Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
all is ... well but here

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_camper View Post
I have a groundhog problem and cant get rid of them, they are getting to where they wont go into the cage traps. We have gassed them by piping exhaust into a hole with the others plugged, and killed some of them, but we can never get them all. They are undermining the foundation of a barn. Any ideas on how else to get them. I would shoot them but am away at school all of the time. I have thought about snares at the holes to catch them but I have never snared before. Any help would be appreciated.
us groundhogs get a bum rap.......i better get out of here before some takes a shot at me ......hey look a piece of gum...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FIREBLADE For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBLADE View Post
us groundhogs get a bum rap.......i better get out of here before some takes a shot at me ......hey look a piece of gum...
Thanks for posting that I needed a laugh
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Hiker

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..

how about antifreeze in small containers in their holes?

It does a number on feral cat, skunks and possums.
The Following User Says Thank You to passin thru For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Prepared

smoke bomb and a .22, It works with smaller animals like moles. When i was younger, I liked to take some fireworks, does not really matter what you use, and stick them in mole holes. Cover the hole after the fuse is ignited. I started doing this to see where the smoke would come up. Eventually, I noticed the moles leaving the holes, so i grabbed my pellet gun and had a little fun. Now, my cats deal with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to LandOLakeS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Hiker

A little pepper powder in each hole will make them move on to greener pastures
The Following User Says Thank You to paintballarmsdealer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks to all of you for your ideas. Now I will have to get busy when I get home for Easter
Old 04-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,098 Times in 449 Posts

Ever see one climb a tree? They may be wintering in the barn, or at least dining there.

ISS
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
A Lone Star

Thanked 10,165 Times in 4,618 Posts

poisonif you cant shoot them, or get some birds to move in, the falcons an owls feast on them where im at, a mean dog would have fun with them also.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,248 Times in 3,121 Posts

Mothballs in the holes also work at keeping them away.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Prepared

Get rid of them? Why that thar is a SHTF buffet! Don't kill 'em yet. Just stock BBQ sauce.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DigitalSherpa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,034 Times in 605 Posts

About the best is a conibar trap the large ones, like 12/12. As they come out of hole they trip the trigger in the middle an it snaps on their bodies ,have seen these work very well an they hardly ever get away, get the double spring model .Use to hunt them in michigan an they can be a headache for the farmers , I'd shot out an area and in the springs they move from other areas looking for new diggs, an the fun started all over again. I'd trap and shot all around your place to clear out as big an area as possible to cut down on new critters coming back in.
The Following User Says Thank You to airdrop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,034 Times in 605 Posts

Reading some of the stuff ,they are veggitarians poison ????? I have seen them up on large electrical towers,trees, in old farm equipment,on fence post ,they love to look around. They are not that small an have seen only one small young one pickup by a hawk an that didn't last long as he landed in front of my car at the edge of a farm feld while I was hunting. Furry missle 1 o'clock. They whistle to sound danger an in a flash are down the hole. When I walked an would see one laying on the rim of the hole I'd keeping walking but spin to walk backwards to bring the gun to the hole side for quick aim then when ready stop short an pull the shot , if you stopped then spun it was to late lol. I hunted them for 3 years with 75 or more a year an the next year it's like I never hunted there at all , they are very hard to take out completely.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
In Oklahoma we called them "Whistle Pigs" and when I was young, we would eat them...a lawn chair, a cold drink, and a 22LR is all you need.
Thats a good day out
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM

I used to shoot them here but it is getting risky with a house each direction so I box trap them then shoot them. Never seen them get trap shy here but I have them under control. Got my first of the year yesterday. They can't resist cut up apples. The biggest thing is once you get them under control stay on them, once I see one eating in the yard the trap is set
Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Lonesome Road

Thanked 1,638 Times in 559 Posts

Sounds like this could be a good weekend for you and your school mates. Like SCALPHUNTER said, grab some folding chairs, smoke bombs and some .22's and go to work. Use the groundhogs to practice field dressing and skinning and even eat the meat if you want. If shooting is not an option you guys could set some poison traps and/or snares in the holes and the barn. Obviously don't eat the meat if you poison them. Should be some vids on youtube on how to set snares, if not you can find info online or books at yor library.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Prepared

I've killed hundreds of ground squirrels with a .22LR, but ground hogs are an entirely different matter. I don't like to waste time shooting them as they breed like rats and aren't as stupid as squirrels.

Here's a sure fire method for killing the whole batch. Go to your local Vato Zone and buy a case of road flares. Light them off and stuff them in every hole as you walk around the yard. It isn't the most ecologically friendly method, but it will certainly kill everything in the holes. This is the way grandpa used to kill off the whole gopher or ground hog problem. I wouldn't do it on the front lawn, but it works pretty well on the back 40.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Recent Blog:

Only problem with using fox or coyote (or maned wolf) urine is that while it might run off the groundhogs, it might run off the humans as well. I usta be a member of a wolf rescue operation and that stuff is pungent and persistent.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,213 Times in 607 Posts

Put a small fishing hook into a piece of banana, tie it to your fishing pole and do some dry land fishing.
This works for a lot of critters. You can get really good at it, and once you see them taking small bites, you head towards them and they almost always stuff it in their mouth then can take off running. This is usually when you tug a little on the line and reel him in for the catch. It works trust me.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM

A guy at work said groundhog is great table fare.........give it a try....shoot a couple and skin `em and find some recipies online......

Do report back though..........
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife View Post
Put a small fishing hook into a piece of banana, tie it to your fishing pole and do some dry land fishing.
This works for a lot of critters. You can get really good at it, and once you see them taking small bites, you head towards them and they almost always stuff it in their mouth then can take off running. This is usually when you tug a little on the line and reel him in for the catch. It works trust me.

Hope that helps.
Sounds a little inhumane..........if you can throw a hook to them, you can shoot them and dispatch them much more humanely......

And no, I hve no qualms about killing for food.......just have an issue with torturing critters.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter480 For This Useful Post: