Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Default My .22lr Storage Solution

Advertise Here

I have a solution to what I never knew was a problem to share today. I keep reading about people trying to figure out an alternative to storing bulk .22lr ammo, which comes in those annoying cardboard boxes we have all had fail on us at least once. What I do is take an old peanut butter jar and put it in there, and cut off the front and back of the box so I can identify it easier and still have access to the ballistics information, and slide it in the jar.

A "normal" (the size I generally buy) peanut butter jar holds about 600 rounds.

What I like most about this is that not only do you get a more sturdy package, the lid of the jar is perfect to hold a small amount of ammo while you are loading your magazines, instead of dumping it out onto the table.

People do similar things with mason jars, but I never liked that method since they are glass and I don't really want to transport glass jars to the range or out hunting.

Also, since these jars are air and water tight, if you throw an o2 absorber and some silica gel in there it will keep your ammo nice and fresh almost indefinately.

Another option if you happen to have old nalgene bottles you're not using anymore is to use them. An interesting fact is that using a 1000 ml nalgene, the ML marks actually are pretty accurate as far as estimating the number of rounds left (100ml = 100 rounds approx). This method really isn't worth it unless you already have the nalgene bottles and don't use them anymore though.
Attached Thumbnails
mail.jpg  
Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Prepared

Thats a good idea, I try and refrain from buying ammo loose like that though. For storage I vapor seal the boxs in plastic same with my bricks of ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to graf56 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,123 Posts

I have been using 20 ounce soda bottles and they hold a 550 round box comfortably. I lable each one with an embolssing tape lable and tape over that for extra measure with 3 inch clear packing tape. A little RTV around the threads seals them air tight incase the cap aint good enough. Not only do I have a ganmg of these at the house and BOL, I also have one stashed\cached just about every place I freaquently camp or fish...never know when you might get "stuck" a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

I dont buy the .22 ammo that comes in carboard boxes. I stay strictly with CCI mini-mags. Two of those 100 round plastic boxes fit dandy in my back pocket, and a crapload of those boxes will fit in an ammo can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 AM
You're no daisy

Thanked 1,798 Times in 680 Posts

Good idea! I too have had a bulk packs bust on me, and I've seen it happen to other people over the years... saw it happen at Cabelas a few months back! We dont buy much peanut butter, but I will ask around the table at Easter. I'm sure some of my cousins/aunts buy peanut butter and save the jars.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM

Racket Ball and Tennis ball Jars/sleeves are good fro .22lr storage.
I store mine loose in .30 cal ammo cans with Cloth bags of dessicant.

A small bottle like that would be great for transport to the range or in a BOB.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,141 Times in 344 Posts

Someone got peanut butter on my .22 rounds.....
Well someone got .22 rounds on my peanut butter...
The new Reeses rimfire.
They will take down a snickers bar at 100 yards and taste good doing it!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:17 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

in the larger cans you can get 5000 rounds in them perfect fit

I take the 50rnd boxes out make a layer of 3000 rnds in the vacume seal bag and vacume seal it with a 02 absorber put it in then do the remaining 2000rnds and do same thing

also alot more efficient you put penut butter jars together you have lotta wasted space cause its a round container
Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,360 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattvct View Post
I have a solution to what I never knew was a problem to share today. I keep reading about people trying to figure out an alternative to storing bulk .22lr ammo, which comes in those annoying cardboard boxes we have all had fail on us at least once. What I do is take an old peanut butter jar and put it in there, and cut off the front and back of the box so I can identify it easier and still have access to the ballistics information, and slide it in the jar.

A "normal" (the size I generally buy) peanut butter jar holds about 600 rounds.

What I like most about this is that not only do you get a more sturdy package, the lid of the jar is perfect to hold a small amount of ammo while you are loading your magazines, instead of dumping it out onto the table.

People do similar things with mason jars, but I never liked that method since they are glass and I don't really want to transport glass jars to the range or out hunting.

Also, since these jars are air and water tight, if you throw an o2 absorber and some silica gel in there it will keep your ammo nice and fresh almost indefinately.

