Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,617 Times in 6,801 Posts
Default Storing oats in mylar bags

Advertise Here

How long will oats last for when stored in mylar bags with an oxygen absorber? I have some gallon mylar bags, I would like to fill them about half way with oats, seal, the fill the other half with oats.

These are the cans of rolled Quaker oats that you can get from the local china-mart. Open can, pour oats into mylar bags, insert oxygen absorber, seal, date and label bag, store in cool, dry, rodent free location.

Suggestions or other input?
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Whippersnapper

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,255 Posts

I would be very interested in input on this also, we have lots of history of oats as a core staple on our wee isle up north where the men are blue and wear skirts, and the women are hairy and wear trousers.

Oats are an ideal food with loads of uses and are stupidly easy to prepare, better than wheat which can be awkward.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
The Following User Says Thank You to GENT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Prepared

Been storing them for quite a while now. A 1 gallon bag (I got ours from LDS) will hold 10 cups. I throw a 200cc in the bottom of the bag and another in the top.

Edit, we don't split the bag
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How long will oats last for when stored in mylar bags with an oxygen absorber? I have some gallon mylar bags, I would like to fill them about half way with oats, seal, the fill the other half with oats.

These are the cans of rolled Quaker oats that you can get from the local china-mart. Open can, pour oats into mylar bags, insert oxygen absorber, seal, date and label bag, store in cool, dry, rodent free location.

Suggestions or other input?
I'd like to suggest (from my vast experience of doing this for about 3 months now) that you cut your bag in half to start with, seal the bottom of the top half to make a second bag, and go from there. Less awkward to work with, for one thing. Also less weird shaped.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts

Rolled oats in #10 cans with O2's are rated for 30 years so I'll bet you can get close to that in mylar & buckets.
I'll probably be dead by the time mine go bad. If you rotate them every 15-20 years you'll have nothing to worry about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,531 Times in 3,000 Posts

Per the LDS inventory sheet, properly stored oats can last up to 30 years. I uploaded their form but take it for what it's worth and do your own due diligence.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,765 Times in 32,478 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Oats are one grain with an exceptionally long storage life. I've had them last for years just sitting in the pantry. Oddly enough, regular rolled oats seem to have a longer shelf life than steel cut oats. But I'm not sure why. Either way, they will both last for 20 years or more packed in mylar with O2 absorbers.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Free Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post
I would be very interested in input on this also, we have lots of history of oats as a core staple on our wee isle up north where the men are blue and wear skirts, and the women are hairy and wear trousers.

Oats are an ideal food with loads of uses and are stupidly easy to prepare, better than wheat which can be awkward.
Kev was talking about oat meal (rolled oats) not oat groats (the seed inside the husk).

Do you know of a use for whole oats with the husk on. Can they be ground into flour?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Forum Administrator

Thank you for the chart Bearack.

What I am thinking about doing, get some of those ziplock mylar bags in the gallon size, or half gallon size, seal them with an iron, and put several mylar bags into a 5 gallon bucket.

That way the "whole" bucket does not need to be opened. When you want the oats, open a single bag, and its resealable.

When I was sealing up my last batch of mylar bags, my wife asked about being able to reseal the bags after their opened - just to keep bugs, gnats,,,, an other stuff out of the bag. So I thought about ordering some of those ziplock bags, go ahead and seal them with an iron, and have the option to reseal them with the ziplock.

Looking at the prices, it seems that the mylar bags with the ziplock are only about 15 - 20 cents more then the ones without the extra ziplock.

Another idea I had was to buy some small mylar bags with the ziplock - something we could pour boiling water into and cook the oats inside the bag. This would be like 2 servings or single serving size bags.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteader1 View Post

................................ Can they be ground into flour?

they most certainly can
The Following User Says Thank You to kmech For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Whippersnapper

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteader1 View Post
Kev was talking about oat meal (rolled oats) not oat groats (the seed inside the husk).

Do you know of a use for whole oats with the husk on. Can they be ground into flour?
Oh, well the same goes for oats in any form I suppose.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Prepared

We've been putting 6-8 ziploc bags by themselves in the buckets for whatever is needed.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmech View Post
We've been putting 6-8 ziploc bags by themselves in the buckets for whatever is needed.
What size ziplocks bags do you use to get 6 - 8 of them in a 5 gallon bucket?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Prepared

Quote:
What size ziplocks bags do you use to get 6 - 8 of them in a 5 gallon bucket?
Uhhmmm, they are empty. Guess I should have clarified. I could have said it was a special 5 gal bucket.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the chart Bearack.

What I am thinking about doing, get some of those ziplock mylar bags in the gallon size, or half gallon size, seal them with an iron, and put several mylar bags into a 5 gallon bucket.

That way the "whole" bucket does not need to be opened. When you want the oats, open a single bag, and its resealable.

When I was sealing up my last batch of mylar bags, my wife asked about being able to reseal the bags after their opened - just to keep bugs, gnats,,,, an other stuff out of the bag. So I thought about ordering some of those ziplock bags, go ahead and seal them with an iron, and have the option to reseal them with the ziplock.

Looking at the prices, it seems that the mylar bags with the ziplock are only about 15 - 20 cents more then the ones without the extra ziplock.

Another idea I had was to buy some small mylar bags with the ziplock - something we could pour boiling water into and cook the oats inside the bag. This would be like 2 servings or single serving size bags.
Wendy Mae did of video of just what you want to do. A link to it is posted here somewhere.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,597 Times in 886 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

I don't recommend the whole oats for people. The husk is hard and sharp. It is usually mechanically removed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,399 Times in 579 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

The wife eats oatmeal every morning made from quick rolled oats we put up in 98 and 99 in 6 gallon superpails. It takes her 6 months or more to rotate each superpail. She says she only uses about 1/4 cup per day.

Just roll the mylar back on to itself if it's only going to be open a short time (when you go to rotate).
Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Free Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalistmomma View Post
I don't recommend the whole oats for people. The husk is hard and sharp. It is usually mechanically removed.

Thanks. I was in the feed store yesterday and they had the whole oats but no oat groats. I purchased some oat groats last year at a health food store but they were expensive.

I did pick up a bag of feed corn. I opened it today. It looks better than the corn I purchased from a grist mill last year.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,765 Times in 32,478 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalistmomma View Post

You can sometimes find "naked oats" for sale. This is a variety that grows without a husk. But I think I'd just go for oat groats instead if I wanted the whole grain like that. They're a lot easier to find. I just store steel cut and rolled oats, myself.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Mall ninja in training

Oats are so cheap, nutritional, and great tasting that I am storing up (about halfway there) a full year worth of breakfasts.

So first of all, I like having a full year of breakfast. But second, I am also saving up brown sugar, jam, and jelly for flavoring.

Third, it's cheap as hell. I paid around $2.50 yesterday for 30 servings of 150 calories, or roughly 2 days worth of calories. Once I find a place for the 50lb bags, I would expect to pay half that. A half cup is pretty filling. sweeteners are pretty cheap, and I would hope to have some fresh milk product to add at the time of preparation.

I worked the calcs out at one point and I figured I would spend less than $200 for a year of breakfast. Can't remember if that was for 2 people or not. Either way, super cheap and awesome.

And if you prefer instant oats to the whole grain oats, try adding some cream cheese to your oats, it makes a huge difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTexasHammer For This Useful Post: