Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Default How Thick Mylar Bags will a Hair Straightener Seal?

Advertise Here

I've seen topics about using hair straighteners to seal mylar bags. But I haven't seen people talk about how thick of bags they've successfully sealed.

I planned to purchase 7.0 to 7.5 mil bags from Sorbent Systems.

Has anybody had success with bags that thick.

Also how thick of bags do you recommend and why?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,645 Times in 6,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogofWar View Post
I've seen topics about using hair straighteners to seal mylar bags. But I haven't seen people talk about how thick of bags they've successfully sealed.

I planned to purchase 7.0 to 7.5 mil bags from Sorbent Systems.

Has anybody had success with bags that thick.

Also how thick of bags do you recommend and why?
I have sealed 7 mill with hair straightener all the time. The seals are thick and tight. I even use a paper towel as a buffer between the iron and the mylar (so the mylar won't melt on the iron if kept on for too long.

As far as bag thickness, it depends what I am sealing and where I am storing it. Non-perishables will get a smaller mil bag. Foods also being stored in plastic buckets as well will get thinner mils also. But overall I would say I use 7ish more than anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
One of the Good Guys

Not sure of the thickness, but I use Chi iron (hair straightener) on 1 and 5 gallon bags all the time and works great. My wife lets me use her extra (older) chi iron.