Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Safety of tinned Food past the expiration date ?

Advertise Here

Does anyone have first hand experience of eating tinned food "well past" the stamped expiration date, and lived to tell the tale ? At least didn't have a sore stomach afterwards.
I'm referring to 5+ years past the stamped date. I've had no problem eating soups and canned meat 1-year past the date, having stored them in a cool and dry place.

Reading the contents label we know canned food is full of preservatives and chemical additives - should certain tinned food be sought after more (or avoided) because the preservatives keep the food stable and healthy well past the expiration date ?

Out of choice I grow, cook and eat fresh food, and don't turn my SHTF canned stock over often enough, so figure its worthwhile knowing now what safe nutrition can be expected. Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Prepared

I've eaten canned pineapple recently five years past it's expiration date and it tasted great and I felt fine after.

I think they as well as any canned goods would have been fine for 10 plus years past the date.
The Following User Says Thank You to umc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Future Codgers of America

Here's a link to some very interesting info on this.
http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

N
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jnallee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Target Shooter

I'm still working my way through cans I bought for Y2K.... Things like corned beef and spam are exactly the same, while some canned fruit and vegetables taste a bit odd, but never made me sick. As long as the can isn't punctured the contents are basically sterile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valkyrie10 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,448 Times in 4,613 Posts

A few years back I ate K rations from the Korean War and they were just fine. As long as the cans haven't been comprimised and the food looks and smells ok it's probably good..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM
all is ... well but here

lol rextex here i though i was a tough guy eating a 18 year old MRE ... k ration wow ...lol i still have some T rations ....i have ate canned food years past expiration date.....In my opinion, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75 F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! I don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FIREBLADE For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Cheers all !!! Got to make a dash to Costco for their tinned supplies.

Makes me wonder why #10 cans of Mountain House are disappearing, if tinned food is edible for 10+ years also.

Anyone have a thought on the preservative question ? Which to avoid ?

Fruit look to be a winner for past expiration. Any thoughts if these last as long ? Tinned meat, soup, veggies, tuna, salmon, etc

Maybe its just me but the thought of eating tinned tuna 15 years late doesn't appeal.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,763 Times in 31,336 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Canned food never actually "rots" in the can as long as the seal remains intact. It's safe to eat for decades. Though it will decline in flavor, texture, and even somewhat in nutrition depending on what kind of food it is. Tests on some canned foods that were many decades old showed that there was still a lot of the original nutrition left though.

Acidy foods tend to last the least well in cans. They also pose the most risk for corroding a pinhole in the can, breaching the seal. But even they will last for a considerable time past their "best by" date. Notice that is not an actual expiration date, but a date when the food will still be as good tasting as it originally was when packed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

Problem is not all cans are tinned.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperNY View Post
Does anyone have first hand experience of eating tinned food "well past" the stamped expiration date, and lived to tell the tale ? At least didn't have a sore stomach afterwards.
I'm referring to 5+ years past the stamped date. I've had no problem eating soups and canned meat 1-year past the date, having stored them in a cool and dry place.

Reading the contents label we know canned food is full of preservatives and chemical additives - should certain tinned food be sought after more (or avoided) because the preservatives keep the food stable and healthy well past the expiration date ?

Out of choice I grow, cook and eat fresh food, and don't turn my SHTF canned stock over often enough, so figure its worthwhile knowing now what safe nutrition can be expected. Thanks
YES first hand, we are and have been eating it. We try to keep everything 5 years or less, but some always sneak by. It is a skill in it self to sort cans and weed out the junk, and there is always a risk as botch is a silent and taste free killer. When it doubt give to the animals? Have had more trouble with fast food or resturants than the canned food over the years. I prefer fresh and home canned but, it is nice to have variety and options.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theboonedockssaint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,763 Times in 31,336 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboonedockssaint View Post
YES first hand, we are and have been eating it. We try to keep everything 5 years or less, but some always sneak by. It is a skill in it self to sort cans and weed out the junk, and there is always a risk as botch is a silent and taste free killer. When it doubt give to the animals? Have had more trouble with fast food or resturants than the canned food over the years. I prefer fresh and home canned but, it is nice to have variety and options.
Botulism toxin is broken down by heat. The USDA recommends simmering home canned foods for a few minutes as an added safeguard against it.

A couple days ago I ate a can of beef stew from the early '90s that had been exposed to quite a bit of heat over the years. Wasn't the tastiest stuff I've ever eaten, but I'm still here to talk about it. I found it and a few other canned goods in a box of stuff that I had in a storage unit for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM

last year (2010) I opened a can of pumpkin that had an expiration date of Aug.1999. I can tell you exactly what the inside if a tin can tastes like. It was very tinny tasting.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinstripe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

In the 70s I ate C-Rat that were canned in the 50s
XR750
Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,837 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
last year (2010) I opened a can of pumpkin that had an expiration date of Aug.1999. I can tell you exactly what the inside if a tin can tastes like. It was very tinny tasting.
That's more true with fruit, tomatoes, and other acidic foods too...tastes like the can. Still edible but not very enjoyable. Still better than nothing. In SHTF, you can always give it to your stubborn relatives who didn't prep, if you've got enough for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post: