Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
kev's Avatar
kev kev is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Age: 46
Posts: 14,870
Thanks: 1,718
Thanked 32,617 Times in 6,801 Posts
Default Storing oats in mylar bags



Advertise Here

How long will oats last for when stored in mylar bags with an oxygen absorber? I have some gallon mylar bags, I would like to fill them about half way with oats, seal, the fill the other half with oats.

These are the cans of rolled Quaker oats that you can get from the local china-mart. Open can, pour oats into mylar bags, insert oxygen absorber, seal, date and label bag, store in cool, dry, rodent free location.

Suggestions or other input?
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM
GENT's Avatar
GENT GENT is offline
Whippersnapper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain.
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 2,626
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,255 Posts
Default

I would be very interested in input on this also, we have lots of history of oats as a core staple on our wee isle up north where the men are blue and wear skirts, and the women are hairy and wear trousers.

Oats are an ideal food with loads of uses and are stupidly easy to prepare, better than wheat which can be awkward.
__________________
We are oft to blame in this, - 'Tis too much proved - that with devotion's visage And pious action we do sugar o'er The devil himself.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
The Following User Says Thank You to GENT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
kmech kmech is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 369
Thanks: 20
Thanked 319 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Been storing them for quite a while now. A 1 gallon bag (I got ours from LDS) will hold 10 cups. I throw a 200cc in the bottom of the bag and another in the top.

Edit, we don't split the bag
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Allamakee County's Avatar
Allamakee County Allamakee County is online now
Pleasantly demented woman
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Albin, Iowa
Age: 52
Posts: 3,484
Thanks: 6,461
Thanked 5,327 Times in 2,161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
How long will oats last for when stored in mylar bags with an oxygen absorber? I have some gallon mylar bags, I would like to fill them about half way with oats, seal, the fill the other half with oats.

These are the cans of rolled Quaker oats that you can get from the local china-mart. Open can, pour oats into mylar bags, insert oxygen absorber, seal, date and label bag, store in cool, dry, rodent free location.

Suggestions or other input?
I'd like to suggest (from my vast experience of doing this for about 3 months now) that you cut your bag in half to start with, seal the bottom of the top half to make a second bag, and go from there. Less awkward to work with, for one thing. Also less weird shaped.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 AM
techo's Avatar
techo techo is offline
I'll fix it
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida
Age: 55
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 1,252
Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts
Default

Rolled oats in #10 cans with O2's are rated for 30 years so I'll bet you can get close to that in mylar & buckets.
I'll probably be dead by the time mine go bad. If you rotate them every 15-20 years you'll have nothing to worry about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Bearack's Avatar
Bearack Bearack is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,528
Thanks: 2,382
Thanked 9,531 Times in 3,000 Posts
Default

Per the LDS inventory sheet, properly stored oats can last up to 30 years. I uploaded their form but take it for what it's worth and do your own due diligence.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 49,407
Thanks: 88,661
Thanked 99,765 Times in 32,478 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Oats are one grain with an exceptionally long storage life. I've had them last for years just sitting in the pantry. Oddly enough, regular rolled oats seem to have a longer shelf life than steel cut oats. But I'm not sure why. Either way, they will both last for 20 years or more packed in mylar with O2 absorbers.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
homesteader1's Avatar
homesteader1 homesteader1 is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spartanburg County South Carolina
Posts: 1,076
Thanks: 1,313
Thanked 909 Times in 480 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post
I would be very interested in input on this also, we have lots of history of oats as a core staple on our wee isle up north where the men are blue and wear skirts, and the women are hairy and wear trousers.

Oats are an ideal food with loads of uses and are stupidly easy to prepare, better than wheat which can be awkward.
Kev was talking about oat meal (rolled oats) not oat groats (the seed inside the husk).

Do you know of a use for whole oats with the husk on. Can they be ground into flour?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM
kev's Avatar
kev kev is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Age: 46
Posts: 14,870
Thanks: 1,718
Thanked 32,617 Times in 6,801 Posts
Default

Thank you for the chart Bearack.

What I am thinking about doing, get some of those ziplock mylar bags in the gallon size, or half gallon size, seal them with an iron, and put several mylar bags into a 5 gallon bucket.

That way the "whole" bucket does not need to be opened. When you want the oats, open a single bag, and its resealable.

When I was sealing up my last batch of mylar bags, my wife asked about being able to reseal the bags after their opened - just to keep bugs, gnats,,,, an other stuff out of the bag. So I thought about ordering some of those ziplock bags, go ahead and seal them with an iron, and have the option to reseal them with the ziplock.

Looking at the prices, it seems that the mylar bags with the ziplock are only about 15 - 20 cents more then the ones without the extra ziplock.

Another idea I had was to buy some small mylar bags with the ziplock - something we could pour boiling water into and cook the oats inside the bag. This would be like 2 servings or single serving size bags.
__________________
Our survival gear Section

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
kmech kmech is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 369
Thanks: 20
Thanked 319 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteader1 View Post

................................ Can they be ground into flour?


they most certainly can
The Following User Says Thank You to kmech For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
GENT's Avatar
GENT GENT is offline
Whippersnapper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain.
Posts: 2,659
Thanks: 2,626
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteader1 View Post
Kev was talking about oat meal (rolled oats) not oat groats (the seed inside the husk).