Another option if you happen to have old nalgene bottles you're not using anymore is to use them. An interesting fact is that using a 1000 ml nalgene, the ML marks actually are pretty accurate as far as estimating the number of rounds left (100ml = 100 rounds approx). This method really isn't worth it unless you already have the nalgene bottles and don't use them anymore though.
Aw man, you stole this from me off that other post!!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=163284

I get 150 9mms & 100 38spl in that size jar. The one that is about 28oz I can get 250 9mm. It fits so perfect you'd think they were made for holding bullets.

you're welcome
Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 PM

I have that I like the 1 pint flask shaped plastic liquor bottles better because they store flat in your pocket(what they were made for) or anywhere else and hold a lot of 22lr ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to jay77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,592 Times in 2,965 Posts

I accumulate ammo faster than I empty peanut butter jars.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Prepared

I posted this in another thread but maybe this one is a better fit....

I was thinking the other day on how I could stash some .22LR in a BOB to make it a little less obvious.
Here's my idea....3/8" PEX tubing

My BOB pack has the inner frame made of 2 thin aluminum rails.
I thought not to replace them, but add a tube or 2 of 3/8" PEX tubing along side. (I measured and found 3/8" to be the right size to slide the rounds into).
You can cut the PEX to any length(I bought a 5' piece for less then $2)to fit as many rounds as you want to carry or same size as your pack frame.
You can cap the ends with whatever, duct tape, plastic chair leg end caps,..etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to MN_Martian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Ready-ish

I'm on my phone so this may have been said already, I didn't read every post. My grandpa eats chocolate covered raisins from costco a lot, and the salted caramel too. I use those containers to hold mine, I am just taking a guess they hold around 1500 rounds and I stack them in stacks of 3 by 3 containers in the closet.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

I wonder if those big plastic vitamin bottles they sell at Costco are waterproof? If so, those might be a good option too. The plastic looks a little sturdier than a peanut butter bottle.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdon68 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,766 Times in 872 Posts

I'll stick with my ammo cans.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Great idea, Ill be giving it a shot next time I have a empty peanut butter jar, or similar jars.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,499 Times in 3,975 Posts

I have never in all my years worried about my factory ammo .
Very rarely has a round failed except ones I loaded my self .OOps.
Always look for the dust to fly.
I once found my dad's old .32 rimfire revolver remmington Lion, and I fixed it ,the hammer spring had broken . I found some really old ammo and tried it out. To my supprize it worked. I still have it . ammo's too rare to play that game twice.
One big no no is never use WD 40 to clean your bullets. it will neutralize the powder.
It was a common mistake among the mexicans to keep every thing shiney with wd 40 till they learned the hard way WD40 is a penitrant solvant.
This happened in the LA area and the gun shops were telling me about it.
I have hundreds may be thousands of old military rounds i plan to extract the powder and re load with it.(I'll test it of course)
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have never in all my years worried about my factory ammo .
Very rarely has a round failed except ones I loaded my self .OOps.
Always look for the dust to fly.
I once found my dad's old .32 rimfire revolver remmington Lion, and I fixed it ,the hammer spring had broken . I found some really old ammo and tried it out. To my supprize it worked. I still have it . ammo's too rare to play that game twice.
One big no no is never use WD 40 to clean your bullets. it will neutralize the powder.
It was a common mistake among the mexicans to keep every thing shiney with wd 40 till they learned the hard way WD40 is a penitrant solvant.
This happened in the LA area and the gun shops were telling me about it.
I have hundreds may be thousands of old military rounds i plan to extract the powder and re load with it.(I'll test it of course)
Thanks for sharing that....I thought I was missing something. I too have had ammo thats years old. I've never worried about it going "bad". I should probably store it a little better than just sitting on a shelf in a box, but good to hear it should be ok anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,675 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post

in the larger cans you can get 5000 rounds in them perfect fit

I take the 50rnd boxes out make a layer of 3000 rnds in the vacume seal bag and vacume seal it with a 02 absorber put it in then do the remaining 2000rnds and do same thing

also alot more efficient you put penut butter jars together you have lotta wasted space cause its a round container
That's how I store mine.
Works like a charm and doesn't rattle like a snake.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 5,466 Times in 2,047 Posts

Last summer, I acquired some 9mm ammo that was from the Spanish civil war. It had been stored in it's original cardboard box in a ventilated Georgia attic for at least 40 years of it's 75 year life. That means it was exposed to temps anywhere from single digits to 120 degrees, and with near 100% humidity on many days.

It shot fine. They all went bang, they all hit the paper.

I don't really worry about how I store ammo, other than simple convenience. Boxes stack better on a shelf, but I can see the value in putting it in a jar or something for carrying.

Az
The Following User Says Thank You to azb For This Useful Post: