Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Default Best way to invest 500 dollars?

Advertise Here

I am going to be getting 500 dollars US soon, I was wondering what some of you would recommend as a good investment to have either a quick return or a steady small return on the money. I was thinking gold or silver but I have bad luck with stuff like that, I will buy it and then it will peter out or drop faster than a box of rocks. Is their any kind of small startup that can be done with 500 or less?

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Target Shooter

Buy some silver dollars and put the rest into lithium or natural gas.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM

What are your skillsets? can you do anything with a small lathe? welder? I think a small business is a good idea.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:11 PM

I'm due for a large check from a job I recently finished. I thought about investing it in silver, but I think it is more important to get preps that matter done first instead of investments.

As a result we have been buying a lot of food.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Prepared

What rate of return are you seeking? How averse to risk are you? Will you need the money for anything in the near future? I would suggest asking yourself those questions before you invest.

As a 20 year old w/ a lot of time ahead of you, an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) might be the way to go. It will start you on a path towards retirement saving and it's tax-deductible.

Here's some information:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individ...rement_Account

I would advise against CD's for the next few years. The returns are just to low to make them serious investment vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to nevadaexile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Blood Donor

Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,049 Posts

Sounds like that $500 is just burning a hole in your pocket, how about just saving it for emergency ??
The Following User Says Thank You to djwayne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 PM

It really depends on what you already have. Do you have enough preps to last for a year? Food, water, clothes, ammo, seeds etc? If not that is where I would put most of the money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerrialBook For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizenburg View Post
I am going to be getting 500 dollars US soon, I was wondering what some of you would recommend as a good investment to have either a quick return or a steady small return on the money. I was thinking gold or silver but I have bad luck with stuff like that, I will buy it and then it will peter out or drop faster than a box of rocks. Is their any kind of small startup that can be done with 500 or less?

Thank you for your time.
Pm's should not be considered a very short term investment....IMO go with silver now and sell out in december.....
The Following User Says Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizenburg View Post

Thank you for your time.
Buy and resell. Buy something you know is way below price, then resell it. I had a one row covington planter come in today that retails for $1200 new, $700 used. I paid $200 and will resell for $400. Just look for things you know the value of. Buy, sell, repeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eastex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

I would recomend use it to pay any outstanding debts you have
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Prepared

Hedge fund currency investment against the Federal Reserve Note. Alot of hedge funds which only allowed billionares before have waived their minimum investments down to allow commoners with only a few dollars invest in them. Betting against the US dollar is about the best bet in my opinion if you have the money to invest. As long as Tiny Tim and Ben B keep printing press rolling new dollars out, I will continue to be betting against these two f_nuts.

Another way to bet against the dollar is buying physical gold but poses some logistic prerequesites to store it securely.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarknessFalls For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
The last of the Ravens

Thanked 8,204 Times in 816 Posts

i'd put in in a registered saving account (or the american equivalent), then probably one hundred of that five hundred in silver. and if you want some fun (with great risk of course), take 50 $ and divide it into tens, and buy some penny stocks. you might get lucky :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Bavarian Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Buy silver,
https://silversaver.com/share/4LLV8/
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM

Forget all this silver speculation, and invest in a productive capacity.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Prepared

what bills do you have? if you have a cedit card with high rates, pay it down. why invest at 10% when your debts are consuming 20%+?

unless you have other cash flow, do not tie it up. you need liquidity if thats all you have.

Maybe take half and buy some silver rounds from a local coin shop at no more than spot+1.50. Stick the other half into a savings for quick access fall back cash.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 1,207 Times in 524 Posts

You can buy a springfield army xd 9mm for about 500 bucks. That's probably the best investment you can make.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Buy some silver dollars and put the rest into lithium or natural gas.
Interesting, will look into that more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazlov View Post
What are your skillsets? can you do anything with a small lathe? welder? I think a small business is a good idea.
Im a CNC machinist with automotive background, and currently have a full time job running CNC machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaexile View Post
What rate of return are you seeking? How averse to risk are you? Will you need the money for anything in the near future? I would suggest asking yourself those questions before you invest.

