Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Just a tad bit insane

Default Storage of rice?

Advertise Here

I know I can get it to last for about five without anythting but a cool dry place but afterward I dont know. I want to divide the bags into 1 gallon sized. I have about 100lbs right now. Any tips?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,612 Times in 7,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwaki96 View Post
I know I can get it to last for about five without anythting but a cool dry place but afterward I dont know. I want to divide the bags into 1 gallon sized. I have about 100lbs right now. Any tips?
Well, 1-gallon mylar bags w/ oxygen absorbers is a pretty standard approach.

I used to do 1-gallon bags a lot, but food takes up more room that way than if you store in bulk, i.e., 5-gallon buckets with large mylar bags.

You can seal the bags w/ an iron, or a hair straightener.
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Just a tad bit insane

how long will that stretch lifespan?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
how long will that stretch lifespan?
General consensus is somewhere between 20-30 years, depends on who you read or listen to. When writing exp. dates on my buckets I list a "use" date 15 years after storage and an exp. date 20 years after storage. That all may change once I start opening the buckets in a few more years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRUCED For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,543 Times in 32,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Mylar and O2 absorbers are the key to long term storage of any dried foods. This is discussed almost daily here so there are about a zillion threads full of good information to browse though.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,660 Times in 6,806 Posts

If you want long term storage, stay away from brown rice. It will go bad within a few months.

White rice + mylar bags + oxygen absorbers = long term storage.

Read through this list of threads about mylar bags - http://www.survivalistboards.com/tag...tag=mylar+bags

Here is a thread you might want to read about oxygen absorbers - http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=162170

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Honestly, all you need is some foodsaver bags and vacuum seal it all up, throw them in bins. White rice will last longer than you will live if stored dry & vacuumed. No need to throw O2 absorbers in the bins, just make sure rodents can't get at it
Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,760 Times in 3,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlightedJosh View Post
Honestly, all you need is some foodsaver bags and vacuum seal it all up, throw them in bins. White rice will last longer than you will live if stored dry & vacuumed. No need to throw O2 absorbers in the bins, just make sure rodents can't get at it
Vacuum sealing is for short term storage. The bags can't hold a vacuum for long because they have a high permeability to air. For most applications they're only good for 1-2 years.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html

Any concerned individual should be very wary of an organization trying to promote "transparent" barrier bags or the shiny metalized polyester material as a food storage bag. IMPAK does produce these bags for certain uses. Long-term food storage should never be one of them and as a consumer you have the right to a fraud claim if you have received such information.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default For a Few Bucks More

Quote:
Why wouldn't you pack for your kids and even your grand kids? ....... a few bucks more ...... basically the cost of a food grade bucket ....... a couple hundred pounds of rice and beans packed for 30 years is a great insurance policy and possibly a life saving legacy ........
Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Just a tad bit insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
If you want long term storage, stay away from brown rice. It will go bad within a few months.

White rice + mylar bags + oxygen absorbers = long term storage.

Read through this list of threads about mylar bags - http://www.survivalistboards.com/tag...tag=mylar+bags

Here is a thread you might want to read about oxygen absorbers - http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=162170
I am aware of the brown rice short life span somethin to do with the oils I believe. Much thanks for the links though
Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,332 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
I am aware of the brown rice short life span somethin to do with the oils I believe. Much thanks for the links though
It's sad, too, because brown rice is so delicious!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Idaho Prepper

A great idea that I came across on SuvivalBlog is free, in fact you probably throw them away. But for rice, grains, and beans its hard to beat good old 2-liter soda bottles.

It took me 7 bottles that my wife saves for me to store 25lbs of Rice. Just funnel the rice in, add an O2 absorber or do the dry ice method.

advantages:
-resealable
-laid on their side you can stack them.
-small enogh in volume that if you open one, you dant heve a huge container to eat befor it goes bad.
-did I mention free?
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel-W0LF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Guy Who Does That Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpd View Post
Vacuum sealing is for short term storage. The bags can't hold a vacuum for long because they have a high permeability to air. For most applications they're only good for 1-2 years.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html

Any concerned individual should be very wary of an organization trying to promote "transparent" barrier bags or the shiny metalized polyester material as a food storage bag. IMPAK does produce these bags for certain uses. Long-term food storage should never be one of them and as a consumer you have the right to a fraud claim if you have received such information.
Sure, but not all bags are short lived.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,559 Times in 878 Posts

Quote:
bad idea.........vacuums are for short term storage not long term

I vacpack diff stuff all the time(mostly to waterproof or short term food/meats)

after about a year the vacuum is lost

spend the money and get the damn mylar
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 12vman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,173 Times in 2,283 Posts

my plan for the family meals is based around 70% rice in the 5 gal buckets and 30% instant potatos in no. 10 cans for the two main starches of the meal...
no 10 cans of corn, green beans, peas, and pork & beans....
dried veggies of black eyes, great northern beans, red beans, and limas (and wheat kernels of course) in the 5 gal buckets w/ the adsorbers....
I do wonder about freezing whole poultry in vacuum sealed bags.. any thoughts on whether it would last for a couple of years?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,543 Times in 32,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post
my plan for the family meals is based around 70% rice in the 5 gal buckets and 30% instant potatos in no. 10 cans for the two main starches of the meal...
no 10 cans of corn, green beans, peas, and pork & beans....
dried veggies of black eyes, great northern beans, red beans, and limas (and wheat kernels of course) in the 5 gal buckets w/ the adsorbers....
I do wonder about freezing whole poultry in vacuum sealed bags.. any thoughts on whether it would last for a couple of years?
Keeping frozen foods from getting freezer burn is actually what the vacuum sealers were created for. They'll get a couple years easy. Even in the freezer they slowly lose their vacuum though. But I've never had any meat freezer burn in 2 years or so.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,173 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Keeping frozen foods from getting freezer burn is actually what the vacuum sealers were created for. They'll get a couple years easy. Even in the freezer they slowly lose their vacuum though. But I've never had any meat freezer burn in 2 years or so.
thanks, Mike... that was exactly the experience info I was looking for... I'm gonna hit the stores when the turkeys and chickens go on sale vaccum seal and toss in our unused chest freezer....I might have to replenish every 2 or 3 years, but a few hundred dollars every 24-36 months will still be the cheapest insurance policy I can get
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamakee County View Post
It's sad, too, because brown rice is so delicious!
Oh no, I just bought three 10 lb bags of organic brown basmati rice. So all this rice will only last me a few months? wah. I hope TSHTF soon or I don't know what I'll do!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Pleasantly demented woman

Thanked 5,332 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsofwash View Post
Oh no, I just bought three 10 lb bags of organic brown basmati rice. So all this rice will only last me a few months? wah. I hope TSHTF soon or I don't know what I'll do!
Yeah, keep it in the freezer, it'll be fine.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 PM

I have been storing rice in 1/2 gallon mason jars from Ace Hardware. They come 6 to case for 10FRN. I use my food savor to suckout the air and an oxy absorber from the LDS (12 cents each) A 25 pound bag of white rice from Costco fills up 7 jars. Mine are then stored in my 62 degree basement. Each jar has 32 1/4 servings. I actually measured the first one. That was 160 jars ago. They should last for years.