Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Prepared

Default Family SHTF training

Advertise Here

As a newbie I am culling all the information I can to best start prepping. My question is for my family members i.e. wife and kids. I am in thte millitary and have extensive knowledge in weapons and area/site security. Outside of gear and rations prepping, what would be the logical skills training that should/can be accomplished first? My plans are taking the wife and oldest daughter to the gun range regularly to get the weapons training first. I also thought that camping as rough as I can get my wife to buy off on would be a great start. I have 2 young boys (4,3) and not sure what I should do as far as skills training. Planning on Cub/Boy scouts as soon as I can get them into it. What say all of you?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Personally, I found cub scouts to be a waste. I started out helping the den leader, became the den leader, then cubmaster. My experience was that I became an advanced babysitter. I was teaching kids to fish so that parents didn't have to. My kids ended up suffering because they had to tolerate a bunch of snot nosed whiners that required too much of my time, taking it from my own children. We still do everything that we would have done in scouts, but we do it as a family unit. It builds on all of our family values, allows us to put a prepper/survivalist slant to it without sheeple interference, allows me to focus on each of my kids fully, and there is a lot less liability compared to taking a busload of kids that have "sue happy" parents out in the woods.

As far as training your family/kids goes, you need to team up with your wife and turn your back yard into a classroom. Build a million "micro fires" in the back yard. Let them practice striking a fire, breathing an ember to life, putting out a fire, etc. This is a great way to teach fire safety as well as give them hands on experience. Put the tent up, take it down, put it up, take it down. Just like at boot when you had to learn to assemble/disassemble your weapon in the dark, apply that mentality to all your gear. Get the kids involved by timing you, helping you, etc. Soon you will be timing them. Also, take the whole family to the gun range. Work with your wife as a team. One shoots while the other is the "safety officer" watching the kids, as well as the other shooters. This will help familiarize the younger ones with safety rules and equipment, as well as give you the opportunity to demonstrate your willingness to include them. As the trust builds you can work in to letting them help hang targets or carry things for you. Soon you will be hanging targets for them.

Following this approach of "quantitative easing" we have turned our family into survivalist preppers. After a day of some activity that might include non-preppers, my kids will point out and discuss things that they noticed could have been done better, safer, faster, cheaper, etc. They understand opsec, discretion, timing, etc. They know why we go to the store late, when few people shop, to buy certain items, or why we might pay more for an item to get it at a more discrete location. They know where every prep I have is and how to use it. All of it is there to keep us on top, so they have to know how to use it without me, or to help me. Each of us has our strengths and weaknesses, but as a family we are pretty strong.

One thing you will notice is that most gear is not designed for young ones. You might have to modify that firesteel to fit small hands. Carving a nice little handle for the steel and striker will make things much easier. Small hands lack some of the strength and dexterity required of some tasks. Don't just modify the kids to fit the equipment, modify the equipment to fit the kids when you can. Teach them to adapt and overcome, and they will.

enough rambling.......good luck

Weaz
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Weaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Prepared

That is some great advise. I was in scouts and had alot of fun. Agreed the "Sue happy" mentality has realy set in, and was for the most part not part of my experiance. I like getting the most bang for your buck as far as making the family activities training activities. I will be taking my 9yr old daughter to the pistol range here soon, and our next date night will be spent there too. Thanks for your info and will apply what you said to our prepping.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,586 Times in 6,679 Posts

We have regular get-togethers with friends and family members, cook outs, camping trips,,,, stuff like that.

Lets say that we have some kind of disaster and people have to evacuate to our house, its just like one of our get-togethers.

While we have friends and family members over, I try to pay attention to peoples habits, how much the bathrooms are used, ability to cook for everyone, how much we eat,,,, stuff like that.

Another thing I have made it a point to do, make sure my kids were introduced to deer meat at a young age. Its nothing for us to eat deer sausage and think nothing of it.

When my kids were little, I started taking them out to the deer stands, getting them some target practice in, and make sure the kids know firearms safety.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,695 Posts

It's far more likely you're going to need basic bush-craft and first aid skills than you are to bring your kids into a gun fight. I'm not saying kids shouldn't be trained with firearms, but order or priorities come into play.

Teaching fire building, camp set up, cooking, etc. will be skills that will benefit them in many ways. But don't go overboard too fast. Pushing too hard of a transition on them is likely to turn them off of the entire idea. The point is to get them interested themselves, not to create a forced training camp.

Integrate it into everyday life gradually, and they'll learn amazing things while having a good time.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

There is not a lot of self-sufficiency skills you can teach a 3 year old. As stated, they dont have the hand dexterity, judgement, or physical strength for most tasks. Teach them basic camping stuff, reading a map, "hug a tree" when lost, dont play with spiders, snakes or insects, etc. At that age, they are still learning their own bodies, teach them to use sunscreen religiously and recognize insect bites.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Prepared

Thanks guys I realy appreciate the input. Although I have Military weapons training.............I hate to say it I have never been hunting. Basic/Advanced weapons handling (Bone Support, Breath/Trigger Control) I've got in spades. How would I go about learning to hunt when all of my friends co-workers are all suburbanites. I know I would be a loud trigger happy retard, but do I just go to the gun store and start asking around who the hunters are and can I tag along?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,929 Times in 1,536 Posts

Every time I have my grand kids we do the rounds. Stack some fire wood, check out the lake and fishing, run the boats, weed the garden and see the chickens and bunnies. They are only 2 and 4 so they dont do much yet. The 4 year old helps me stack fire wood and he pulls weeds in the garden. Both are being taught the old ways. Gardens, wood cutting, hunting, fishing, In general farming and gathering skills. Kingfish
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 492 Posts

What kid doesn't like building forts...I mean, emergency shelters.