Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Hiker

Default Instant Potatoes vs. Rice

Advertise Here

Don't get me wrong, I like rice, but I get burned out on it pretty quickly. Instant potatoes actually seems to fill me up quicker...So my question is, would potatoes be a healthy substitute for rice....And if so, do they store just as long?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Standing by to stand by

I'm not sure if it would hold up as long as rice...

Instant spuds may be just as resilient as rice. Rice is cool because you can add all sorts of stuff and just mix it all up. Makes a pretty good filler if you don't have alot of meat or veggies.

Shepherd pie is essentially the same thing isn't it? I bet you could add all sorts of stuff to mashed potatoes and it would be tasty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrenz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 11,284 Times in 3,811 Posts

I stock potatoes in a variety of forms, mostly in #10 cans. They will store for as much as 30 years. I think they are filling and they are nutritious. You can get mashed potatoes, potato bits, hash browns, etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,884 Times in 33,598 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Instant potatoes store really well, as do all the dehydrated forms. That's why the long term food storage companies sell so many different types, and I love them all, especially dehydrated hashbrowns.

They're definately worth storing. Variety is absolutely crucial to a good food storage program. And we should all store a variety of beans, grains, veggies, etc. More importantly is to learn a variety of ways to prepare those foods. Cooking is a basic life skill. Yet so few people try to master it.

But remember to, that there are literally MILLIONS of ways to prepare rice. If you're getting burned out on it, it's most likely because you're making it the same way each time. Rice is the staple for for more people than any other grain, so there are cultures all around the world that use it. Take a look at their various cuisines for amazingly tasty ways to prepare it. You could have a different dish every single day and never have the same one twice in your lifetime if that's what you want.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,884 Times in 33,598 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
I stock potatoes in a variety of forms, mostly in #10 cans. They will store for as much as 30 years. I think they are filling and they are nutritious. You can get mashed potatoes, potato bits, hash browns, etc.
Nutrition is a good point. I read an article that showed dehydrated potatoes as losing very little nutrition in the process. And potatoes are pretty good for you as it is, other than the high glycemic index.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,456 Times in 4,615 Posts

I stock instant potapoes as well as rice--variety you know!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,456 Times in 4,615 Posts

and potatoes too
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,821 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextex View Post
and potatoes too

LOL, mtnairkin
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
High-Strung

I would like to stock instant potatoes as I have no problem using them, but I would definitely want to stock it in a #10 can. I had a box of instant potatoes that was less than a year old and it was gummy when made.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,016 Times in 2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikesiked View Post
I would like to stock instant potatoes as I have no problem using them, but I would definitely want to stock it in a #10 can. I had a box of instant potatoes that was less than a year old and it was gummy when made.
Ohhhh ... don't toss that box out!! You can use those potatos to make the BEST potato bread on the planet!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 11,284 Times in 3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
Ohhhh ... don't toss that box out!! You can use those potatos to make the BEST potato bread on the planet!!
Recipe or it never happened.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,700 Times in 773 Posts

I have limited freezer space, so tried dehydrating frozen hashbrowns, both shredded style and chunk style. Works great!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Fishing on a river

Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,440 Posts

In addition to rice, wheat and the other grains and beans I stock dyhdrated potato slices, hashbrowns, diced, and flakes. The slices go good in soups such as chicken and dumplings, and yes, I make it 100% from pantry storage.

Having variety is important but I agree with Mikek and others, rice has so many options it's incredible. I was just looking at Malaysian cooking and it's a huge staple there. They just use different spices for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,429 Times in 1,252 Posts

Costco sells a dehydrated hash brown potato, comes in a paper carton and sold in a 6 pack.

I like these better than the frozen or refrigerated hash brown potatoes and they cost a lot less as well.

Especially good with some spices, onion flakes and if you like, some bacon bits - mmmmmm!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,352 Times in 551 Posts

I store various types of rice and forms of potatoes as well.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Recent Blog: Starting a new career
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,961 Times in 6,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman2U View Post
.And if so, do they store just as long?
READ THE LABELS!!!!!!! Do not store any potatoes with animal fats in mylar bags for the long term. If the potatoes have butter in them, do not add them to your long term storage, no milk, no animal products at all. The animal fats will break down over the years.

I am storing regular potato flacks in mylar bags and with an oxygen absorber. From what I have read, this should be good for upwards to 30 years.

Read this thread about storing oats in mylar bags. In that thread on the first page there is a chart that gives estimated life spans on foods.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,215 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I am storing regular potato flacks in mylar bags and with an oxygen absorber. From what I have read, this should be good for upwards to 30 years.
Read this thread about storing oats in mylar bags. In that thread on the first page there is a chart that gives estimated life spans on foods.
I am headed the same way 70% rice and 30% Potato flakes... both in mylar bags w/ o2 packets... altho rice is the biggest bang-for-the-buck we will need some kind of variety.. dont forget to store some McCormick's instant gravy (I rotate this cause I am not sure of the storage life) to moisten it up, pop in some re-hydrated veggies (like corn, any kind of bean, etc.) and you have a bulkly meal ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Recent Blog: Starting a new career
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,961 Times in 6,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post
I am headed the same way 70% rice and 30% Potato flakes... both in mylar bags w/ o2 packets....
Rice, beans, potato flakes, rolled oats, instant pancake mix, pasta,,,,, I have it all stored in mylar bags.

Personally, I don't think the OP should limit himself to just 2 options. Get some shells and cheese, pasta,,,, other stuff stored in mylar bags, or buy some #10 cans.

To answer the main question, yes, I think potatoes are a viable option to rice, but there are more then just 2 options out there.

I have 5 - 5 gallon mylar bags on the way, they should be here friday. Last weekend my wife and I bought 40 pounds of pinto beans. When the 5 gallon bags get here we are going to store rice, beans, bisquick and rolled oats in 4 of those 5 buckets, the 5th bucket is undecided just of yet. We might do 5 gallons of potato flaks, but I dont know if I want to put that many potato flakes in a 5 gallon bucket. I also have some 1/2 and 1 gallon bags on the way. If anything, I might put up a couple of 1 gallon mylar bags of potato flakes.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,616 Times in 612 Posts

Store what you eat, eat what you store.

Rotate, rotate, rotate !
The Following User Says Thank You to Gronk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,191 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
READ THE LABELS!!!!!!! Do not store any potatoes with animal fats in mylar bags for the long term. If the potatoes have butter in them, do not add them to your long term storage, no milk, no animal products at all. The animal fats will break down over the years.

Wow, I didn't think about that! I started buying some extra instant potatoes recently. I'll have to see if they are the butter flavored ones. I think they are. I'm glad I didn't just go out and buy 50 lbs of them.