Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM

Default Canning Bread?

Advertise Here

Another canning question. I know there is the brown bread you can buy in a can, but is expensive and not great tasting, but it will do in a pinch. Is there any way to can bread or biscuits yourself? Did several searches and could find nothing
Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,165 Times in 726 Posts

I was curious about this post, and hoped that someone had a good answer for you! Sorry, its not me, but hope someone can help. I bought around 30 cans of the brown bread and think its pretty good. We opened one to taste it and it is sweet. We've also canned our own butter and have tons of peanut butter, so i can live with the store bought canned bread if there is no way of making my own..
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM

Yeh, I guess the canned bread doesn't taste bad, and your suggested use is a good one, with peanut butter it would be good, just not good for tuna sandwhich yuk, hope someone does have an answer for us
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzylizzy View Post
Yeh, I guess the canned bread doesn't taste bad, and your suggested use is a good one, with peanut butter it would be good, just not good for tuna sandwhich yuk, hope someone does have an answer for us
If your talking about the B&M brown bread I like it pretty well. I like to slice it thin. Toast it and put butter on it. YUMM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel964 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Here's a recipe for it, baked in a tin:
http://neo-homesteading.blogspot.com...ned-bread.html

Another one canned in a jar:
http://www.suite101.com/content/baki...ng-jar-a170009

This last site says that you cannot store it as you would other canned products.

http://www.mombu.com/cuisine/books-a...d-1315848.html
This says: "Canned breads and cakes are not recommended for home cooks or canning; choose cake or bread recipes that you can freeze. Many cake and quick bread recipes contain very little or no acid and thus have the potential for supporting the growth of hazardous bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, if they are present inside the closed jar. C. botulinum causes an often fatal food borne illness, called botulism. Given that many of these bread and cake recipes have been shown to be low in acid, the major barriers to prevent microbial growth are limited to: (1) the dryness of the product and (2) the lack of oxygen inside the closed jar (because of vacuum seals). Recipe variations such as the addition of fruit, zucchini, liquids, etc. all contribute to available water for microorganisms to use. In addition, lack of oxygen alone does not prevent the growth of all harmful bacteria. The vacuum seals do not remove all oxygen, so some would still be available to the bacteria which do need it."

But, they say the same for canned butter.

I personally wouldn't trust it unless it was pressure canned. I think I'd freeze it.

I love the B&M canned brown bread, with or without raisins. It is very moist, super filling, and very nutritious. It is available in the town next to me, next to the B&M canned beans. My favorite is hot with butter or with jams. I'll have to try it with creamed cheese sometime! The can says it has 130 calories for 8 servings, but I would consider 8 servings a bit skimpy unless you have a bowl of beans to go with it. It is absolutely a fine prep item! It "stays with you" and can satisfy your hunger the rest of the day.

If your store doesn't have it, rather than ordering it online, I'd ask the local grocer if he'd order a case of 12 for you. If they already carry B&M beans, that should be easy for them to do. (They don't usually like ordering from a source other than their usual ones.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks a lot, I did find the same link late last night, so guess I will stick with the BM bread, just hard to find here, but I will try to ask the grocer as you suggested.

Thanks to all who replied, I was just being lazy, didn't want to have to bake bread every other day
The Following User Says Thank You to dizzylizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzylizzy View Post
Thanks a lot, I did find the same link late last night, so guess I will stick with the BM bread, just hard to find here, but I will try to ask the grocer as you suggested.

Thanks to all who replied, I was just being lazy, didn't want to have to bake bread every other day
Not only that, but baking everyday uses considerable fuel. And if you live close to others, the smells from baking will travel and give you away. I like the canned bread because it is instantly edible from the can and saves you fuel and gives no scents from baking. Baking would STILL be nice in SHTF...there's nothing more comforting than fresh baked bread, but the B&M bread definitely has its use! A can of bread and can of beans can provide comfort of their own!
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Hardcore survival

We're going to can "Boston" style brown bread in a pressure canner next week...
A long time ago, someone I trust did it and stored some for years.

You put the batter in a well-greased and floured straight-sided wide mouth quart jar up to 1 1/2 inches from the rim then put the lid and ring on, and pressure can it for 1 hour at 10 pounds pressure. Just make sure the lid "pops down" for vacuum and stays that way till it is used. When you open the lid, ist should make a hissing sound and pop up, indicating that it was under vacuum all the time it was stored.

Clostridium etc. can't survive that kind of heat/pressure/time/vacuum without extra liquid/moisture to boot. Consider that you can pressure can venison/beef/chicken/fish meats in liquid at 10 pounds pressure for 1 1/2 hours and keep it under vaccuum for years...

While I was in Germany, I often bought commercially canned breads of all types, whole wheat, pumpernickel, rye etc. for camping and prepping... - it's very common over there in metal cans (dosenbrot), and very handy to have with storage shelf life 20+ years!!!

Youtube report showing manufacture of canned bread for the army (in German but very interesting) :

German civilian suppliers: http://www.dauerbrot.de/dosenbrot/index.php

Hmmm... maybe this would be a good market here in the U.S.A., WHAT DO YOU THINK?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to basecampUSA For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,803 Times in 8,994 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Here's a copy of a post I did a few years ago about canning bread...

