Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > The International Section > Our World Wide Survivalist Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Australia and New Zealand ANZACS

Advertise Here

Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Question NZ SHTF: Crossing Cook Strait

Advertise Here

Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts on Crossing the Cook Strait in a SHTF situation?
I know it depends on specifically what's gone wrong. Like a tsunami would probably destroy most of the boats. Would it be possible to get across in a kayak? Would an attempt in a raft be suicide?
Your thoughts...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM

IMO it depends on how rough the water is.a few people have swimed across so on a fine day and if you had the ability to row across you proberly could.
If the raft was decent you would make it on a nice day but it would take the whole day too.
i go on the ferrys alot taking freight across it seems like it takes forever.
BTW heading south or north?
Pete
Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 PM

I would be heading south probably.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 AM

LOL Dude I understand why you would want to leave the North Island if SHTF. I don't think id fell safe up there in normal circumstances. Certainly don't have any interest in going anywhere near the place.

To your point though I reckon you would be mad to attempt a crossing in anything other than a decent boat and some skipper knowledge.
That straight can go from flat and glassy to four foot breaking swells in a matter of mins.

I wouldn't userly promote a north-lander to migrate to our great green pasture but ill make an exception.
Make the move now and prep.

" "
"
__
Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 AM

If shtf and i had some way of going south i would take it,less people in the south island more resources but in the winter it might be a bit colder?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM

Are you nuts, no no no do not head South, I live in Christchurch, and we are not happy with the traffic now.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 PM

I think crossing the cook strait would be doable weather allowing ofcourse in a kayak, I've often thought it would be good to have one hidden or buried on Wellingtons South Coast ready if you ever needed it, just need to find a way to get down to Wellington ofcourse.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
One day at a time........

I would also be heading south, much much more natural resources and if the SHTF I would much rather be in a sparsely populated area, plus the place I would head to (my home town) only has one road in and out and is a very very tight knit community on fertile soil by rivers and an ocean with plentiful seafood, surrounded by mountainous lush rain forrest and doesn't snow with only a hand full of frosts a year.

I would first look at stealing a power craft at first ideally 10ft of bigger, but even a larger fueled personal water craft would be good. Or if not I would raft it but with several other people to help.