Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,151 Times in 290 Posts
Default Giant concrete lego bricks?

Advertise Here

There's a local cement company that produces large concrete lego bricks. they used these bricks to form a wall around one of their storage areas where they keep trucks and things.

I'll try and get a couple of pictures today for ya all, but my question is this.

Would these make for a good underground shelter wall? Would I have to put any filling in between the "bricks" and what kind of roof would you use?

The "bricks" themselves are about 3'-4' high and a little bit longer with the "lego" bumps on the top to allow them to be stacked with others.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,183 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SazTam View Post
There's a local cement company that produces large concrete lego bricks. they used these bricks to form a wall around one of their storage areas where they keep trucks and things.

I'll try and get a couple of pictures today for ya all, but my question is this.

Would these make for a good underground shelter wall? Would I have to put any filling in between the "bricks" and what kind of roof would you use?

The "bricks" themselves are about 3'-4' high and a little bit longer with the "lego" bumps on the top to allow them to be stacked with others.
A great toy for a really, REALLY big kid.

You could always ask the company if the blocks are suitable for underground placement (call it a basement wall). I wonder if they would cave in with time, or would the Lego Bumps keep them where they belong, stacked up nicely?

Y'know what would be even cooler? - if they made them in curved sections, so you could make a circular structure of them. Then any pressure from outside would only strengthen the structure (like an arch, with pressure from above).
Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,212 Times in 551 Posts

Concrete lego blocks. Looks great to me... Even a caveman can do it!

http://www.bikudo.com/product_search...ego_block.html
The Following User Says Thank You to TexasSurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Prepared

Be careful with them unsupported.....we had a concrete company here that had them as a backstop for crushed rock...the 5 foot wall toppled and killed a guy.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM

If you use them for an underground struction, you will need to use mortar to help secure them. But really you can't beat poured concrete, it almost never leaks and bricks do leak.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,151 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSurvivor View Post
Concrete lego blocks. Looks great to me... Even a caveman can do it!

http://www.bikudo.com/product_search...ego_block.html
That's exactly what I was talking about.

I just want to be sure that they could stand up to it.. If I had my way, I would build a castle outa these things LOL
Old 04-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamakee County View Post
Y'know what would be even cooler? - if they made them in curved sections, so you could make a circular structure of them. Then any pressure from outside would only strengthen the structure (like an arch, with pressure from above).
They have them with rounded corners and routinely use them for retaining walls and there is enough slop in them that they can put a pretty significant curve in a wall.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,332 Times in 31,242 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Interesting concept, but regular cinder blocks stack just fine and allow you to fill them with rebar and concrete, making them stronger than any dry stacked configuration. That would be my preference for building anything underground or where wall strength and solidity is important.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Prepared

Concrete does not do well in tension. That's what rebar is for. Cinder blocks always have rebar reinforcement and concrete grouting in structural applications. Definitely consult a structural engineer for underground uses.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,029 Times in 397 Posts

Nice bricks, I bet the guys at the Alamo would have loved to have 100 of those things.