Do you know of a use for whole oats with the husk on. Can they be ground into flour?
Oh, well the same goes for oats in any form I suppose.
__________________
We are oft to blame in this, - 'Tis too much proved - that with devotion's visage And pious action we do sugar o'er The devil himself.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
kmech kmech is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 369
Thanks: 20
Thanked 319 Times in 140 Posts
Default

We've been putting 6-8 ziploc bags by themselves in the buckets for whatever is needed.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
kev's Avatar
kev kev is offline
Forum Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Age: 46
Posts: 14,870
Thanks: 1,718
Thanked 32,617 Times in 6,801 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmech View Post
We've been putting 6-8 ziploc bags by themselves in the buckets for whatever is needed.
What size ziplocks bags do you use to get 6 - 8 of them in a 5 gallon bucket?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
kmech kmech is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 369
Thanks: 20
Thanked 319 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
What size ziplocks bags do you use to get 6 - 8 of them in a 5 gallon bucket?
Uhhmmm, they are empty. Guess I should have clarified. I could have said it was a special 5 gal bucket.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
cranky1950's Avatar
cranky1950 cranky1950 is offline
My Temperature is Right
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 5,578
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Thank you for the chart Bearack.

What I am thinking about doing, get some of those ziplock mylar bags in the gallon size, or half gallon size, seal them with an iron, and put several mylar bags into a 5 gallon bucket.

That way the "whole" bucket does not need to be opened. When you want the oats, open a single bag, and its resealable.

When I was sealing up my last batch of mylar bags, my wife asked about being able to reseal the bags after their opened - just to keep bugs, gnats,,,, an other stuff out of the bag. So I thought about ordering some of those ziplock bags, go ahead and seal them with an iron, and have the option to reseal them with the ziplock.

Looking at the prices, it seems that the mylar bags with the ziplock are only about 15 - 20 cents more then the ones without the extra ziplock.

Another idea I had was to buy some small mylar bags with the ziplock - something we could pour boiling water into and cook the oats inside the bag. This would be like 2 servings or single serving size bags.
Wendy Mae did of video of just what you want to do. A link to it is posted here somewhere.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
survivalistmomma's Avatar
survivalistmomma survivalistmomma is offline
Mom Walton
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: On a homestead in the woods
Posts: 1,390
Thanks: 4,764
Thanked 2,597 Times in 886 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

I don't recommend the whole oats for people. The husk is hard and sharp. It is usually mechanically removed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Lowdown3 Lowdown3 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida/Georgia
Posts: 1,306
Thanks: 402
Thanked 1,399 Times in 579 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

The wife eats oatmeal every morning made from quick rolled oats we put up in 98 and 99 in 6 gallon superpails. It takes her 6 months or more to rotate each superpail. She says she only uses about 1/4 cup per day.

Just roll the mylar back on to itself if it's only going to be open a short time (when you go to rotate).
Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
homesteader1's Avatar
homesteader1 homesteader1 is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spartanburg County South Carolina
Posts: 1,076
Thanks: 1,313
Thanked 909 Times in 480 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalistmomma View Post
I don't recommend the whole oats for people. The husk is hard and sharp. It is usually mechanically removed.

Thanks. I was in the feed store yesterday and they had the whole oats but no oat groats. I purchased some oat groats last year at a health food store but they were expensive.

I did pick up a bag of feed corn. I opened it today. It looks better than the corn I purchased from a grist mill last year.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 49,407
Thanks: 88,661
Thanked 99,765 Times in 32,478 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalistmomma View Post
I don't recommend the whole oats for people. The husk is hard and sharp. It is usually mechanically removed.

You can sometimes find "naked oats" for sale. This is a variety that grows without a husk. But I think I'd just go for oat groats instead if I wanted the whole grain like that. They're a lot easier to find. I just store steel cut and rolled oats, myself.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 PM
TheTexasHammer's Avatar
TheTexasHammer TheTexasHammer is offline
Mall ninja in training
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 461
Thanks: 490
Thanked 451 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Oats are so cheap, nutritional, and great tasting that I am storing up (about halfway there) a full year worth of breakfasts.

So first of all, I like having a full year of breakfast. But second, I am also saving up brown sugar, jam, and jelly for flavoring.

Third, it's cheap as hell. I paid around $2.50 yesterday for 30 servings of 150 calories, or roughly 2 days worth of calories. Once I find a place for the 50lb bags, I would expect to pay half that. A half cup is pretty filling. sweeteners are pretty cheap, and I would hope to have some fresh milk product to add at the time of preparation.

I worked the calcs out at one point and I figured I would spend less than $200 for a year of breakfast. Can't remember if that was for 2 people or not. Either way, super cheap and awesome.

And if you prefer instant oats to the whole grain oats, try adding some cream cheese to your oats, it makes a huge difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTexasHammer For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
food for shtf, mylar bags, oats, oats in mylar bags, rolled oats in mylar bags, shtf food, stockpiling food, stockpiling food for teotwawki, storing food in mylar bags, storing oats for shtf, storing oats in mylar bags



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storing spices in mylar meemo Food and water 29 06-15-2014 07:10 PM
storing sugar and salt in Mylar bags. CO-retired Food and water 16 05-24-2011 12:08 AM
Mylar bags dizzylizzy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 03-27-2011 10:10 PM
Mylar Bags WannaLearn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 03-27-2011 09:40 PM
Storing wild berries in mylar bags kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 03-10-2010 09:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net