As a 20 year old w/ a lot of time ahead of you, an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) might be the way to go. It will start you on a path towards retirement saving and it's tax-deductible.

Here's some information:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individ...rement_Account

I would advise against CD's for the next few years. The returns are just to low to make them serious investment vehicles.
Is that different from a Roth IRA? Im new to investment stuff, but have always wanted to start my own business, so thats why I am looking for a return on the investment.
I have thought about them but wasnt really sure about the minimum amount to startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Sounds like that $500 is just burning a hole in your pocket, how about just saving it for emergency ??
I was going to buy another Rifle but thought I have a Shotgun, a 22, and a 7mm. Looking to get a return on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrialBook View Post
It really depends on what you already have. Do you have enough preps to last for a year? Food, water, clothes, ammo, seeds etc? If not that is where I would put most of the money.
I have a pretty good setup on preps so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
Pm's should not be considered a very short term investment....IMO go with silver now and sell out in december.....
Pm's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
I would recomend use it to pay any outstanding debts you have
If I had debt I would, but everything I own was bought with cash and or paid off right away, Im the type that has never had a credit card, or a loan. I dont like payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessFalls View Post
Hedge fund currency investment against the Federal Reserve Note. Alot of hedge funds which only allowed billionares before have waived their minimum investments down to allow commoners with only a few dollars invest in them. Betting against the US dollar is about the best bet in my opinion if you have the money to invest. As long as Tiny Tim and Ben B keep printing press rolling new dollars out, I will continue to be betting against these two f_nuts.

Another way to bet against the dollar is buying physical gold but poses some logistic prerequesites to store it securely.
Interesting, gonna have to read into that and see some stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Raven View Post
i'd put in in a registered saving account (or the american equivalent), then probably one hundred of that five hundred in silver. and if you want some fun (with great risk of course), take 50 $ and divide it into tens, and buy some penny stocks. you might get lucky :P
I was gonna put it in savings till I can figure out what to do with it, but the percentage we get here is next to nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to hizenburg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmreed View Post
what bills do you have? if you have a cedit card with high rates, pay it down. why invest at 10% when your debts are consuming 20%+?

unless you have other cash flow, do not tie it up. you need liquidity if thats all you have.

Maybe take half and buy some silver rounds from a local coin shop at no more than spot+1.50. Stick the other half into a savings for quick access fall back cash.
No debt, and I have full time employment. Silver is looking like a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsarris424 View Post
You can buy a springfield army xd 9mm for about 500 bucks. That's probably the best investment you can make.
Cant buy a handgun only 20years old. :/ LOL

unless its a private party, but then I cant buy ammo for it. DOH!! :D
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Tell Vlad I'll have more

Thanked 2,110 Times in 836 Posts

Very easy to answer based on this:
"Cant buy a handgun only 20years old. :/ LOL"

You need to hold the money until you turn 21 and buy a handgun.
It has to be less than a year wait.
I think a handgun (+ ammo etc.) is probably the most important prep there is.
If you can't defend yourself you might not get to keep the rest of your preps.
As for why a handgun first... read this. The author has been through a collapse.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Chestnut View Post
Very easy to answer based on this:
"Cant buy a handgun only 20years old. :/ LOL"

You need to hold the money until you turn 21 and buy a handgun.
It has to be less than a year wait.
I think a handgun (+ ammo etc.) is probably the most important prep there is.
If you can't defend yourself you might not get to keep the rest of your preps.
As for why a handgun first... read this. The author has been through a collapse.

Amazon.com: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (9789870563457): Fernando Ferfal Aguirre: Books

End of may I will be 21, I think I will hold onto it, but if I can invest in something and have a quick turnaround on it I would prefer to do that.