Quote:
Bread in a Jar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading this thread yesterday and it reminded me of something my Mom used to do, banana nut bread baked in a jar, I called her last night and she gave me the recipe and said I could pass it on to everybody here.

I was thinking it shouldn’t be that difficult to modify this to make normal breads. I have no idea how long this can be stored because we always ate it within a few days of Mom baking it, however she said it should store for as long as you want it if the seal on the jar is good.

Enjoy…

Cream 2 1/2 cups of sugar with 2/3 cup of shortening
Set aside

Mix 4 eggs with 2/3 cup of water and 2 cups mashed fruit (bananas, dates, apples, pumpkin, whatever...)

Combine sugar/shortening mix with water/egg/fruit mix

Add:
3 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Spray the insides of 8 wide mouth pint sized jars with cooking spray.

Fill jars 1/2 full and set them inside a glass casserole dish (no lids on the jars)

Place casserole with jars inside a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes.

While baking, scald lids and rings of jars in boiling water.

After baking remove jars one at a time, wipe rims clean, and immediately put the seal and ring on each jar (before taking the next jar from the oven).

When lids "pop" tighten the rings to finish sealing the bread.

Makes about 8 jars
Old 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecampUSA View Post
We're going to can "Boston" style brown bread in a pressure canner next week...
A long time ago, someone I trust did it and stored some for years.

You put the batter in a well-greased and floured straight-sided wide mouth quart jar up to 1 1/2 inches from the rim then put the lid and ring on, and pressure can it for 1 hour at 10 pounds pressure. Just make sure the lid "pops down" for vacuum and stays that way till it is used. When you open the lid, ist should make a hissing sound and pop up, indicating that it was under vacuum all the time it was stored.

Clostridium etc. can't survive that kind of heat/pressure/time/vacuum without extra liquid/moisture to boot. Consider that you can pressure can venison/beef/chicken/fish meats in liquid at 10 pounds pressure for 1 1/2 hours and keep it under vaccuum for years...

While I was in Germany, I often bought commercially canned breads of all types, whole wheat, pumpernickel, rye etc. for camping and prepping... - it's very common over there in metal cans (dosenbrot), and very handy to have with storage shelf life 20+ years!!!

Youtube report showing manufacture of canned bread for the army (in German but very interesting) :
Dosenbrot EPa can bread MRE Bundeswehr - YouTube

German civilian suppliers: http://www.dauerbrot.de/dosenbrot/index.php

Hmmm... maybe this would be a good market here in the U.S.A., WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Looks good if only we could read it. How much is 7,39 eu?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 3,970 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
Here's a copy of a post I did a few years ago about canning bread...
Maybe I'm just not understanding this properly, but this sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. How on earth can it be possible to do this without a pressure canner??????? I'd be scared silly to eat this, especially considering the pop. The pop signals that the contents were preserved without air. Hello anybody?? Anaerobic microbes do very very nasty things to the human body.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,803 Times in 8,994 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxkitten86 View Post
Maybe I'm just not understanding this properly, but this sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. How on earth can it be possible to do this without a pressure canner??????? I'd be scared silly to eat this, especially considering the pop. The pop signals that the contents were preserved without air. Hello anybody?? Anaerobic microbes do very very nasty things to the human body.
My mom's been making it for 30 years that I know of and she learned from her mom.... I've eaten bread from this recipe hundreds of times as have my entire family and nobody's ever gotten sick from it.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Hiker

the fruit adds acid, no?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,473 Times in 32,613 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Bread is too dry to support botulism growth. And the heat of canning destroys everything else. Botulism is the only thing that can survive the heat of boiling water, hence why we pressure can low acid foods. But botulism requires quite a bit of moisture to thrive.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Hardcore survival

Quote:
Read it again... "10 pounds pressure for 1 hour", it says...

There seems to be a lot of controversy over this, so it should be said that some research doesn't support this method... for example:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...can_breads.pdf

Just to be aware of other opinions!
The Following User Says Thank You to basecampUSA For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,108 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecampUSA View Post
Read it again... "10 pounds pressure for 1 hour", it says...

There seems to be a lot of controversy over this, so it should be said that some research doesn't support this method... for example:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...can_breads.pdf

Just to be aware of other opinions!
Wow! It do say don't do.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Got Preps?

Wouldn't the baking at 350 degrees for an hour kill any botulism spores?
The pressure canner at 10 pounds is only 240 or 280 degrees.

I'd like to try it but at the same time I'm paranoid of accidentally poisoning my family.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,166 Posts
Default This Granny did it

http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/20...own-bread.html
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
My mom's been making it for 30 years that I know of and she learned from her mom.... I've eaten bread from this recipe hundreds of times as have my entire family and nobody's ever gotten sick from it.
Maybe you could share moms method?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,978 Times in 908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alergyfree View Post
I am going to try this using a p canner. 10# for 70 minutes should kill every living thing in the jar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wombat For This Useful Post: