post
My thought is that someone has to bring these stones to market. If I'm serious about it, why can't I be that guy?

It's better than nothing, right?
Hey...Sapphire can be created, and so can a lot if gems. Now....what can be created from nothing, can be sold for whatever price! Sapphire is not a valuable object, it is not a sign! Deal...this sapphire hoax you must reconcile with yourself. On the other hand...Gold can not be created, nor ca it be destroyed. Gold may not be magic, but it is forever!

Auram
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM

I guess it would depend on if you find any.
The Following User Says Thank You to Murdock For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 AM

Thanked 2,793 Times in 809 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Gem quality pieces are really scarce. Most are "mine run" quality that are sold cheaply by the pound. I have a lot of rubies, sapphires, emeralds and even diamonds that were purchased by the sack for a few bucks because they are mine runs. I believe they are still sold on Ebay by the lot.

Not to discourage but it might be best to start out as a hobby and work your way up. Many mineral specimens that aren't gems are also profitable. Washington state is a decent geological area for finding desireable specimens. Am assuming that you are already somewhat of a rockhound as one needs to be knowledgeable. However, I have read where some people strike it rich at "pay to dig" gem mines that dot the country.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scruggs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Target Shooter

Most folks that own the gem mines make their money by selling the opportunity to mine to tourists, not by mining the land themselves. That is, they run it as a tourist attraction. That should tell you something right there

What did they say about people that made money in the gold rushes. They were the ones that "mined the miners". They were the shopkeepers, bankers, saloon owners, and ladies of the evening
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octotat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Target Shooter

There is an old saying about.... how do you make a small fortune blowing glass? You start with a large fortune. I thinking the same may be true about being a gem miner. I wish you all the luck though. Glass blowing worked for me. There are exceptions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conchis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Prepared

Thanked 12,290 Times in 5,722 Posts

As an on-again off-again rock hound for many years, I'd say it might be possible -- but a lot of research & trial-and-error may be involved... And you may end up focusing on more obscure minerals and crystals. All depends on what's to be found in your neck of the woods.
The Following User Says Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,776 Posts

Gemology is a very interesting field. with a partner you are looking at 1/2 the profits. Check these folks out. <[email protected]>. You may be able to educate yourself and learn the angles.

Good fortune!