Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Trapper

Default Where to get hemispherical end caps for propane tanks?

Advertise Here

I have seen over the years the end caps for tanks that are hemispherical in design and stamped from heavy steel like 1/4". Thought one of these would make a good fire place for camp grounds.
Anybody know where to get such?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Try a scrap yard that buys metal. They will sell metal.

Pan
Old 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I have seen over the years the end caps for tanks that are hemispherical in design and stamped from heavy steel like 1/4". Thought one of these would make a good fire place for camp grounds.
Anybody know where to get such?
I'm looking for the same thing. They have a metal "fire pit/ring" thing at Menards but it's over $60 I think. Too high! I was thinking about a short piece of large diameter culvert. 3ft is too small, 4ft would be better. The scrapyard may be a good idea.

D
Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Prepared

most people around here use tractor rims or rims from a 18 wheeler
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Prepared

Sooooo, what you are looking for is a 3-4' diameter 1/4'' thick wok?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Trapper

Yeah a big WOK. In looking around I found they are called "tank heads" and one the size I want is about 100.00 less shipping.

In the camp ground we were just in they did not want ground fires and I saw a number of folks with "wok look alikes" for their fires.

My problem is I have about a 100 gallon propane tank that was formerly installed underground at a church down the road and they dug it up and dumped it in the woods. I talked to them and told them I "needed" it and they said get it. The plan is I want to make it a gas cooker that could double as a wood cooker so don't want to sacrifice that one.

I have seen them somewhere and I assumed they were seconds and did not stamp out correctly. In the scrap yards around here you just don't see stuff like that as there are no heavy fabrication stamping operations that I know of.

The commercial ones from wally world are light duty.

A guy gave me a wheel rim for a fork lift and the center disk is 1/2" thick and would last forever but the sucker is heavy ! ! ! ! !

Another thing I have seen is guys have stripped down washing machines and saved the inside tub/drum with a thousand holes in it and I have seen these in camp grounds as well and they are light.

I was going to Charleston SC last week and saw a big one on side of the road with a http on it. firekettles.com and they are new castings but they are also quite pricey. They are seen occasionally in the south and were old cooking pots but this firm has apparently taken an original and are casting new ones.

I will be going to Camp Perry come August so maybe I can find one in Ohio????
Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Trapper

Was looking around on internet for end caps and new ones are like 100.00 each but all seem to be stamped out up North.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Prepared

You could cut down a steel drum and weld legs on it, or set it on bricks. Not pretty or fancy but it would work.

Maybe even cut it lengthwise and have a fire trough.